Richie Mathers

Got something to discuss about RL in general? Then this is the place to post it.
yokozuna

Richie Mathers

Post by yokozuna »

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/rugby-league/34038683
Richie Mathers: London Broncos player banned for six months

London Broncos full-back Richie Mathers has been suspended from all rugby league activity for six months after being found guilty of breaching rules relating to betting.

An independent tribunal found Mathers, 31, had provided inside information on his club and encouraged other people to bet on the outcome of a match.

Mathers, who joined Broncos in 2014, said he "totally refutes" the findings.
Footballers spend 90 minutes pretending they're injured. Rugby League players spend 80 minutes pretending they're not.
Kittwazzer

Re: Richie Mathers

Post by Kittwazzer »

Surprises me this. For all his shortcomings as a player, I would never have doubted his integrity!
BriH

Post by BriH »

Why is this here??
FROM A TO B

Post by FROM A TO B »

moved to general RL
Warrior came
Warrior saw
Warrior conquered
Warrior came
Warrior saw
Warrior conquered
jobo

Post by jobo »

Started out as one of the bright young things of his generation and ends his career like this. It's a tad tragic if you ask me.
BriH

Post by BriH »

I think he is appealing.
THE JUDGE

Post by THE JUDGE »

BriH wrote:I think he is appealing.
To whom!!!!!!
Following a Judicial Review of my computer, I hope I have now resolved my inability to participate
slimshady

Post by slimshady »

THE JUDGE wrote:
To whom!!!!!!
Gambling Commission!!!!!
michael inch stoke

Post by michael inch stoke »

I never liked him either.
Oh sorry, I thought you said appalling :blush: :lol:
josie andrews

Post by josie andrews »

Richie Mathers: London Broncos full-back retires after betting ban

London Broncos full-back Richie Mathers has announced his retirement, two weeks after receiving a six-month suspension for breaching betting rules.

The 31-year-old had a year remaining on his deal with the Championship club.
"It is with considerable regret, and a degree of disillusion, I have decided to call time on my career," he said.
"The manner in which it has ended has had a traumatic effect on me and my family. I strenuously maintain my innocence"

The former Leeds, Warrington and Wakefield player was found guilty of breaching Rugby Football League rules relating to betting by an independent tribunal last month.

The RFL said the offences related to the Broncos' 64-12 defeat by Leigh Centurions in the fourth round of the Challenge Cup on 20 March.
Richie Mathers factfile
Born: 24 October 1983
Previous clubs: Warrington, Leeds, Gold Coast Titans, Wigan, Warrington, Castleford, Wakefield Trinity
Nationality: English
International appearances: Two
The tribunal ruled Mathers had provided inside information on his club and encouraged other people to bet on the outcome of a match via social messaging application Whatsapp.

"No evidence was found against me and I was convicted on the grounds of 'comfortable satisfaction'," Mathers said in a statement online.

"I was advised that a right of appeal against a finding comes with a dire warning of further risk of greater sanction and damage to my good name and career, and I had no wish to compromise or undermine the game."

Mathers said he had subsequently found that, under Advisory, Conciliation and Arbitration Service (ACAS) regulations, "this is not the case".

He added: "I will therefore propose amendments to the RFL independent tribunal rules and sanctions, which apply to appeals and must be addressed."

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/rugby-league/34198675
Anyone can support a team when it is winning, that takes no courage.
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
that takes a lot of courage. #18thMan