2006 Squad, looking good

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
wiganrldeanh

Re: 2006 Squad, looking go...

Post by wiganrldeanh »

Fraggle posted:

Indeed, I find myself agreeing with Doveoverdave for probably the first time about something!
theres been alot of agreeing recently ................ very strange :eh:
jinkin jimmy

Re: 2006 Squad, looking go...

Post by jinkin jimmy »

wiganrldeanh posted:
Fraggle posted:

Indeed, I find myself agreeing with Doveoverdave for probably the first time about something!
theres been alot of agreeing recently ................ very strange :eh:
No there hasn't.
Exiled Wiganer

Re: 2006 Squad, looking good

Post by Exiled Wiganer »

I am really looking forward to next year, and could see things really going well for us. I think Leeds will really miss their 2 wingers, and Bradford will be re-building.

I like the look of our pack - for the first time I can remember, we will have a full complement of props - Feca looks vg to me from the times I have seen him play, I remember Logan being a great player for FC, Seu Seu might pull his finger out, Scully seems a better player for Millward's coaching, and both Hargreaves and Prescott seem to have talent. A fit and well Newton and a developing Godwin is a great combination, while a back row set of Fletcher, Hock, Tickle, Lockers, Hansen and possibly Tomkins or Allen has the potential to be the best in the league.

In the backs, our halves seem to be improving under Milly, but, let's face it, are hardly Edwards and Greg. That said, Moran would be an excellent player if Fletcher, Newton and Lockers were doing a lot of the thinking for him (Fletcher is a very skilful player and often plays a ball playing role). He is an instinctive, rather than a structured player, and can do something special against any team. Orr could be better for playing behind a good pack, and seems to be coming along. So, not the world's worst.

The back 3 looks strong, I like the look of Gleeson, Goulding and Melling, but we need another centre as a top priority (we seem to say that every year). Maybe Halliwell is the man. In the modern game, having good wingers and a sound full back allows a team to get so much momentum on the counter attack that can set up a team.

If our key forwards can stay fit then I could certainly see us winning something.

Having sorted out the pack for 06, I suspect Milly will turn his attention to the backs for 07, at which point normal service will be resumed.