Wigan Warriors scrum half Matty Smith seemingly a certain starter again for England in what is a key role

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
nathan_rugby

Re: Wigan Warriors scrum half Matty Smith seemingly a certain starter again...

Post by nathan_rugby »

Whelley Warrior wrote:
josie andrews wrote:
Whelley Warrior wrote: Perhaps the reason that is clubs signing Half Back's in abundance from down under.
Sorry, I don't understand your post :conf: Can you explain it please? Thank you
Josie, Just making the point that the signing of half backs from down under has always been the norm in the game and a reason why over the seasons, we have had a lack of quality half backs from our game at times.

Current examples being:-

Catalan Dragons - Carney, Dureau
Hull KR - Campese, Kelly
Salford - Chase, Dobson
St Helens - Burns, Walsh
Wakefield Trinity Wildcats - Miller, Smith
Warrington - Sandow

Not to mention Finch, Green in our team in the past four seasons or the many others over many seasons.

Name me another Scrum Half in our game at present apart from Burrow who now plays Hooker,
Brough who plays for Scotland or switching another player from a different position to replace Smith?

Please don't tell me McGuire or good old Kevin!
What does that have to do with anything?
Bomhead - "Lockers to prop."
josie andrews

Post by josie andrews »

Whelley Warrior wrote:
josie andrews wrote:
Whelley Warrior wrote: Perhaps the reason that is clubs signing Half Back's in abundance from down under.
Josie, Just making the point that the signing of half backs from down under has always been the norm in the game and a reason why over the seasons, we have had a lack of quality half backs from our game at times.

Hull KR - Campese, Kelly
Salford - Chase, Dobson
St Helens - Burns, Walsh
Warrington - Sandow

Not to mention Finch, Green in our team in the past four seasons or the many others over many seasons.

Name me another Scrum Half in our game at present apart from Burrow who now plays Hooker, Brough who plays for Scotland or switching another player from a different position to replace Smith?

Thank you for clearing it up :)
Anyone can support a team when it is winning, that takes no courage.
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
that takes a lot of courage. #18thMan
PF Warrior

Post by PF Warrior »

Wigan_forever19​85​ wrote:arent we forgetting Chase plays for England?

I said on a thread on the general forum if Matty Smith is the standard then Luke Gale should be considered, i think he is actually as good if not a better player

this season alone (compared to MS)

triple the tries
double the assists
double the clean breaks

he is also a better goal kicker
After tonight performance against Hull by Smith I would agree with you.
shaunedwardsfanclub

Post by shaunedwardsfanclub »

Whelley Warrior wrote:
josie andrews wrote:

Hull KR - Campese, Kelly
Salford - Chase, Dobson
St Helens - Burns, Walsh
Warrington - Sandow

Name me another Scrum Half in our game at present apart from Burrow who now plays Hooker, Brough who plays for Scotland or switching another player from a different position to replace Smith?

McGuire has been and still is a far better player than Smith. Matty is bog standard and won't get any better, both Wigan and England need somebody a lot better.
Winning is down to 99% perspiration and 1% inspiration - Shaun Edwards
Owd Codger

Post by Owd Codger »

michael inch stoke wrote:
Whelley Warrior wrote:
josie andrews wrote: Sorry, I don't understand your post :conf: Can you explain it please? Thank you

Hull KR - Campese, Kelly
Salford - Chase, Dobson
St Helens - Burns, Walsh
Warrington - Sandow

Luke Robinson
Ritchie Myler
Marc Sneyd
Luke Gale
None of which are any better than Smith
superleague

Post by superleague »

Matty smith isn't good enough for Wigan never mind England
michael inch stoke

Post by michael inch stoke »

Whelley Warrior wrote:
Whelley Warrior wrote: Josie, Just making the point that the signing of half backs from down under has always been the norm in the game and a reason why over the seasons, we have had a lack of quality half backs from our game at times.

Hull KR - Campese, Kelly
Salford - Chase, Dobson
St Helens - Burns, Walsh
Warrington - Sandow

Luke Robinson
Ritchie Myler
Marc Sneyd
Luke Gale

You didnt ask for any better than Smith. Also, if you think Smith is better than Luke Gale at the moment after his display against hull last night then your super fan cherry and white tinted glasses have steamed up and is impairing your vision
Southern Softy

Post by Southern Softy »

shaunedwardsfan​club​ wrote:
Whelley Warrior wrote:
josie andrews wrote: Sorry, I don't understand your post :conf: Can you explain it please? Thank you

Hull KR - Campese, Kelly
Salford - Chase, Dobson
St Helens - Burns, Walsh
Warrington - Sandow

McGuire has been and still is a far better player than Smith. Matty is bog standard and won't get any better, both Wigan and England need somebody a lot better.
The point, I think, is that the bigger the game, the more Matty Smith raises the level of his own game to be effective. You could say the same for Blake Green. McGuire has always been found wanting at the highest level and (whisper it quietly) so has The Blessed St Kev.
butt monkey

Post by butt monkey »

superleague wrote:Matty smith isn't good enough for Wigan never mind England
On this season's efforts, you can't argue with your assessment.

Slowly but surely he has had responsibilities taken from him. First it was goal kicking, then in game kicking, what is left?

He cannot tackle (being our worst for missed tackles) and does not like to run with the ball either (he was like a rabbit in headlights when offloaded too with space to run in, what a "shock" when he opted to kick it :roll: ) plus too often his team mates have to check their runs due to the poor passes from him. All round average guy at best who if we are honest wouldn't be in this side in any other era

I can see McGuire playing there before Smith
[img]http://www.webdeveloper.com/animations/ ... monkey.gif[/img]

The biggest Room is the Room for improvement.

The best form of defence is attack!!

Out of the black and into the red, remember you don't get anything for two in a bed!!
thegimble

Post by thegimble »

Whelley Warrior wrote:
michael inch stoke wrote: Luke Robinson
Ritchie Myler
Marc Sneyd
Luke Gale

You didnt ask for any better than Smith. Also, if you think Smith is better than Luke Gale at the moment after his display against hull last night then your super fan cherry and white tinted glasses have steamed up and is impairing your vision
But if Luke Gale was better or as good as Smith he would be playing for a better team. We see Smith week in week out some only see the what they want to, that's ok. But we see highlights and Luke Gale a few times and put him on a pedestal.

When it matters in very big games Smith has not really let us down. This side is full of itself and looks down on some sides. How do you really justify playing some of the crap against poor sides at home and then turning over better sides in the Super 8's.

Last week Catalan could not live with us yet a side that Catalan could beat easily almost did us last night. Its the same as 2013 once Wane has a position in mind and where he wants the side to be then the players are held back I feel and ghost in as they did in 2013.

We lost to Leeds and Huddersfield in August 2013 but when it mattered neither could live with us. I am not justifying Smith's performance last night it was poor but was it poor due to the attitude going into the game as seems to be a lot of times this season or is it or does Wane hold us back. After all finishing top could mean very little if we beat Saints and Giants finishes 3rd. Felt for a long time Wane is picking his spot to finish in rather than have us go all guns as we did in 2012 and won nothing.