Tierney counting down the days

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
DaveO

Re: Tierney counting down the days

Post by DaveO »

Kittwazzer wrote:
DaveO wrote:This reminds me of when Wane picked Murphy to play in a play off semi-final v Leeds.

Chucked in at the deep end. Didn't work.

Has Wane really convinced himself Tierney can do the job?

It's one thing showing faith in young players but this seems as mad as playing Murphy in that semi-final.
Jack was treated shamefully IMO. His only previous game that season was at home where he was the only decent player when we were humiliated by Bradford.
I don't disagree. In fact I think Tierney is being treated in exactly the same way which is my point.

Mike
Site Admin

Post by Mike »

Maybe he'll play in preseason, play himself into the role, grow in confidence and show us his true quality. Hope so. I'm not prepared to write him off before he's played this year.
⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
DaveO

Post by DaveO »

Mike wrote:Maybe he'll play in preseason, play himself into the role, grow in confidence and show us his true quality. Hope so. I'm not prepared to write him off before he's played this year.
I don't think it is about writing players off but being realistic about what you can expect. Am I wrong if I say if he makes a success of it then that will be a big surprise to both of us?

He's got virtually no 1st grade SL experience and yet is going to be asked to be first choice full back for several weeks and if I am not mistaken against Brisbane as well.

It's not fair on him.

Mike
Site Admin

Post by Mike »

DaveO wrote:
Mike wrote:Maybe he'll play in preseason, play himself into the role, grow in confidence and show us his true quality. Hope so. I'm not prepared to write him off before he's played this year.
I don't think it is about writing players off but being realistic about what you can expect. Am I wrong if I say if he makes a success of it then that will be a big surprise to both of us?

He's got virtually no 1st grade SL experience and yet is going to be asked to be first choice full back for several weeks and if I am not mistaken against Brisbane as well.

It's not fair on him.
He's not being asked to be first choice full back for the whole season though is he? Just a couple of weeks in a non crucial part of the year. If that too much to ask, then everything is.

Personally, I've not seen enough of him to makes a judgement whether he'll be good enough or not. He's no Sam Tomkin's, but he could be more than good enough to do a job for us.
⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
DaveO

Post by DaveO »

Mike wrote:
DaveO wrote:

It's not fair on him.
He's not being asked to be first choice full back for the whole season though is he? Just a couple of weeks in a non crucial part of the year. If that too much to ask, then everything is.

Personally, I've not seen enough of him to makes a judgement whether he'll be good enough or not. He's no Sam Tomkin's, but he could be more than good enough to do a job for us.
Couple of weeks? I thought it was much longer than that.

Am I wrong? If so OK.

As to not having seen enough to judge, doesn't the fact you will have seen nothing never mind enough put some doubt into your mind?

It's another muck or nettles call from Wane. I don't think that is very professional.
Owd Codger

Post by Owd Codger »

DaveO wrote:

It's not fair on him.

Is it fair not to give a player a chance?

As for having no 1st team experience, neither had others from the Academy when first selected, especially like young Gildart who was put in at the business end of the season and made a success of the job.

Oh ye of little faith!

p.s. Anyone remember Rads being given his chance against Leeds in a trophy final at Old Trafford?
Cherry_Warrior

Post by Cherry_Warrior »

None of us know if he will make it or not but if he is good enough to have a chance that's fine by me. Murphy was never going to make it, regardless of the error against Leeds. I remember his parents telling me how much better he was than Russell in an under 19s match once because Matty wasn't any good under the high ball :conf: :conf:

Some of you lot baffle me. Cry all season about Hampshire not getting in who is around the same age and then cry when someone gets a chance. Only in Wigan. Why don't we get behind him rather than waiting for his forst mistake eh?

FWIW i think he is better on the wing anyway.
DaveO

Post by DaveO »

Cherry_Warrior wrote:
Some of you lot baffle me. Cry all season about Hampshire not getting in who is around the same age and then cry when someone gets a chance. Only in Wigan. Why don't we get behind him rather than waiting for his forst mistake eh?
For one thing no one is waiting for the first mistake and people are simply questioning the wisdom of chucking Tierney in at the deep end.

You will also find hardly anyone who thinks Hampshire should be playing full back either.

The calls for Hampshire to be in the first team are at 6 to partner Williams who he played alongside in the academy and I think this arises largely because Smith proved so average last season. It is certainly a better reason to have him in the side than Tierney and Hampshire does have some first team experience.

As it is Hampshire is off on loan so if age has anything to do with it why hasn't Tierney gone out on a season's long loan as well?

I think the answer is obvious. Needs must and a top side like Wigan enter the season with a full back no one has a clue as to whether he can hack it or not. And if he is honest with himself I think that will include Wane as well.

Wiganer Ted

Post by Wiganer Ted »

Tierney was never going out on loan as he has taken Manfredi's spot as reserve winger for 2016.

The fact he has been slotted into full back due to Sam's injury was nothing to do with the club's 2016 plans for him.

I'd imagine if one of our wingers cops a knock then Tierney will go wing with Sarge to fb and Gildart centre.
Nezza Faz

Post by Nezza Faz »

With a month to go to the new season I was scanning the odds for Wigan success in 2016.

Reading the comments on this thread regarding our chances, I had the thought there could be some worthwhile bets to be had with the different betting companies, and some decent money to be made, at this early point of the year.

But no chance; four of the biggest have us down as favourites for BOTH the League Leaders & Grand Final ! In fact, most only have Leeds as joint third, behind Saints !

So probably stay poor, in the eyes of the gaming fraternity.