Hampshire

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
cpwigan

Re: Hampshire

Post by cpwigan »

Saints would love to sign Rocky. I sometimes think we keep him just to spite Saints.
butt monkey

Post by butt monkey »

cpwigan wrote:Saints would love to sign Rocky. I sometimes think we keep him just to spite Saints.
Posted Saints interest in him (and also Williams) sometime ago in the rumour mill. They saw him partnering Johnny Lomax (at that time).

Now they see him as his replacement.

If we lose him for "free" next year, why do the club not sell him and at least make something out of him rather than develop a player who will now progress and gain experience for another club ala Hughes?
[img]http://www.webdeveloper.com/animations/ ... monkey.gif[/img]

The biggest Room is the Room for improvement.

The best form of defence is attack!!

Out of the black and into the red, remember you don't get anything for two in a bed!!
Kittwazzer

Post by Kittwazzer »

cpwigan wrote:Saints would love to sign Rocky. I sometimes think we keep him just to spite Saints.
Smart money says Saints have signed Jack Owens from Widnes.
cpwigan

Post by cpwigan »

Kittwazzer wrote:
Smart money says Saints have signed Jack Owens from Widnes.
http://www.sportinglife.com/rugby-leagu ... jack-owens
Suzieb

Post by Suzieb »

Been saying all season Hampshire and Williams 6 and 7 hope it doesnt come back and bite Wigan on the butt
Fan4Fifty

Post by Fan4Fifty »

Rocky has two years left on his current contract. Pity he has to go to Cas to get game time, but maybe working with Darryl Powell, Danny Orr and Ryan Sheridan, all half backs, will be ideal. Hope it goes well for him.
dontshootthemessenger

Post by dontshootthemessenger »

2 years left on his contract would make more sense - hope he rips it up at cas, and proves his class in his favoured position . Should have been given the chance this season though.
Yorkshireman

Post by Yorkshireman »

Williams strong and robust..Hampshire pace and athleticism complemented each other tremendously well at half back in the Academy side. Then suddenly out of the blue Wane decides Hampshire is a full back despite never having played there before. It's a shame we'll never see these two play together again.Hampshire is still developing physically..if he improves his upper body strength and maintains his speed he can become a top class player but it'debatable whether it will be in a Wigan shirt.
Owd Codger

Post by Owd Codger »

As Smith is contracted until 2018, it is not looking very likely that Hampshire will return, especially when he comes from Normanton(heart of Featherstone Rovers country) and near to Castleford.

If that happens, I am not at all pleased as I would have loved to have seen him in the first team at Stand Off with Williams in his true position of Scrum Half.

No different in my book than when McGuire and Burrow got in the Leeds team together a few season's ago.

At least, McNamara has had the sense to put Williams with a good class Stand Off in the England team.
Caboosegg

Post by Caboosegg »

The hampshire situation always confused me, i have only seen him at fullback and 20 min in the halfs, and ive not seen anything that would suggest he will be amazing in the halfs with Williams at Superleague level..

i don't get why people use hampshire as a example of poor man management skills by the club and to bash Wane (not just on this forum)

Wigan have given plenty of chances to young players and most have come in a cemented their place,
Williams who Wane gave a chance to is YPOTY and pulled on a England shirt last week, all this while supposedly playing out of position.

just Maybe Wane actually knows what hes doing more than people give him credit for. Maybe Hampshire isnt ready,(to small/wrong attitude/hasn't fully developed his rugby brain)

next season will tell, if hes a standout success at Castleford who knows you may see Smith moved out of the halves or we may lose Hampshire and regret it. but we cant expect to keep everyone,

on the Hampshire > Smith debate, i am of the opinion that we will miss smith more than you realize when hes either not here or when injured, he does alot of man management on field and leading, this is something i haven't seen from Hampshire,
These are two reasons not to trust people.
1. We don't know them.
2. We do know them.