Next season

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
up the junction

Re: Next season

Post by up the junction »

cpwigan wrote:Very simple Mike he was trying to make a damning verdict on a young player not playing in his natural position, who managed to retain that spot for several games. George Williams has shown if you persevere and show a little faith it is possible for young players to get better and better and offer more than an established player. Yet, he was happy to write somebody off with no credible arguments.
Not once have i made a damning verdict on any player im just asking what the fuss is with a player who has yet to prove himself ,neither have i written Rocky off ,again just giving my opinion as to how he underperformed IMO. in some games when for me he should have shone.If you would have bothered to read the replies properly you would see that far from writing him off i have said that if he goes out on loan and plays regular first team rugby in his preferred position and matures as the player we expected him to then that would be great for us as a team. So Please tell how i have dug myself into a hole ? with, as you put it no credible argument .I think CP you read what you like to and damn anyone who dares disagree.Could we not also argue that Sam Powell has been playing out of position for near on two seasons and thus not shining as he would have done in his preferred half back role?
cpwigan

Post by cpwigan »

I think you must have an itch beneath your plaster :lol:
So was Powell who IMO would be a better option at 7 with George staying at 6 where he has made his mark.

Ryan Hampshire for me has not taken the Bull by the horns

but Hampshire has spat the dummy out making it clear he isnt yet ready or mature enough

Hampshire Thinks himself to be better than he actually is with a given right to be a Wigan first team player (if the mutterings on these forums are true re. his saying he wants to leave if not given the chance)..

Maybe Waney also thinks this is the case ,because im sure he knows better than the experts on here

Rocky had numerous chances to shine and in my opinion didnt grab the bull by the horns wether it be in an alien position or not .

He didn't take his chance ,his defence in numerous games was shocking ,leading to him being dropped for the return of Bowen

Rocky should have seized the day and kept Bowen out for the rest of the season but didn't.Is that explained enough ?
is now followed by!
Not once have i made a damning verdict on any player

:lol: :lol:

Lets see Powell is better; not taken the bull by the horns (God knows what Cas saw in him :lol: ) spat his dummy out; innature; thinks he is better than he is, god given right to a first team spot; defence in numerous games was shocking (God help Matty Bowen, Matty Smith, Gelling, Charnley, was that in every of his 9 games :lol: )should have seized the day and kept Bowen out for the rest of the season but didn't (would George have got even 9 games had Blake Green remained :lol:

I think the evidence is clear you made unsubstantiated damning statements about a rookie player. Strewth if Cas read your statements I am sure they would have avoided Rocky like the plague :lol:

Is any o that plaster between your ears :lol:
Mike
Site Admin

Post by Mike »

Seemed like a reasonable arguement to me. Not sure why cp's getting worked up about someone wondering if Hampshire will make the grade. If he's good enough he certainly will do and prove everyone who believes in his ability correct. I don't think anyone is saying he isn't good enough, just that he hasn't shown his potential in the first team yet for whatever reason. Again I'm not sure where the controversy is here.

The rumoured loan to castleford certainly looks like a good move. He should get to play his natural position and shine. If he's got it, next season is the time to show it. I hope he does because we need another Sam and I didn't see him in the U19s so I need convincing too.

One thing though, will he come back if the club tries to bring him back. How far gone are relationships at Wigan?
⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
Mike
Site Admin

Post by Mike »

cpwigan wrote:I think you must have an itch beneath your plaster :lol:
So was Powell who IMO would be a better option at 7 with George staying at 6 where he has made his mark.

but Hampshire has spat the dummy out making it clear he isnt yet ready or mature enough

Hampshire Thinks himself to be better than he actually is with a given right to be a Wigan first team player (if the mutterings on these forums are true re. his saying he wants to leave if not given the chance)..

Maybe Waney also thinks this is the case ,because im sure he knows better than the experts on here

Rocky had numerous chances to shine and in my opinion didnt grab the bull by the horns wether it be in an alien position or not .

He didn't take his chance ,his defence in numerous games was shocking ,leading to him being dropped for the return of Bowen

Rocky should have seized the day and kept Bowen out for the rest of the season but didn't.Is that explained enough ?
is now followed by!

Lets see Powell is better; not taken the bull by the horns (God knows what Cas saw in him :lol: ) spat his dummy out; innature; thinks he is better than he is, god given right to a first team spot; defence in numerous games was shocking (God help Matty Bowen, Matty Smith, Gelling, Charnley, was that in every of his 9 games :lol: )should have seized the day and kept Bowen out for the rest of the season but didn't (would George have got even 9 games had Blake Green remained :lol:

I think the evidence is clear you made unsubstantiated damning statements about a rookie player. Strewth if Cas read your statements I am sure they would have avoided Rocky like the plague :lol:

Odd but none of these clearly intentionally misinterpreted quotes actually seem damning.

Powell took his first team chance better.

Hampshire has been accusedd of being annoyed he hasn't been played at SO and disagrees with SW about playing at FB.

Defence in several games was said to be poor.

Nowhere do I see things like - not good enough for Wigan, will never make it, shouldn't be at the club etc. Those would be damning.

Why the insistence on turning every reasonable debate into a screaming arguement where the other party needs to be shown to be 100% incorrect, to be belittled, accused of having an agenda and be painted as having a ridiculous view on everything. Its weird IMO. But hey, each to their own I suppose.
⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
Owd Codger

Post by Owd Codger »

Mike wrote:

is now followed by!

Odd but none of these clearly intentionally misinterpreted quotes actually seem damning.

Hampshire has been accusedd of being annoyed he hasn't been played at SO and disagrees with SW about playing at FB.

Nowhere do I see things like - not good enough for Wigan, will never make it, shouldn't be at the club etc. Those would be damning.

Why the insistence on turning every reasonable debate into a screaming arguement where the other party needs to be shown to be 100% incorrect, to be belittled, accused of having an agenda and be painted as having a ridiculous view on everything. Its weird IMO. But hey, each to their own I suppose.
Good post, Mike!
cpwigan

Post by cpwigan »

Mike wrote:

is now followed by!

No I just read the posts and copied what I felt was an example of damning. Damning by my understanding is condemnation. I ignored the petty personal insults re other posters as I am sometimes guilty of that, it bothers me not one jot and neither does it bother you.

Powell is better – comparing a rookie with a more experienced player who did get games in his preferred position. Is that not damning?
Not taken the bull by the horns; spat his dummy out; immature; thinks he is better than he is, god given right to a first team spot; Is that not damning? You would not give a person with those statements a job on the turnstiles so if that is not condemnation.
Defence in numerous games was shocking; Is that not damning? He certainly made mistakes but no more and far less significant than an international / origin / NRL than Matty Bowen did. Shocking defence to me is damning. I do not want any player to even play for Wigan academy with shocking defence
Should have seized the day and kept Bowen out for the rest of the season; condemnation, was George expected to keep Blake Green out, why has his better more experienced ‘half back’ not kept out George or Matty Smith?

It is on record I said the same about giving the only player with as good an academy / junior record as Rocky; Namely Sam Tomkins!

Forget the poster is me Mike ;)
:wink: :wink: :wink:
Tuigamala

Post by Tuigamala »

To move this squabble along I think John Bateman's giving Wane'y a headache as to where to play him next year. Scoring for fun in the centres with his power and I really don't see how we can move him from there. He's also showing more effective at passing to his wingman than all of our other centres put together. The kids been a freak from day one at this club for me what a signing.
"If there is no blood on the line, it is not rugby league"
(Russell Crowe)

up the junction

Post by up the junction »

CP re. the plaster between my ears ? its not a joking matter so please dont. Why cant we have different views to yourself without the need for you to become personal and rip people to bits with your sarcasm and Emos after every sentence .You cant be right all the time and neither can anyone else .Every Arguement and bad mouthing on these boards involves you in someway or another as no one else seems to be able to express there veiws without ridicule. Ive read for years but only post occasionally but that doesnt mean you have a greater knowledge or seniority on these boards over me or anyone else .Time for me to stop responding to your Bully boy i know best attitude because every post, you will read and decipher to your own agenda. So whats the point in debate?
Tuigamala

Post by Tuigamala »

This thread has gone as stale as a St Helens Pastie (Come on Josie lock the thread)
"If there is no blood on the line, it is not rugby league"
(Russell Crowe)

DaveO

Post by DaveO »

Tuigamala wrote:To move this squabble along I think John Bateman's giving Wane'y a headache as to where to play him next year. Scoring for fun in the centres with his power and I really don't see how we can move him from there. He's also showing more effective at passing to his wingman than all of our other centres put together. The kids been a freak from day one at this club for me what a signing.
I agree. In fact if Wane moves Bateman and Gildart and we start with Sarge and Gelling he will have lost the plot.

This just exposes the weakness at centre though. Like J Tomkins did in 2010. Five years later and we still have not learned.