London calling North Queensland, Brisbane and Sydney Roosters for NRL season opener

Got something to discuss about RL in general? Then this is the place to post it.
craig87x

Re: London calling North Queensland, Brisbane and Sydney Roosters for NRL season...

Post by craig87x »

cpwigan wrote:Even a SL 9's or something similar.
A London 9s (or any 9s tournament) right before the season starts would be great as it seems to work well with the NRL and their Auckland 9s. Maybe, unlike them, we could move it around. London 9s one season, Coventry 9s the next, Newcastle 9s year after etc.. Only thing is, we'd probably need a shorter regular season as season is probably too long as it is already.

One thing I've seen suggested many times is scrapping the Magic Weekend in favour of a 9s weekend. Although I do enjoy Magic, this would certainly appeal to me. To keep it relevant to the regular season and maintain interest and competitiveness as well, it could be made that as well as a 9s trophy on offer, maybe some Super League points could be given to the overall winners too? It would technically be fairer than the current Magic formula too if only one club, the overall winners, got any league points. It can be annoying that we have to play Leeds or Saints every season when other clubs have had an "easier" game for 2 competition points.
Owd Codger

Re: London calling North Queensland, Brisbane and Sydney Roosters for NRL season...

Post by Owd Codger »

craig87x wrote:
cpwigan wrote:Even a SL 9's or something similar.
A London 9s (or any 9s tournament) right before the season starts would be great as it seems to work well with the NRL and their Auckland 9s. Maybe, unlike them, we could move it around. London 9s one season, Coventry 9s the next, Newcastle 9s year after etc.. Only thing is, we'd probably need a shorter regular season as season is probably too long as it is already.

One thing I've seen suggested many times is scrapping the Magic Weekend in favour of a 9s weekend. Although I do enjoy Magic, this would certainly appeal to me. To keep it relevant to the regular season and maintain interest and competitiveness as well, it could be made that as well as a 9s trophy on offer, maybe some Super League points could be given to the overall winners too? It would technically be fairer than the current Magic formula too if only one club, the overall winners, got any league points. It can be annoying that we have to play Leeds or Saints every season when other clubs have had an "easier" game for 2 competition points.
With the exception of retention of the Hull derby, the fixtures for the next 'Magic' weekend have been formulated on the more competitive levels of this seasons league table ie 1v2, 3v4, 5v6 etc in a obvious attempt to stop possible one sided games and the fixture between Leeds playing Wigan which this time will not be based on a so called 'local derby' basis.

Under this format, the more successful clubs like Leeds, St Helens and Wigan are bound to possibly meet each other when they are more than likely to finish in the top four in most seasons.

Far better format than the so called local derby format which in some cases was never a local derby like a definite Leeds v Wigan or Catalan Dragons v whoever was the odd one out.