Bateman Extends Contract

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
doc

Re: Bateman Extends Contract

Post by doc »

Bateman deservedly got mom, however McNamara seems far too chipper with the win. Hall, Faz, Bateman and Ferres when he came on were up against a very poor French right side defence. I know you can only play what's in front of you but the result and efforts of the players should be viewed in the right perspective and NZ, despite withdrawals from their squad, will be a very much harder challenge.
Panchitta Marra

Post by Panchitta Marra »

Panchitta Marra wrote:
cpwigan wrote:I think Bateman is more able to play both sides of the pitch than Faz. Does a team need the old fashioned idea of a loose forward? Many teams now do not have one particularly as the LF tends to defend more centrally these days.
I don't think Faz would be the old fashioned style of player.
I think he is a more capable distribution player than Bateman, which is vital as a link player. Faz has been positioned based on his shirt number and suits the left side 2nd row style but is there any reason why he couldn't be more central as you put it.
A few seasons ago Faz was lacking a little in the tackling side but I think he has really improved this. His work rate and ethic is as good as most at the club which is needed ed in any 13. I think he would be a natural link playing forward (13).
And McBanana said that, the same coach that leaves McIllorum out of the England squad and also chooses Smith.
I can now understand where your coming from.
cpwigan

Post by cpwigan »

I would not select Mac based on 2015 either to be fair.
Wiganer Ted

Post by Wiganer Ted »

England is short of left sided centres as both Watkins and Cudjoe play left. Probably the best playing Bateman there.

Let's see how they go next Sunday and take it from there.
Panchitta Marra

Post by Panchitta Marra »

cpwigan wrote:I would not select Mac based on 2015 either to be fair.
Smith? Westwood?
cpwigan

Post by cpwigan »

Panchitta Marra wrote:
cpwigan wrote:I would not select Mac based on 2015 either to be fair.
Smith? Westwood?
Likewise. Smith has the best chance owing to a chronic lack of British half-backs but last resort for me and if all 'fullbacks' were fit I would play Sam in the halves before Matty.
Wintergreen

Post by Wintergreen »

Bateman is such a classy player that he could play in any number of positions and not look out of place.

Centre/SR/LF

Just hope his body can cope with the punishment as he plays 2 stones over his weight.