Wigan v Catalans

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
stevethegas

Re: Wigan v Catalans

Post by stevethegas »

A bold experiment if it succeeded, but a banana skin if it failed.
For me the only disappointment was the modest number who traveled from France - one might have thought being in London it may have been easier and an excuse for a trip.
However, in my eternal optimism I feel it has been good both for Wigan and for Rugby League. Even allowing for the "no such thing as bad publicity", it has been good publicity all along.
There was some amateur game down the road which got more attention, but those were fans we were never going to persuade.

If it's done next year, perhaps a game against Leeds might be worth a thought if both clubs agree.
Perhaps if each club played one game in London, it means 6 games in all. Would that be better than the Magic Weekend? I don't know, but worth thinking about.

There is a huge amount of RL in the capital, but it's bubbling under the surface. Let's hope this gave it a boost.
Stevethegas
Mike
Site Admin

Post by Mike »

We might get more fans from France to come over if the game was announced at the begining of the season. When Catalans take their games on the road its usually sorted within a few weeks of the start of the season so fans can make travel plans.

We could actively promote the game with Catalans next year given more notice.
⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
🏆🏆🏆🏆
Kittwazzer

Post by Kittwazzer »

Mike wrote:We might get more fans from France to come over if the game was announced at the begining of the season. When Catalans take their games on the road its usually sorted within a few weeks of the start of the season so fans can make travel plans.

Correct. Any London venue would be more attractive to European fans than the tradition RL 'heartlands'.
jaws1

Post by jaws1 »

Kittwazzer wrote:
Mike wrote:We might get more fans from France to come over if the game was announced at the begining of the season. When Catalans take their games on the road its usually sorted within a few weeks of the start of the season so fans can make travel plans.

Correct. Any London venue would be more attractive to European fans than the tradition RL 'heartlands'.

Fans go to Catalans for holiday/short break if played in London would French fans not do the same?????
Owd Codger

Post by Owd Codger »

IL says the club will be repeating the event in the future but in my opinion, it should only considered if Wigan do not reach the Challenge Cup Final and the club should also take in account the novelty factor in regard to last weeks game and next time will there be free transport to guarantee some support.

Sorry to sound negative, but many supporters cannot afford two trips to London, especially around the same time if in a Challenge Cup Final as well.

If its a question of choice, there will be only one winner and it will not be the 'Home' game.
markill

Post by markill »

Whelley Warrior wrote:IL says the club will be repeating the event in the future but in my opinion, it should only considered if Wigan do not reach the Challenge Cup Final and the club should also take in account the novelty factor in regard to last weeks game and next time will there be free transport to guarantee some support.

Sorry to sound negative, but many supporters cannot afford two trips to London, especially around the same time if in a Challenge Cup Final as well.

If its a question of choice, there will be only one winner and it will not be the 'Home' game.
I'm fairly certain that we will have played our London game before the challenge cup final next year. Fans will have more time to plan and prepare because I'm convinced it will be in the regular season. That will mean more people from the south east and more away team fans will be able to sort out going and Wigan home fans will have the opportunity to plan too.
in the world of mules, there are no rules

LATEST PODCAST EPISODE
https://www.spreaker.com/user/superleaguepod
FROM A TO B

Post by FROM A TO B »

I still struggle to understand how we as a club benefit from this?
Will it bring in more supporters from London to travel up to Wigan on a Friday evening?
Will it attract "blue chip" sponsors to what is a minority and localised sport?
How much revenue doe the club lose by not playing at home?
Why should the Season Ticket fans give up a home game that they have paid for already?
I don't particulary agree with the magice weekend, but if the RFL want to promote a game in London (didn't they have a SL team based there recently), why not move magic weekend down to there instead?

Warrior came
Warrior saw
Warrior conquered
Warrior came
Warrior saw
Warrior conquered
cpwigan

Post by cpwigan »

FROM A TO B wrote:I still struggle to understand how we as a club benefit from this?
Will it bring in more supporters from London to travel up to Wigan on a Friday evening?
Why should the Season Ticket fans give up a home game that they have paid for already?
I don't particulary agree with the magice weekend, but if the RFL want to promote a game in London (didn't they have a SL team based there recently), why not move magic weekend down to there instead?
Your Gary H in disguise :roll:

Not sure why we bother even playing games full stop when season ticket holders still ignorantly believe they gave up a home game!
Mike
Site Admin

Post by Mike »

FROM A TO B wrote:I still struggle to understand how we as a club benefit from this?
Its a similar strategy to lots of clubs outside of RL that want to expand their brand's reach beyond their immediate catchment area.

I guess your opinion is that we lose from doing this overall, perhaps because you don't think is possible?

We'll find out in years to come whether it was a good or bad thing.
⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
🏆🏆🏆🏆
Wiganwarrior1

Post by Wiganwarrior1 »

How about Catalans playing their 'home' game against us at Millwall next season?

I dont think there was anywhere like 8000 fans at the game. Atmosphere wasn't great but enjoyed seeing players closer than I do at the DW. Probably won't go again unless against a team with decent support. Very disappointing the French didn't make an effort.