Wigan v Hudds

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
BriH

Re: Wigan v Hudds

Post by BriH »

nathan_rugby wrote:Absolute garbage.

No great forward running.

No skillful play.

No space created.

Completely boring as per usual.
You were obviously watching a different game to everybody else! :exc:
BriH

Post by BriH »

Great result at the end.
We will obviously have to improve vs. Leeds. Can't afford to play like we did in the first 20 mins against Leeds.
Good, hard contested game with some great performances especially LF.
josie andrews

Post by josie andrews »

KOOCH wrote:It was not the best game of rugby to watch with errors to boot.But some people just are not willing to accept that Huddersfield came with a decent game plan that they stuck with and it nearly paid off.They are a good solid defensive unit that many teams will find hard to break down.Unfortunately too many posters are so obsessed with finding fault within our own ranks than looking at what Huddersfield did right to break us down. Shaun Wane and our coaching staff will not be blind to the fact that it was not down to just how bad our players where but how good Huddersfield where in exploiting our weakness.Paul Anderson ( a man who I loathe because of his comments when a saints player about Wigan)is not a stupid person nor his coaching staff. Yes Gelling was a little lazy and Manfredi was playing out of position but give some credit to Huddersfield.We won a n ugly game that either side could have won but fortunately we won out. The real test of character comes next week.But all this aside credit to the team for coming away with a win.
What did he say?
Anyone can support a team when it is winning, that takes no courage.
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
that takes a lot of courage. #18thMan
southportcdm

Post by southportcdm »

We'll have to give Dom Manfredi some time to adjust to that wing bearing in mind that he'll probably be playing there next year. If he or Josh can't adjust we'll have to buy a replacement for next season. Huddersfield definitely targeted Dom's wing and on the whole I thought he did fine. I don't know enough about the defensive positioning of players to apportion blame for the first two tries but I'm sure that it isn't always the winger who's at fault, he's just the bloke that looks like he's messed up. He did well under the high ball and took his try well. I did get the impression that he had to think about everything that he did (e.g. when trying to step his opposite number) rather than just do it naturally but hopefully it will get easier with more game time. Let's not forget that this is really his first full season and he's made excellent progress.
robspark

Post by robspark »

southportcdm wrote:We'll have to give Dom Manfredi some time to adjust to that wing bearing in mind that he'll probably be playing there next year. If he or Josh can't adjust we'll have to buy a replacement for next season. Huddersfield definitely targeted Dom's wing and on the whole I thought he did fine. I don't know enough about the defensive positioning of players to apportion blame for the first two tries but I'm sure that it isn't always the winger who's at fault, he's just the bloke that looks like he's messed up. He did well under the high ball and took his try well. I did get the impression that he had to think about everything that he did (e.g. when trying to step his opposite number) rather than just do it naturally but hopefully it will get easier with more game time. Let's not forget that this is really his first full season and he's made excellent progress.
Agreed, I rate Dom he works hard and is worth his position in my opinion. Play another winger out of his natural position after a two month break and possibly expect the same issues.

He will grow into the left wing position with a little time, lets not forget he's not played many games on the left wing he's a natural right footed winger and its going to take time that he more than deserves for me.

positionally swap Charnley and Bateman for Manfredi and Gelling and compare the two????
Southern Softy

Post by Southern Softy »

Whelley Warrior wrote:
DaveO wrote:
nathan_rugby wrote:Absolute garbage.

No great forward running.

No skillful play.

No space created.

Completely boring as per usual.
It wasn't absolute garbage but it wasn't brilliant either.

The ries we scored bar the last one were good and took some scoring against a very good Hudds defence. One of the few games this season I think where we have not tried to score off the same move every time.

The bad bits were the errors, penalties and the left of our defence which was shocking. Every try Hudds scored came from down that side including the last one as they got down our end by another break on that side of the pitch.

Final score Wigan 30 Gelling 22. :wink:
What about the knock on by Crosby which led to one of the tries?

Come on Dave O, he was not the only one at fault with the defence on that side of the field.
Sorry but if we're going to have to put up with Gelling then he will always have days like this. His lack of positional play did cause 3 of the tries and his missed tackle opened the door for the other one. We will never be a consistent side while we have players like this but he's here for the long term so we'd better get used to it.

Farrell was immense - Powell surprised me a little as he was better than in the past, although we look a better unit when MM is on the field.

Thought everyone had decent matches bar Tautai who was his usual inconsistent self and Patrick who, to be fair, didn't get a lot of game time and followed up intelligently for his try. I'd vote to return him to Huddersfield at the end of his loan spell but I expect SW will keep him.
KOOCH

Post by KOOCH »

josie andrews wrote:
KOOCH wrote:It was not the best game of rugby to watch with errors to boot.But some people just are not willing to accept that Huddersfield came with a decent game plan that they stuck with and it nearly paid off.They are a good solid defensive unit that many teams will find hard to break down.Unfortunately too many posters are so obsessed with finding fault within our own ranks than looking at what Huddersfield did right to break us down. Shaun Wane and our coaching staff will not be blind to the fact that it was not down to just how bad our players where but how good Huddersfield where in exploiting our weakness.Paul Anderson ( a man who I loathe because of his comments when a saints player about Wigan)is not a stupid person nor his coaching staff. Yes Gelling was a little lazy and Manfredi was playing out of position but give some credit to Huddersfield.We won a n ugly game that either side could have won but fortunately we won out. The real test of character comes next week.But all this aside credit to the team for coming away with a win.
What did he say?
He said in an interview when playing for saints that he would like to snap the neck of wigan. And more that I cannot remember but those words have always stuck in my memory.
medlocke

Post by medlocke »

Was it just me or did it feel like there was no atmosphere, really disliking Thursday night games
TrueBlueWarrior

Post by TrueBlueWarrior »

medlocke wrote:Was it just me or did it feel like there was no atmosphere, really disliking Thursday night games
Turn the volume up on your TV Meds!! :wink: :lol:
'If you start listening to the fans it won't be long before you're sitting with them.' - Wayne Bennett
markill

Post by markill »

It started flat and almost complacently in the atmosphere. But the crowd picked up when we put some big hits in at 10-0 down. Nervous tension in the last 10/15 took over. No worse than any other day's atmosphere against the Giants that I've ever experienced though.
in the world of mules, there are no rules

LATEST PODCAST EPISODE
https://www.spreaker.com/user/superleaguepod