Faz "second is nowhere"

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
TrueBlueWarrior

Re: Faz "second is nowhere"

Post by TrueBlueWarrior »

Sutty wrote:
TrueBlueWarrior wrote:If you don't play sport to win then you shouldn't play!!
As a coach myself
(albeit a different sport) winning isn't everything. For grass roots and children, fun is the most important thing. Granted, at elite level (of which I doubt anyone on this board is) then winning should be the ultimate aim. But in a lot of sports, simply improving and having realistic goals should be the main focus.

I know you were alluding to what Faz said, in second place being nothing and for a professional sportsman, I agree entirely with that concept :D
I was referring to what Faz said being an elite level sportsman! I agree with what you say about juniors and having 2 young boys myself, development/fun in their chosen sport is essential, however I still want them to win when they play. I think this country has gone a little bit to far with the 'winning is not everything' and that is why we are turning into a nation full of losers at elite sport!!
'If you start listening to the fans it won't be long before you're sitting with them.' - Wayne Bennett
TrueBlueWarrior

jao711 wrote:
Are you suggesting that Wigan don't play to win?
No, I am suggesting that what Faz said is a given and if you don't play to win as an adult at any sport then you should give up!!
'If you start listening to the fans it won't be long before you're sitting with them.' - Wayne Bennett
TrueBlueWarrior

jao711 wrote:
shaunedwardsfan​club​ wrote:
Correct. Winning nothing is not good enough, to say we were only 4 seconds off winning a LLS or a knock on off winning a GF doesn't resonate with me. We got the same reward as all those teams who finished below us!
How many teams in any sport win something in any given season? What do the rest do? They keep trying.It's called sport.
Leeds have won 3 trophies this year! Are they as a team/squad really 3 trophies better than us, no I don't think they are but what they do have in abundance is the ability to win at all costs (even if that means the refs help them a little :wink: ).
Wiganer Ted

Post by Wiganer Ted »

As far as I remember back "2nd is nowhere" was a Bill Shankly quote.
Playing wise that's true.
Financially totally untrue.

HKR will have benefitted financially from coming a distant 2nd to Leeds in the C Cup final.
There is a financial benefit in reaching the GF and not winning.
Wandering Warrior

Post by Wandering Warrior »

Spot on!
But the record books will show we lost the bin lid by 10 seconds and the GF by a knock on!
To some anyway! :wink:
When John Byrom plays on snow, he doesn't leave any footprints - Jimmy Armfield
Wandering Warrior

Post by Wandering Warrior »

jao711 wrote:
shaunedwardsfan​club​ wrote:
TrueBlueWarrior wrote:If you don't play sport to win then you shouldn't play!![/quotue]

Correct. Winning nothing is not good enough, to say we were only 4 seconds off winning a LLS or a knock on off winning a GF doesn't resonate with me. We got the same reward as all those teams who finished below us!
How many teams in any sport win something in any given season? What do the rest do? They keep trying.It's called sport.
But we are the boys, not at the top, the bridesmaids of rugby, when is it going to stop?
When we win pots!!!
When John Byrom plays on snow, he doesn't leave any footprints - Jimmy Armfield
cpwigan

Post by cpwigan »

The bottom line is what he says is 100% correct. To those who say but only one team has won anything. Indeed, that is correct but only 3 teams, 4 if your are generous were capable of winning something based on ability / potential. Hence, we underachieved whereas say Castleford did not despite not winning anything
menpond

Post by menpond »

Could Farrell lead the side as skipper from Loose forward with OL retired? With a good captain and beefed up second rows ,it might turn us round from failures to winners?
mp
DaveO

Post by DaveO »

Wiganer Ted wrote:As far as I remember back "2nd is nowhere" was a Bill Shankly quote.
Playing wise that's true.
Financially totally untrue.
The most lucrative competition financially is the CC because, after expenses, the two teams share the gate receipts.

The GF is a lot less lucrative as the money is divided up across all games between the teams so ones playing away don't lose out.

It used to be the entire top 8 receipts when that was a playoff as opposed to the super-8's so I am not sure if it's just the semi finals that work this way now but the bottom line is, if you aren't going to win the final the one you want to be in if you had to choose is the CC.

Wane couldn't even get that right :D

Joking aside I think Wane has to get us to Wembley next time to keep IL happy because of the financial aspect and failure to do so could be the thing that ends Wane's career as Wigan coach.

Wintergreen

Post by Wintergreen »

And in other news bears do indeed **** in the woods.

That was my point re the whole "IL pep talk" nonsense.