New Signing Confirmed

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
shaunedwardsfanclub

New Signing Confirmed

Post by shaunedwardsfanclub »

Willie Isa.
Winning is down to 99% perspiration and 1% inspiration - Shaun Edwards
EDINBURGH-WARRIOR

Wigan sign Willie ISA

Post by EDINBURGH-WARRIOR »

On two year deal

2002 and EW is hooked
josie andrews

Re: Wigan sign Willie ISA

Post by josie andrews »

EDINBURGH-WARRI​OR​ wrote:On two year deal

https://mail.google.com/mail/u/0/#inbox ... 1f6415eee9
This link doesn't make sense, it just takes me to my gmail account!
Anyone can support a team when it is winning, that takes no courage.
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
that takes a lot of courage. #18thMan
AdamMac

Re: New Signing Confirmed

Post by AdamMac »

Warriors Sign Willie Isa
Season Ticket Holder Exclusive
Wigan Warriors can this morning exclusively confirm to Season Ticket holders that they have signed of Willie Isa for the 2016 season.

Isa, 26, has joined the Warriors on an initial two-year deal.

A Samoan international, Isa has spent the last four years at Widnes Vikings where he has made 87 appearances including 19 this year. He previously played for Penrith Panthers, Melbourne Storm and Castleford Tigers before his time at the Vikings.

A knee injury picked up in August cut short his 2015 season however he is expected to be able to take part in a full pre-season starting in November.

Wigan Warriors Head Coach Shaun Wane said:

“I’ve been monitoring Willie for some time and didn’t think twice about completing this deal when we had the chance.

“He is highly thought of here at Wigan, our senior players who we consulted all commented that he is a fierce competitor who is tough to play against.

“At 26 years of age his best years are yet to come. He is a big pacey player who can play in a number of positions. I think he will really suit our style and the Wigan fans will really warm to him.”

Rugby Director Kris Radlinski said:

“Having met with Willie we were really impressed with his desire to join the Wigan Club.

“He is an established Super League player and we’ve beaten off stiff competition for his signature. Willie was actually offered more money elsewhere but he desperately wanted to come here and we are delighted about that.

“On the field he is a fierce competitor who certainly knows how to handle himself in the Super League competition. Off it he is a genuine guy who is willing to learn and improve himself and his game.”

Willie Isa said:

“I am absolutely delighted to have joined Wigan. There were a few offers on the table but I simply couldn’t turn down this chance when it came along.

“I’m really grateful to Shaun Wane and Kris Radlinki for this opportunity, I’m working hard on some rehabilitation stuff at the moment but will be fit and raring to go next season.”
AdamMac

Post by AdamMac »

Interesting signing really. A typical Wane signing you might say.

He will provide cover and add good depth to the squad, hopefully we see him used more in the centres than back row, as that's where he most effective imo.

A few attributes that im sure Wane thinks he can work with an develop.

josie andrews

Post by josie andrews »

Just checked my emails :blush: Been Twittering!
Anyone can support a team when it is winning, that takes no courage.
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
that takes a lot of courage. #18thMan
jobo

Post by jobo »

Slightly underwhelmed to be honest. Cant see how he's better than what we've got at present, or who we have let go.

Here's hoping he turns into another George Carmont.
Woody1989

Post by Woody1989 »

I pretty happy with that. We need a good centre with Sarginson injured and Thornley leaving.
nathan_rugby

Post by nathan_rugby »

With 12 tries in 104 games I am also underwhelmed if he is being considerd as a centre.

Not too impressed with his stats.

Is this another Lauaki, Pettybourne, Tautai signing?
Bomhead - "Lockers to prop."
AdamMac

Post by AdamMac »

Hes played back row for the majority of his Widnes Career. Whist ok there he's far more effective in the centres imo and his strike rate improves dramatically, as you would expect.

I think if/when we get an injury to Josh/Dom next season we don't really have cover on the wings and I don't think the likes of Fell etc are physically ready to step up to first team yet. We'll probably see the likes if sarg/Gelling moved on the wing then you become thin in the centres.

He'll provide us with decent depth.