Kevin Sinfield nominated for Sports Personality of the Year 2015

Got something to discuss about RL in general? Then this is the place to post it.
widdenoldboy

Re: Kevin Sinfield nominated for Sports Personality of the Year 2015

Post by widdenoldboy »

Yep

RL first
Wigan second
England third

Vote vote vote
Smokie Jim

Post by Smokie Jim »

josie andrews wrote:What personality?
Sorry Josie but he has more than that Scots Nationalist wo has the charisma of a dead Aberdeen Smokie. Happy Christmas
josie andrews

Post by josie andrews »

Slim Jim wrote:
josie andrews wrote:What personality?
Sorry Josie but he has more than that Scots Nationalist wo has the charisma of a dead Aberdeen Smokie. Happy Christmas
Think you mean an Arbroath Smokie Jim ????

????????????☃ Merry Christmas
Anyone can support a team when it is winning, that takes no courage.
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
that takes a lot of courage. #18thMan
Smokie Jim

Post by Smokie Jim »

Thanks for correcting me and Taa for my new tag Josie. No I don't smoke just give off a slight wiff It's the after shave. Honest. :o
josie andrews

Post by josie andrews »

Smokie Jim wrote:Thanks for correcting me and Taa for my new tag Josie. No I don't smoke just give off a slight wiff It's the after shave. Honest. :o
Ha ha nice one. I'm sure you knew what I meant tho!
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
Owd Codger

Post by Owd Codger »

thegimble wrote:
old hooker wrote:I would not vote for Sinfield simply because I have never rated him as being anything better than a good clubman.I could not care less who he plays for.Had Hardaker been nominated I could understand it as he has been voted the best player in SL but up pops Sinfield once again.He has never been able to hold down an international place until the present England coach came along and once again he gave some ordinary displays as England Captain, so I for one am not bias against Leeds or any other club, just giving an honest opinion.
And your right but look at that list and none apart from Tyson Fury and Bale none have a personality to start with. I am not saying I will vote for him but I do not understand the I will not vote cause they do not like us.

He deserves to be nominated as he did lead them to the treble but that list is really weak. For me personally Gareth Bale for leading Wales to top 10 in the world. That has taken some doing. That list shows how poor sporting year has been.
Exactly, and you are right with your contribution.

While the list is poor, the favourite is a tax dodger and another is homophobic, we spend out time calling a player just because he plays for another club or making jokes about it.

No wonder, others don't take our game seriously!

yokozuna

Post by yokozuna »

Just to clarify:

personality
pəːsəˈnalɪti/
noun
noun: personality; plural noun: personalities

the combination of characteristics or qualities that form an individual's distinctive character.
"she had a sunny personality that was very engaging"
synonyms: character, nature, disposition, temperament, make-up, persona, psyche, identity
"her cheerful and vibrant personality"
lively, engaging qualities.
"she's always had loads of personality"
synonyms: charisma, magnetism, strength of personality, force of personality, character, powers of attraction, charm, presence, individuality, attractiveness

a celebrity or famous person.
"an official opening by a famous personality"

----

With SPOTY, 'personality' refers to definition Number 2, rather than number 1.
Footballers spend 90 minutes pretending they're injured. Rugby League players spend 80 minutes pretending they're not.
Smokie Jim

Post by Smokie Jim »

yokozuna wrote:Just to clarify:

personality
pəːsəˈnalɪti/
noun
noun: personality; plural noun: personalities

the combination of characteristics or qualities that form an individual's distinctive character.
"she had a sunny personality that was very engaging"
synonyms: character, nature, disposition, temperament, make-up, persona, psyche, identity
"her cheerful and vibrant personality"
lively, engaging qualities.
synonyms: charisma, magnetism, strength of personality, force of personality, character, powers of attraction, charm, presence, individuality, attractiveness

a celebrity or famous person.
"an official opening by a famous personality"

----

With SPOTY, 'personality' refers to definition Number 2, rather than number 1.
Not not necessarily. You highlight the ambiguity of the topic very well But Josie asks the question "what personality ?" Which suggests she is asking for the an answer to "personality "conforming with def 1. She clarifies the ambiguity by the form of her question. Notice had the reference been to A sports personality the ambiguity wouldn't arise it could only have the definition corresponding to def. 2. I though she exploited the ambiguity quite well and with some wit which I for one enjoyed :D
DaveO

Post by DaveO »

thegimble wrote:
old hooker wrote:I would not vote for Sinfield simply because I have never rated him as being anything better than a good clubman.I could not care less who he plays for.Had Hardaker been nominated I could understand it as he has been voted the best player in SL but up pops Sinfield once again.He has never been able to hold down an international place until the present England coach came along and once again he gave some ordinary displays as England Captain, so I for one am not bias against Leeds or any other club, just giving an honest opinion.
And your right but look at that list and none apart from Tyson Fury and Bale none have a personality to start with. I am not saying I will vote for him but I do not understand the I will not vote cause they do not like us.

He deserves to be nominated as he did lead them to the treble but that list is really weak. For me personally Gareth Bale for leading Wales to top 10 in the world. That has taken some doing. That list shows how poor sporting year has been.
Old Hooker is right. He doesn't deserve a vote because as Old Hooker says he's nothing more than a good club man.

That is quite important in my view because to transcend club loyalties and earn the votes of fans of other clubs he'd have to be a great player not just for Leeds but for England. He isn't.

Fans will put club loyalty aside for a great player but not for an average one.

And as Old Hooker says his performances for England have been average at best. Great players rise to the challenge, Sinfield wasn't up to it.

Contrast that with how Lockers goes at International level. He looks even better than when he plays for Wigan. And no I am not saying Lockers should be nominated but merely using him as an example as to why Sinfield simply isn't good enough for a vote.

I don't think it is fans not voting for him shooting RL in the foot either. Voting for someone you genuinely think is just average is hypocritical and if he did win then it would in my view be a hollow victory and one easily questioned.

The wrong player got nominated but saying that I don't think we have any truly great players in the game at the moment plying their trade in SL. If Hanley were playing now I'd say he'd be a shoe for votes from fans from across all clubs but Sinfield? Nope.

I think they should have stopped with nominating Leeds for team for the year.
josie andrews

Post by josie andrews »

Runner up