McNamara's Band

Got something to discuss about RL in general? Then this is the place to post it.
TrueBlueWarrior

Re: McNamara's Band

Post by TrueBlueWarrior »

Whelley Warrior wrote:If we were getting battered like we were a few seasons ago, some of the moaning might be understandable!

I can only put it down to either the moaners were not even a 'twinkle in their dad's eye' at the time or just the fact that the Coach is a dreaded Yorkie!
We weren't getting battered 'a few seasons ago' at all, we have been relatively close to both NZ and Australia for quite a few years now. The problem is that in the truly 'crucial' games when we and the other 2 nations have had their strongest teams out (give or take 1-2 injuries) we have lost for quite a few years now, meaning no series wins, no tri-nations wins, no world cup final games and no world cup final wins. Like I said it was great to see us win the series but until we do it against a stronger NZ team away from home I won't be getting carried away just yet.

'If you start listening to the fans it won't be long before you're sitting with them.' - Wayne Bennett
Owd Codger

Post by Owd Codger »

TrueBlueWarrior wrote:
Whelley Warrior wrote:If we were getting battered like we were a few seasons ago, some of the moaning might be understandable!

I can only put it down to either the moaners were not even a 'twinkle in their dad's eye' at the time or just the fact that the Coach is a dreaded Yorkie!
We weren't getting battered 'a few seasons ago' at all, we have been relatively close to both NZ and Australia for quite a few years now. The problem is that in the truly 'crucial' games when we and the other 2 nations have had their strongest teams out (give or take 1-2 injuries) we have lost for quite a few years now, meaning no series wins, no tri-nations wins, no world cup final games and no world cup final wins. Like I said it was great to see us win the series but until we do it against a stronger NZ team away from home I won't be getting carried away just yet.
Evidently, you were not around in the eighties then when King Wally and company reigned supreme!
markill

Post by markill »

I'd have assumed a few meant three or four, not 25-30
in the world of mules, there are no rules

LATEST PODCAST EPISODE
https://www.spreaker.com/user/superleaguepod
Smokie Jim

Post by Smokie Jim »

Whelley Warrior wrote:
TrueBlueWarrior wrote:

We weren't getting battered 'a few seasons ago' at all, we have been relatively close to both NZ and Australia for quite a few years now. The problem is that in the truly 'crucial' games when we and the other 2 nations have hareigned supreme!

Once again we see TBW slippery has ever introduced the phrase "truly crucial "to enable hm/her to descriminate from the rejection of the term "crucial in my reference to the 3rd test being critical for both teams this showing other interested

Edited by Mod

I strongly suspect that the introduction of the words"truly critical " is a means to enable that in the event of an England loss in the forthcoming 4 nations, WC He/she to announce " told you so " how pathetic is that. When I first came on the forum I respected TBW'sopinions. Not anymore. I will not do you the courtesy of reading any of your posts now or in the future. If this post gets me thrown off the forum so be it.
TrueBlueWarrior

Whelley Warrior wrote:
TrueBlueWarrior wrote:

Evidently, you were not around in the eighties then when King Wally and company reigned supreme!
So does 'a few seasons ago' mean 30-40 years ago?

Evidently you don't understand the term 'few'!!
'If you start listening to the fans it won't be long before you're sitting with them.' - Wayne Bennett
TrueBlueWarrior

Slim Jim wrote:
Whelley Warrior wrote:
TrueBlueWarrior wrote: We weren't getting battered 'a few seasons ago' at all, we have been relatively close to both NZ and Australia for quite a few years now. The problem is that in the truly 'crucial' games when we and the other 2 nations have hareigned supreme!

Once again we see TBW slippery has ever introduced the phrase "truly crucial "to enable hm/her to descriminate from the rejection of the term "crucial in my reference to the 3rd test being critical for both teams this showing other interested

Edited by mod

I strongly suspect that the introduction of the words"truly critical " is a means to enable that in the event of an England loss in the forthcoming 4 nations, WC He/she to announce " told you so " how pathetic is that. When I first came on the forum I respected TBW'sopinions. Not anymore. I will not do you the courtesy of reading any of your posts now or in the future. If this post gets me thrown off the forum so be it.
I wasn't aware that there was a huge difference between 'crucial' and 'truly crucial'!!

You have just made yourself look very silly Jim!! I mean imagine editing someone's post to try and make a point, I have highlighted it in bold to clearly show I never said that, I just hope it was a typo on your part!!

No I won't admit to being wrong when I am not wrong funnily enough.

I am also not into a 'I told you so', I want England to be successful, the only point I am making is I am not getting carried away with a series win on home soil that wasn't 'crucial' at all.

I won't lose any sleep about you not reading my posts and I truly hope you don't get thrown off the forum just for the comedy value alone that you offer!! Have a good day!! :wink:
stevethegas

Post by stevethegas »

It is unfortunate that so much of this post has become an argument between "True Blue Worrier" and the other contributors to this discussion. And I am saddened by the way the discussion has gone.

What I think is that we have just won an international series, and the coach clearly got it right. And I am absolutely delighted.

I love this great game. When I can I support it and speak well of it. Every year I take dozens of people to games to enjoy it, many of whom have never been to Rugby League before. The reason I do it is to support and enhance the game. I don't speak ill of it and don't put it down. Sadly, lots of RFU supporters do, and their arrogance and ignorance of League is pathetic. But then, so is the view of a so called supporter of League who just can't bring him/her self to say anything positive.

So what I wonder TBW, is what it is you hope to achieve by the miserable, curmudgeonly attitude you display? If we fail in the future do you want to look smart and say "I told you so"? Were you actually pleased we won against New Zealand? You state that you were, but nothing in your blogs suggests that were.
Do you actually support Rugby League? Do you wish it well? And if you do, then what on earth do you hope to achieve by all the misery you write? Do you seriously think that attitude will further the game?

No doubt you will write some self righteous and pompous pseudo justification for your views. But ask yourself if what you are writing is actually constructive and useful for the betterment of the game. Because it really doesn't look like it to the rest of us.
Stevethegas
TrueBlueWarrior

stevethegas wrote:It is unfortunate that so much of this post has become an argument between "True Blue Worrier" and the other contributors to this discussion. And I am saddened by the way the discussion has gone.

What I think is that we have just won an international series, and the coach clearly got it right. And I am absolutely delighted.

I love this great game. When I can I support it and speak well of it. Every year I take dozens of people to games to enjoy it, many of whom have never been to Rugby League before. The reason I do it is to support and enhance the game. I don't speak ill of it and don't put it down. Sadly, lots of RFU supporters do, and their arrogance and ignorance of League is pathetic. But then, so is the view of a so called supporter of League who just can't bring him/her self to say anything positive.

So what I wonder TBW, is what it is you hope to achieve by the miserable, curmudgeonly attitude you display? If we fail in the future do you want to look smart and say "I told you so"? Were you actually pleased we won against New Zealand? You state that you were, but nothing in your blogs suggests that were.
Do you actually support Rugby League? Do you wish it well? And if you do, then what on earth do you hope to achieve by all the misery you write? Do you seriously think that attitude will further the game?

No doubt you will write some self righteous and pompous pseudo justification for your views. But ask yourself if what you are writing is actually constructive and useful for the betterment of the game. Because it really doesn't look like it to the rest of us.
Firstly if you read the thread properly and other threads on the series, I am far from 'alone' in my views regarding the series win and its value, many others agree with me!!

Yes we have won a series, I to am also delighted and the coach did get it right on this occasion as opposed to all the other times he has got it wrong!!

I love this great game also and congratulations to you for introducing new people to the sport, well done!! To say I don't say anything positive about our game is absolutely ridiculous as I am positive about most things RL, so I suggest you read more of my posts, but then again if you don't I couldn't care less!!

What I hoped to achieve was to say well done to the lads on a series win I was very proud of you all but as a fan I wasn't getting carried away with the series win as it was against a weakened NZ team without doubt! I thought I had made that clear but obviously not!!

Again I am not into a 'I told you so' attitude but time will tell just how important and good of a win this series was!! I am a supporter and entitled to be positive when I want and also negative (on the rare occasion) when I want, I didn't realise there was rules regarding positivity and negativity in RL! Unfortunately my opinion on a forum of which you clearly don't understand what a forum is all about, will not impact on the future of the game positively no, but I am sure you taking new people to games will do.

Please ask yourself before you reply are you speaking for yourself or 'the rest of us' as I am sure other posters would like to be made aware of you speaking on their behalf!!

So what I wonder 'Steve' is what is the actual point of your post other than personal insults?
Wiganer Ted

Post by Wiganer Ted »

McNamara's squad did win the series, we know that.
His other squads were noticable by the miserable brand of Rugby played and their worse than miserable results.
McNamara's performance at the last World Cup was shambolic on and off the field. He should have been sacked then.

Under no circumstances whatsoever should he lead England into the next World Cup. To stand any chance of a win in the Southern Hemisphere we need a coach of far higher calibre than McNamara.
We have some excellent players and they need an excellent coach and assistant coach.

McNamara and Lowes are not up to the task, neither are head coach at a top flight club and neither should be anywhere near to coaching the National Squad.

We need a new England head coach and assistant coach who have proven track records of success and winning trophies at club level.
TrueBlueWarrior

Wiganer Ted wrote:McNamara's squad did win the series, we know that.
His other squads were noticable by the miserable brand of Rugby played and their worse than miserable results.
McNamara's performance at the last World Cup was shambolic on and off the field. He should have been sacked then.

Under no circumstances whatsoever should he lead England into the next World Cup. To stand any chance of a win in the Southern Hemisphere we need a coach of far higher calibre than McNamara.
We have some excellent players and they need an excellent coach and assistant coach.

McNamara and Lowes are not up to the task, neither are head coach at a top flight club and neither should be anywhere near to coaching the National Squad.

We need a new England head coach and assistant coach who have proven track records of success and winning trophies at club level.
Be prepared for a barrage of abuse Ted!! :wink: