Wane to go

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
yokozuna

Re: Wane to go

Post by yokozuna »

cpwigan wrote:Obviously the club will have a review and all manner of questions will arise re the coach, the players because the bottom line is;

2 SEASONS AND NOTHING!

Oh BTW; 3 seasons :wink:
McDermott has been at Leeds how long?
Footballers spend 90 minutes pretending they're injured. Rugby League players spend 80 minutes pretending they're not.
josie andrews

Post by josie andrews »

cpwigan wrote:SO you both believe the GF was fixed :o
I do think there was an agenda
Anyone can support a team when it is winning, that takes no courage.
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
that takes a lot of courage. #18thMan
Southern Softy

Post by Southern Softy »

I don't believe the GF was 'fixed' but I do believe that Thaler was left in no doubt by the RFL that they wanted a free-flowing 'spectacle' with no nasty incidents.
Peacock made the incredible statement before the match that he would 'go straight for Flower' (imagine if Flower had said the same about a Leeds player) and he did with the first carry, veering off the line forward. He carried the ball in one hand and the other went for Flower's throat. Nothing was done and Peacock was allowed to continue with his repertoire of 'facials,' hand on the ball and general laying-on. In a normal match, Thaler would have had a quiet word on the run; a word at the scrum a warning to the captain and then penalties and yellow cards for persistent infringements. The only way that we got a penalty was when MM forced Thaler's hand by throwing the ball at Watkins, who was routinely in the way of the play-the-ball.

That being said, we were too slow as ever. By the time that the ball got to Farrell or Tomkins, both centres and wings were heavily marked and the move fizzled out. Manfredi's score came from a kick (and think how many tries this season came from that route) and Budgie's came about because Farrell spotted Sinfield coming out of the line and went through the resultant gap.
We're not going to win big matches until we can get the ball out wide quickly.

Finally, we have to understand that the only way to win matches is to score a shedload of tries more than the opposition so that Bentham (whose decision-making is becoming less like incompetence and more like a man with an agenda) can't affect the result.
medlocke

Post by medlocke »

Take a good look around the internet CP, the lack of piss taking and abuse by other clubs fans says it all, i even had Saints fans agree with me on Facebook last night, said it weeks ago and i'll say it again, there was no way the fat controller and his merry men where going to allow Sir King Kev & Peacock to retire without the Grand Final, it sure has been a fairytale finish to their careers :angry:
Caboosegg

Post by Caboosegg »

Wow we have a bunch of fans that live in the past.

We are in the salary cap era. No team has the given right to win everything every year. Including leeds.

We have fans calling for Wane to be sacked..... how many years in a row has our so called failure of a coach got us to the GF.

People went on about leeds missing players but we played a GF game without any recognised centres.
Yes Gildart is looking good and Bateman is doing the job but neither is at the same standard as their opposite last night in that position.

Next year the youngsters will be better they have been blooded this year and have also played in a final. We have very little change compared to most other clubs.

I believe next year is the judgement year for Wane with our performance over the last two seasons and with very little change I would expect a better around team.

Any other club would love a coach that could get them to the GF as many times as Wane has.
These are two reasons not to trust people.
1. We don't know them.
2. We do know them.
LooseHead

Post by LooseHead »

Wane's job is to a) get the best from players and b) select the players that are, at that time, capable of playing at their own personal best level. This is where he has been found wanting this season at times.

Joel Tomkins has only looked like his best in maybe four or five games, yet his selection is automatic. Same to a point with Lockers who can't be faulted for effort but would we have been a far worse side going with Greg Burke as a regular no 13 this year? Smith is purely a game manager and you could put world class centres outside him and he'd still never put them away into space - keeping him and expecting Gildart and Sarge to become good attacking centres will do nothing but inhibit their development.

So, what there is is a lot of picking on past glory and sentiment. Remember, Leeds dropped 'Sir Kev' for ages earlier this year, McDermott wasn't afraid to pick purely on form and set his stall out. Wane needs to take a lesson from that.
Wandering Warrior

Post by Wandering Warrior »

Mike wrote:My big complaint with Wane now is the consistency of his criticism of the team playing dumb rugby. They play this way so often that surely he must realise there is a problem. Why do we play dumb rugby so often. Is there something wrong with our systems? I'd like him to start addressing these questions next season and reducing the number of times he has to say we played dumb. Either change the system or change the dumb players.
Or keep his mouth shut and avoid illuminating the fact that he's a fool that never learns!?!
When John Byrom plays on snow, he doesn't leave any footprints - Jimmy Armfield
robbobillinge

Post by robbobillinge »

Knew it wasn't our day when the DW officials couldn't find the keys to open the gates to the coach park and we had a 15 minute delay. Faithfully recorded and posted on Twitter by a fan under the hashtag#pissupbrewery. I thought #DWgate was better.
Then we were charged £8.25 for a pint of bitter & a bottle of Erdinger in the Craftbrew by the Lowry. But hey its sport, no one died, no trouble, just the wrong result......
w.thomas

Post by w.thomas »

I'm not wanes biggest fan but I think it's harsh to call for his head after the GF. The thing that worries me though is the fact we need players in certain positions and a kicker and instead he buys players like Isa and says he's gonna play him in positions we don't need him to play in. We seem to have an obsession with buying players we don't need and playing them out of position! Also Smith deserves to go not just because of the GF he's been poor all season and been out played by a young lad whos only just made the 1st team! Smith should be taking control! Big TC kicking the ball on the last! Shocking
Caboosegg

Post by Caboosegg »

Maybe smiths issue is he hasn't had a rest.

Last season then England then WCC then season start again. I also think this is part of the reason sarge started so poorly.

Wane gets alot out of players according to people who use that to say we have a average team. Maybe he does and it's burnt Smith and Sarge out and they need a off season to recover :)
These are two reasons not to trust people.
1. We don't know them.
2. We do know them.