Wane to go

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
Exiled Wiganer

Re: Wane to go

Post by Exiled Wiganer »

I won't call for his head, and won't lose much sleep if he is still our coach next year, but I think that we should consider whether we can get a better coach. If we can, we should replace him. We should certainly be looking. It may be that we keep Wane because there aren't any better alternatives yet, but we keep looking until we find them.
It is never stated by his daily detractors, but I cannot recall a coach who has developed more Wigan players. I suspect there may never have been one. It is a privilege to watch a team with so many home grown players, and that is an impressive legacy.
Next year, Sam may come to the rescue, of course as he provides drive, vision, competitiveness and structure - all of the factors which are lacking.
What is damning in my eyes is his failure to overcome HKR or secure the LLS, when, frankly, Leeds weren't even that focussed on winning it. The GF could have gone either way - McGuire's knock on gets called, and we win the game, simple as that.
At the very least, I would like an Assistant coach with NRL experience. You can't be up to date with best practice without that exposure.
jackoh

Post by jackoh »

I agree was pleased with the effort put in on Saturday .

But we couldn`t break Leeds down the same we couldn`t break Stains down in attack .

For a good tackling team we could only score off kicks .

Wane has taken us no further this season as he did last, he basically has taken us has far has he could .

He won t play Hampshire but keeps playing Smith even though he can`t or doesn`t kick for goal his kicking is poor and his tackling is abysmal.

I don t think SW has it in him to play smart rugby which needs a good kicking game .

IL must get rid of him otherwise it s another blank year next year .

DaveO

Post by DaveO »

Exiled Wiganer wrote:I won't call for his head, and won't lose much sleep if he is still our coach next year, but I think that we should consider whether we can get a better coach. If we can, we should replace him. We should certainly be looking. It may be that we keep Wane because there aren't any better alternatives yet, but we keep looking until we find them.
We should always look to improve. If you have a chance to sign a better coach or player you should always take it.
It is never stated by his daily detractors, but I cannot recall a coach who has developed more Wigan players. I suspect there may never have been one. It is a privilege to watch a team with so many home grown players, and that is an impressive legacy.
That may well be his forte but it also brings with it a potential to be loyal to these players when we might be better off by letting some go and bringing in some experience.
What is damning in my eyes is his failure to overcome HKR or secure the LLS, when, frankly, Leeds weren't even that focussed on winning it.
I agree. I have seen lots of comments around saying if it were not for Flower last season and but for a knock on not being given this season we'd have won 3 GF's in a row.

While that is the simple truth it masks a couple of poor seasons where throughout both there were lots of problems with the way the team played and ignores the two rather pathetic exits from the CC (very important given how much a club makes from a trip to Wembley cash-wise).

cpwigan

Post by cpwigan »

We are alas stuck with Wane. IL in the past, now and in the future will never press the fire button. If you have a contract, you either walk yourself early or at the end you go but IL will not sack you.
No straw damn us

Post by No straw damn us »

cpwigan wrote:We are alas stuck with Wane. IL in the past, now and in the future will never press the fire button. If you have a contract, you either walk yourself early or at the end you go but IL will not sack you.
Then how come he paid £144K termination of contracts in 2014?
Taken from the clubs published accounts.
cpwigan

Post by cpwigan »

No straw damn us wrote:
cpwigan wrote:We are alas stuck with Wane. IL in the past, now and in the future will never press the fire button. If you have a contract, you either walk yourself early or at the end you go but IL will not sack you.
Then how come he paid £144K termination of contracts in 2014?
Taken from the clubs published accounts.
From the coaching staff? :wink: No

Had IL paid off any Wigan coaches? No

Has he paid off certain 'problematic' players? Yes

butt monkey

Post by butt monkey »

Perhaps with IL extremely unlikely to make any coaching changes, we should be looking for an assistant coach to help Wane, maybe from Australia?

One whose ideas and input can help change some of the plays we adopt and possibly help "see through" the automatic selections certain players gained this season when clearly out of form with far better players either benched or worse, dropped totally

Seems to have worked reasonably well at Salford

Just an idea if Wane is to continue as first team coach. If things do start to go wrong then we would have a replacement all ready to step in should the need require
[img]http://www.webdeveloper.com/animations/ ... monkey.gif[/img]

The biggest Room is the Room for improvement.

The best form of defence is attack!!

Out of the black and into the red, remember you don't get anything for two in a bed!!
Wiganer Ted

Post by Wiganer Ted »

An Aussie wanting to come over here as an assistant is not likely to get a visa. If he's already here as a player then wants to transfer to asst coach then he'd be ok.

Waney isn't going anywhere. That was obvious at the dinner last night. The disappointment was written all over his face. He now knows he has to make changes to get the improvement we need to win trophies.
Being Head Coach at Wigan as all about winning trophies, for two season now that has not been achieved.

SW will be with us next season, if we see a repeat of this season or worse with no Finals then how long IL would continue I don't know.
No one will know this better than Shaun.
jasonnlouise

Post by jasonnlouise »

I'd like to see Bowen given a coaching role he's obviously well respected by players and management alike,he could possibly introduce some attacking impetus he wouldn't have been allowed to suggest as a player also his contacts in Australia could maybe pick up one or two bargains from down under that other teams seem to find
Panchitta Marra

Post by Panchitta Marra »

weststand-rich wrote:LOL You're all a load of miserable bastards.

We got to the final and the game was balanced on a knife edge right up until the final minute. It was a flip of a coin result and we could of as easily won as lost.

I'm not papering over our deficiencies, but I thought it was a great game and a fair result. It was tight, it was nerve-racking, it had genuine drama and was what you should expect between the two teams that finished first and second. Leeds took their chances well and managed the game brilliantly.
Still no cake, not good enough with the squad of players we have.