SUPRISED NO ONE MENTIONED SMITH

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
thegimble

Re: SUPRISED NO ONE MENTIONED SMITH

Post by thegimble »

DaveO wrote:
medlocke wrote:Time for Lockers to retire, we can't carry him for another season unless he takes a massive wage cut and only plays a portion of the season, would be a shame if he ended up doing a Paul Sculthorpe, that was just embarrassing
If we carry on with Lockers you have to ask why. If Wane thinks we can't do without him then that points to the need to recruit surely?

If he does play on and only plays effectively part time in some of the games but not others that is just disruptive.

At one point this season we looked to have learned to play without him and then Wane put him in the team again. I think it was around the time of the cup game v HKR and we looked like strangers as a team that day and lost to a side that got beat 50-0 by Leeds in the final!
We have been better without out him at certain points in the season I agree with that. He came back in and we suffered a bit. Bateman should be put into that slot asap but have a hunch Bateman will be centre next season and Gelling/Sarge on the wing.
The booze hound

Post by The booze hound »

Matty Smith put up a poor showing but I don't blame him for our defeat. When I think about his game/skills I struggle to think of anything he is very good at.
Pass selection - average
Kicking - below average
Tackling - poor
Pace - below average
Taking on the line - poor.
leadership - average at best
He doesn't come up with moments of inspiration as all good 7s do and he's at an age now where you won't get any notable level of improvement from him.
Tries his best, but his best just isn't good enough IMO.
menpond

Post by menpond »

YES ,not good enough in the loose. Would Gildart make a better fist of it ?And if not ,why not?
mp
nathan_rugby

Post by nathan_rugby »

menpond wrote:YES ,not good enough in the loose. Would Gildart make a better fist of it ?And if not ,why not?
Are you really suggesting Gildart in at loose forward?

He is too lightweight for Centre, never mind loose.

You and Bombhead don't half come up with some crazy ideas.

I honestly don't feel Bateman is up for being a ball playing loose yet which we have utilised Lockers as. He is in the mould of an extra 2nd rower playing loose.

If we start to link our 7, 6 and 1 next year well then we can afford for our Loose to play like an additional 2nd rower.
Bomhead - "Lockers to prop."
shaunedwardsfanclub

Post by shaunedwardsfanclub »

Wigan_forever19​85​ wrote:I'd pick gale ahead of him any day
I'd pick Rocky ahead of him every day.
Winning is down to 99% perspiration and 1% inspiration - Shaun Edwards
nathan_rugby

Post by nathan_rugby »

shaunedwardsfan​club​ wrote:
Two different positions...
shaunedwardsfanclub

Post by shaunedwardsfanclub »

nathan_rugby wrote:
Ok then, I'd pick Williams before him every day and then play Rocky along side him. Will that do for you? By the way, Wigan don't play with a 6 and 7 and that is part of the problem.
Winning is down to 99% perspiration and 1% inspiration - Shaun Edwards
doc

Post by doc »

In the GF and against Saints we lost by not being able to convert pressure in the opposition's 20 into points. We have had this problem all season. I read somewhere that we have scored more tries from kicks then any other team and this is a symptom of our inability to work tries by passing the ball. Bar the ball out the back attack we have very few set plays.

Much as is pains me to say this as I like the bloke, the problem is Matty. He rarely takes on the defensive line as he has not got enough pace. The defence know that he will just act as a pivot and so can set themselves to defend against our edges. When Williams is first receiver he puts that seed of doubt in the minds of defenders as they don't know whether he will pass or run the ball making him a more effective attacking force. We need to pair George with a partner who also has the pace and ability to put that split second of doubt into a defenders head. We need to pair up George with Rocky or Sam with the other playing full back. Personally I would go with Rocky in the halves as Sam seems to have developed well as a FB.

Sadly I think we will have Sam at FB and Matty at half back next year unless Rocky impresses in pre-season or can make himself the stand out goal kicker in the squad.
Tuigamala

Post by Tuigamala »

doc wrote:In the GF and against Saints we lost by not being able to convert pressure in the opposition's 20 into points. We have had this problem all season. I read somewhere that we have scored more tries from kicks then any other team and this is a symptom of our inability to work tries by passing the ball. Bar the ball out the back attack we have very few set plays.

Much as is pains me to say this as I like the bloke, the problem is Matty. He rarely takes on the defensive line as he has not got enough pace. The defence know that he will just act as a pivot and so can set themselves to defend against our edges. When Williams is first receiver he puts that seed of doubt in the minds of defenders as they don't know whether he will pass or run the ball making him a more effective attacking force. We need to pair George with a partner who also has the pace and ability to put that split second of doubt into a defenders head. We need to pair up George with Rocky or Sam with the other playing full back. Personally I would go with Rocky in the halves as Sam seems to have developed well as a FB.

Sadly I think we will have Sam at FB and Matty at half back next year unless Rocky impresses in pre-season or can make himself the stand out goal kicker in the squad.

Maybe next year we need to introduce a new coaching role. Like head of attack and draft in an Aussie like Lockyer or Barrett obviously not these particular individuals but a bloke of similiar experience? Matty Smith can pass a ball very well but the book stops there in terms of what he can do very well on a rugby field.
"If there is no blood on the line, it is not rugby league"
(Russell Crowe)

nathan_rugby

Post by nathan_rugby »

nathan_rugby wrote:
shaunedwardsfan​club​ wrote: I'd pick Rocky ahead of him every day.
Ok then, I'd pick Williams before him every day and then play Rocky along side him. Will that do for you? By the way, Wigan don't play with a 6 and 7 and that is part of the problem.
I know we play the split a lot but I would say George is more often than not 2nd receiver than Smith is.