MM vs other hookers

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
nathan_rugby

Re: MM vs other hookers

Post by nathan_rugby »

AdamMac wrote:Wane played MM every week for 80 mins in his first season.

Won the League Leaders but fell short in BOTH semi's and MM among others were visibly goosed!!!

He played MM for the 80 twice against Leeds this season and we beat them both times. The 3 times he didn't we lost.

I did pose the question do we bring in another forward and leave MM on the field for 80 in the final, not saying it would of worked and it was a huge call.

MM hasn't gone backwards under Wane and he doesn't simply just pass the pass laterally to the scrum half. He steps out of dummy half, arches his run and commits defenders 1 & 2 before a late release to hit the scrum half, this in turn all works towards us creating an overlap. Its when this doesn't we struggle to get the overlap. Its takes a lot of courage and skill to do this and MM & SOL are the best at it in our team.
MM rarely does any of that anymore.
Bomhead - "Lockers to prop."
Owd Codger

Post by Owd Codger »

josie andrews wrote:Because every argument goes back to Madge. We all know you don't rate Wane so no matter how much this club wins or loses under him you will always find a reason to revert back to Madge or Jack Gibson!
Correct!
Wiganer Ted

Post by Wiganer Ted »

It also seems to me that opposition teams have got wise to our attacking structure and did so in 2014. They were well capable of stopping our attack in 2015 and this is why when they were at home they could do this with ease and they would win the penalty count anyway. Hence our very poor away results. Awful to say it but we really were easy beats away from home last year.

Their outside men, 2nd row - centre and wing move up very fast onto our outside men and are shoulder to shoulder preventing the pass. Often their wing just stands back a few yards as his team mates move up to prevent Matty Smith or GW kicking in behind them as they move up fast.

In 2016 we really have to develop alternative attacking plays as the current ones were found out some time ago.

We also have to overcome the terrible drop in intensity when MM goes off and his replacement comes off the bench. Our best wins away were when MM stayed on as at Migic and Smith and Bowen went to dummy half for a brief period. They was no drop in intensity as Smith and Bowen had started the match and were up with the pace of the game.
Our intensity was relentless and Leeds couldn't cope. We were convincing winners.
Same at Wire, Powell started at 9 when he went off GW moved up to 9 from 6 and there was no drop in intensity as he was up with the pace of the game, Wire couldn't cope and we were convincing winners.
We got away with it at Hudds. MM went off Powell came on and in that first half we were very poor. Fortunate to go in 12-12 at ht. Second half we scored early Powell didn't go off and our intensity was relentless, we won 32-18 deserved winners.

They have a great deal to sort out this close season if we are to have the "good times ahead" that we keep hearing about.

cpwigan

Post by cpwigan »

Not always the case but I think the way Wigan play under Wane works best on a big pitch length and wide particularly. Hence, the DW is fine but at some grounds they are narrower and shorter.

You then throw in what Ted says about teams getting better and better at defending 2nd man plays.
OAMJSONA

Post by OAMJSONA »

i say blame Maurice Bamford
Wigan is and always will be a town of Cherry & White

Wandering Warrior

Post by Wandering Warrior »

Whelley Warrior wrote:
josie andrews wrote:Because every argument goes back to Madge. We all know you don't rate Wane so no matter how much this club wins or loses under him you will always find a reason to revert back to Madge or Jack Gibson!
Correct, CP must be a football fan!
:eusa9:
When John Byrom plays on snow, he doesn't leave any footprints - Jimmy Armfield
cpwigan

Post by cpwigan »

Wandering Warrior wrote:
Whelley Warrior wrote:
Correct, CP must be a football fan!
:eusa9:
Ignore him Wandering.

I am a fan of most sports. Not keen on horse racing (prefer human v human contests) I avidly watched the RU QFs this weekend gone and I thoroughly enjoy football.

Yes, I am an unashamed fan of great management / coaches which obviously does not include Wane. As far as I can remember you are allowed to hold an opinion with being abused by Whelley Warrior. Personally, I am just waiting for the day he makes a remotely interesting post.

EDINBURGH-WARRIOR

Post by EDINBURGH-WARRIOR »

Or being abused by CPW (just a thought)

regards , EW
2002 and EW is hooked
cpwigan

Post by cpwigan »

EDINBURGH-WARRI​OR​ wrote:Or being abused by CPW (just a thought)

regards , EW
Exactly EW, I am nice to anybody, everybody as you can testify towards your good self.
josie andrews

Post by josie andrews »

cpwigan wrote:
EDINBURGH-WARRI​OR​ wrote:Or being abused by CPW (just a thought)

regards , EW
Exactly EW, I am nice to anybody, everybody as you can testify towards your good self.
Even me! :wink: :roll:
Anyone can support a team when it is winning, that takes no courage.
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
that takes a lot of courage. #18thMan