Gildart’s ‘dig’ for huge year ahead

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
josie andrews

Gildart’s ‘dig’ for huge year ahead

Post by josie andrews »

OLIVER Gildart has no fears of second-season syndrome as he begins preparations for a “massive” 2016.

The teenage centre was one of the success stories of last season.

After breaking into the side during the Super 8s, he held onto his place as Wigan stormed to a Grand Final appearance.

Gildart says the late-season exposure has made him even more determined to make an impression on coach Shaun Wane during pre-season, which officially began this week.

And with fit-again centre Dan Sarginson the likeliest option to replace injured Sam Tomkins at full-back for the early stages, Gildart is well aware there is an opening in the side.

He said: “It’s going to be a massive year. Having had the taste with a few games last season, I want to keep doing it – I don’t want to drop below that standard any more. I want to keep my place now.

“I’m going to have a real dig in pre-season and hopefully impress Shaun and get the start.”

Gildart – the only academy-product to debut for Warriors last term – has returned to pre-season more settled within the first-team environment.

“A year ago I came in and, being a young lad, you keep your head down,” he said. “Now I know the lads and I’ve come out of my shell a bit.”

And he hopes to add some muscle to his frame during the winter training.

“I’m going to try and put a couple kilos on,” he added. “But I don’t want to lose my speed because that’s a main part of my game.”

http://www.wigantoday.net/sport/wigan-w ... z3saJ7FF8S
Anyone can support a team when it is winning, that takes no courage.
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
that takes a lot of courage. #18thMan
menpond

Re: Gildart’s ‘dig’ for huge year ahead

Post by menpond »

Good luck to him. Still see him sharing nos 6,7,and 9 with MM , and the halves. Pace and penetration needed in the middle,bit like Roby provides. This is a key job,not a demotion from centre.
mp
nathan_rugby

Post by nathan_rugby »

menpond wrote:Good luck to him. Still see him sharing nos 6,7,and 9 with MM , and the halves. Pace and penetration needed in the middle,bit like Roby provides. This is a key job,not a demotion from centre.
You are literally on another planet.

Gildart is no way a 6, 7 or 9. Do you even watch Wigan or understand Rugby League? Some of your comments are completely baffling.

He has played Centre for Wigan and showed nothing that would suggest he is a half.

Crazy
Bomhead - "Lockers to prop."
OAMJSONA

Post by OAMJSONA »

menpond wrote:Good luck to him. Still see him sharing nos 6,7,and 9 with MM , and the halves. Pace and penetration needed in the middle,bit like Roby provides. This is a key job,not a demotion from centre.
your away with the faireys
Wigan is and always will be a town of Cherry & White

butt monkey

Post by butt monkey »

To be fair to him I think he got him mixed up with another player
[img]http://www.webdeveloper.com/animations/ ... monkey.gif[/img]

The biggest Room is the Room for improvement.

The best form of defence is attack!!

Out of the black and into the red, remember you don't get anything for two in a bed!!