Did Matty Bowen play well?

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
cpwigan

Did Matty Bowen play well?

Post by cpwigan »

Looked very good with ball in hand and his try was class but his goal line defence was dire for at least two Leeds scores for somebody so experienced. We can be sympathetic; last game, new father but did he play well or badly?
cpwigan

Re: Did Matty Bowen play well?

Post by cpwigan »

Concur about others but I am thinking getting caught defending at the POTB for the first Leeds try and the second his efforts were dire.

Best players? Manfredi, Bateman, Willliams, Farrell.
shaunedwardsfanclub

Post by shaunedwardsfanclub »

Faz was the best forward on the park for me, I don't think that it is any coincidence that our pack has been better since his return from injury.

Williams is all class and with an able partner we would have won comfortably.

Dom and John continue to perform to a high level although I thought that they could have defended the high kick that led to Leeds try better.

For what it is worth the stats say we should have won.
Winning is down to 99% perspiration and 1% inspiration - Shaun Edwards
wildbeast

Post by wildbeast »

Bowen was really up for this game pity others wern't as positive. Top player though Farrell with Williams and Matty Bowen next.
Tomkins could go back to sarries for me -looked more effective for them than us !!

the sully bar

Post by the sully bar »

No need to give my view after watching the game at old trafford and twice on record , the bloke played his heart out after little sleep as well and was robbed of a grand final ring by the video ref ...fact as that was a knock on in anyones standerds , i just wish we would of gone for the try line instead of the 2 points when we had momentum behind us but thats sport thats rugby league and as salford found out you cant buy a winning team no matter who is in charge of them .
He has got the strengh he has got the speed..and hes beaten him....Ray French on Henderson Gills try 1985 cup final.
Owd Codger

Post by Owd Codger »

If the rest of the team had played as well as Bowen played, we would have won easily.

In my opinion should have won the Harry Sutherland Trophy more so than a player who got it on the strength of just scoring two tries and a obvious knock on!
Smokie Jim

Post by Smokie Jim »

Yes he did. From what I saw if he had been half back (with George) he just may have provided the elusive cutting edge we undoubtedly lacked!

Ps. I'm not joking either
RC

Post by RC »

He was our best player in the Wigan shirt.
I feel worse for Bowen than I do for Wigan. He deserves a good send-off, he's an absolute legend. I genuinly feel very bad for him.

Other players did well, especially Williams; should be in the starting squad at England IMO. I'd like to say Flower did, but I've lost a lot of respect for him from the stories I was told about his behaviour on King Street after the GF.
cpwigan

Post by cpwigan »

Was he our best?

First Leeds try chose the wrong side, standing away from Sinfield and McGuire, even pushed Farrell to the correct side where he should have been.
Second Leeds Try brushed off by Moon
Third Leeds Try Caught doing nothing and all; at sea.

Sorry but if that is our best we do not deserve anything more than what we got.
thegimble

Post by thegimble »

cpwigan wrote:Was he our best?

First Leeds try chose the wrong side, standing away from Sinfield and McGuire, even pushed Farrell to the correct side where he should have been.
Second Leeds Try brushed off by Moon
Third Leeds Try Caught doing nothing and all; at sea.

Sorry but if that is our best we do not deserve anything more than what we got.
There is a player on the 3rd try for Leeds can not make him out that made no attempt to bloke the run of even make a move on the ball. Bowen did that against Saints and got hammered on here.

Do some pick on faults of some and let others off.