Sky

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
Owd Codger

Re: Sky

Post by Owd Codger »

If Sky had got the contract for the Union World Cup, their coverage would have been no different than that of ITV.

Smokie Jim

Post by Smokie Jim »

Good well judged fair post. A bit tough on Aussie but I do get your point Southern Softy
josie andrews

Post by josie andrews »

Southern Softy wrote:Up to a point Josie.

Although I loathed Barry McDermott as a player, both he and Terry O'Connor do give some idea of what it's like to be a player in matches and why on-field decisions are made by players. Similarly, with John Wilkin, who is really objectionable on the field, he's articulate and good at explaining how plays work and how the match is going. Same way Earl Crabtree (who I don't dislike on the field) can talk sensibly about how games ebb and flow.

The rest of the BBC 'team' is pretty hopeless - idiotic Robby Paul - past his sell-by-date Jonathan Davies - inarticulate Jamie Peacock etc. etc.

Sky is struggling. Brian Carney seems to think he is the modern face of SL (he isn't) - Phil Clarke is so bogged down in stats that he loses viewers and himself - Stevo is a parody and Edie Hemmings, who can be a perfectly decent commentator when he concentrates on the action is in danger of undoing his good work in the past with his prejudices for and against certain clubs.

It's crying out for an infusion of new blood and I would have thought that players reaching the end of their careers could walk into a job if they did some technical media training and remembered who they are supposed to be talking to - us, the supporters of the game!

We're really ill-served by most of the television presenters who either have the job because they weren't deemed good enough for football or are enthusiasts who aren't very good at presenting.
Mind you - it could be worse - we could have NRL commentators and summarisers. Then we'd really have something to moan about.
I mentioned Baz & Tez because they have been with Sky for so long they tend to present similar to Eddie & Stevo when commentating on the game itself. They talk between themselves forgetting that they are supposed to be describing the game to us the TV viewers.

Brian Carney is a jumped up law educated t*rd. Agree with you re Phil Clarke

I've said so many times that listening to their commentary of the game being aired is akin to listening to a group of blokes in the vault of the pub with their silly arguments & inane ramblings

:angry:
Anyone can support a team when it is winning, that takes no courage.
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
that takes a lot of courage. #18thMan
WiganWoman1968

Post by WiganWoman1968 »

Eddie and Stevo bicker like an old married couple. It's embarrassing.
WiganWoman1968

Post by WiganWoman1968 »

Sorry. I tried to quote. Am new to this.
Smokie Jim

Post by Smokie Jim »

WiganWoman1968 wrote:Sorry. I tried to quote. Am new to this.

Not to worry. I'm always getting it wrong Happy Days :D
Owd Codger

Post by Owd Codger »

WiganWoman1968 wrote:Eddie and Stevo bicker like an old married couple. It's embarrassing.
Many of the long standing marriage's have had a fair share of bickering!

Problem is today's world of marriage, many don't get that far.
Southern Softy

Post by Southern Softy »

I think as far as we're concerned - they're an uncivil partnership.
pieaterinLeigh

Post by pieaterinLeigh »

Just had a horrible thought that I'd ideally like to scrub from my brain, imagine what the children they would have as a married couple would look like :lol: