RL New Era and Thursday night Games Survey

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
AndyNick

Re: RL New Era and Thursday night Games Survey

Post by AndyNick »

15000 at the Leeds game with the Away end less than half full, and the flat atmosphere at the nowhere near sold out HJ, tell you all you need to know about Thursday games. 2 games which are usually extremely well attended totally ruined. On a Friday night, Wigan v Leeds would be 20000+ and Wire v Wigan would be a sell out.

Good for TV watching fans, rubbish for game goers.
robbobillinge

Post by robbobillinge »

Also completed survey. I feel that if I went to away matches, like I used to, I would hate Thursday night, but as I don't travel I don't hate em!
markill

Post by markill »

AndyNick wrote:15000 at the Leeds game with the Away end less than half full, and the flat atmosphere at the nowhere near sold out HJ, tell you all you need to know about Thursday games. 2 games which are usually extremely well attended totally ruined. On a Friday night, Wigan v Leeds would be 20000+ and Wire v Wigan would be a sell out.

Good for TV watching fans, rubbish for game goers.
Wire v Wigan has been a sell out only once at HJ I think.
in the world of mules, there are no rules

LATEST PODCAST EPISODE
https://www.spreaker.com/user/superleaguepod
old hooker

Post by old hooker »

Filled it in but not sure we will get rid of Thursday night games which imo are unsuitable.
Owd Codger

Post by Owd Codger »

15,000 at the Leeds game proved that when a good team play at the DW, the excuses for not attending disappear.

And if the game had been played on the Friday Night, the support by Leeds would have been hardly better as it is murder travelling across the Pennines on Friday in the rush hour period as people tend to only work overtime between Monday and Thursday.

Why there is any problem for home supporters to attend games on Thursday when years ago many a game was held in mid week with better attendances than what we have today.

And at the end of the day, Sky rule the roost where TV fixtures are concerned.
DaveO

Post by DaveO »

Whelley Warrior wrote:15,000 at the Leeds game proved that when a good team play at the DW, the excuses for not attending disappear.

And if the game had been played on the Friday Night, the support by Leeds would have been hardly better as it is murder travelling across the Pennines on Friday in the rush hour period as people tend to only work overtime between Monday and Thursday.
I am sure we have had larger crowds v Leeds on a Friday than 15K.
Why there is any problem for home supporters to attend games on Thursday when years ago many a game was held in mid week with better attendances than what we have today.
Different era. So many things have changed. You may as well ask why we don;t get 20K every week.
Well one reason why Thursday are rubbish is some people who travel to games can't justify the late night or just can't be there.

My son could have come to the Hudds game if it were a Friday game. He's coming home for the weekend. Can't do that on a Thursday.

You are right about the traffic but it doesn't always work. For tonight's Hudds game for some reason the M6 north for me was one long traffic jam. I only left work in Runcorn at 18:15 expecting the traffic to have died down and it was as bad as any Friday. No particular reason for it on the M6 either. No accidents.
michael inch stoke

Post by michael inch stoke »

DaveO wrote:
Whelley Warrior wrote:15,000 at the Leeds game proved that when a good team play at the DW, the excuses for not attending disappear.

Different era. So many things have changed. You may as well ask why we don;t get 20K every week.
Well one reason why Thursday are rubbish is some people who travel to games can't justify the late night or just can't be there.

My son could have come to the Hudds game if it were a Friday game. He's coming home for the weekend. Can't do that on a Thursday.

You are right about the traffic but it doesn't always work. For tonight's Hudds game for some reason the M6 north for me was one long traffic jam. I only left work in Runcorn at 18:15 expecting the traffic to have died down and it was as bad as any Friday. No particular reason for it on the M6 either. No accidents.

And there lies the reason why away fans and people like us who have to travel a distance for a home game find the thursday night games totally unsuitable.
Owd Codger

Post by Owd Codger »

michael inch stoke wrote:
DaveO wrote:

And there lies the reason why away fans and people like us who have to travel a distance for a home game find the thursday night games totally unsuitable.
Supporters like myself never had any problem travelling to more often away games prior to the days of SKY.

Even went to work on a night shift on my way home from a match at the Watersheddings.

To newcomers, the former ground of Oldham!
Mike
Site Admin

Post by Mike »

I quite like them sometimes because it keeps Friday evening free. Although when its on TV I sometime forget and don't watch.
⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
michael inch stoke

Post by michael inch stoke »

Whelley Warrior wrote:
Supporters like myself never had any problem travelling to more often away games prior to the days of SKY.

Even went to work on a night shift on my way home from a match at the Watersheddings.

To newcomers, the former ground of Oldham!
I dont finish work until 5pm. 20 minutes to get home from there. Quick shower and change of clothes because the job i do i get pretty dirty. Leave home just before 6pm and journey can take 90 minutes plus on a bad day. As you can see, that can be cutting it a bit fine with no time for anything to eat, I finish work at 1pm on friday so there is no problem getting wigan on that day.
However when you have been a self confessed super fan there is never any problem getting anywhere is there?