Farrell to IRELAND!

Got anything else on your mind that isn't about the Warriors? If you do, this is the place to post.
cpwigan

Re: Farrell to IRELAND!

Post by cpwigan »

So Faz has not been a fantastic union servant as a coach where Edwards has been?
SJ

Post by SJ »

cpwigan wrote:So Faz has not been a fantastic union servant as a coach where Edwards has been?
This seems to me to be what WW meant but I'll let him clarify that if he choses to do so. The English RFU would I think support that contention hence his dismissal. The Wales RFU on the other hand do seem happy with Edwards has coach. I'm just happy he is not our coach and he appears to be excited at becoming the Irish defence coach. So good luck to him for the future.
thegimble

Post by thegimble »

cpwigan wrote:So Faz has not been a fantastic union servant as a coach where Edwards has been?
Faz had had it easier by a long shot.

Saracens cash rich is the easiest job in rugby world wide to finish top of your league. Whilst Edwards has Wasps struggled to compete.

Its like coaching Leeds or us and comparing someone who coached Wakefield or Hull KR. Edwards internationally has done the better with the second worst nation to coach apart from NZ.

Faz has been adequate with what he was given. Edwards turned Wales round defensively and I think has won more 6 nations.
cpwigan

Post by cpwigan »

Interesting. Personally I think both have been hugely successful as coaches in Union. Both proved themselves with the Lions. I think Edwards has made the better choices by working alongside Garland and for Wales. England RU is a poisoned chalice. Anything related to England RU is not likely to last long, look at Sam Burgess. Both probably make better assistants than head coaches in Union.
Wiganer Ted

Post by Wiganer Ted »

Ireland have had League assistant coaches before.
I think Graham Steadman and Mike Ford were assistants for the Irish.

If Waney were to depart I'd have either Edwards or Farrell back as head coach in a heartbeat.
They're both that good they'll be ahead of the game whichever code they coach in.

Best of luck to Farrell, I wish him well!
Wintergreen

Post by Wintergreen »

Wiganer Ted wrote:Ireland have had League assistant coaches before.
I think Graham Steadman and Mike Ford were assistants for the Irish.

If Waney were to depart I'd have either Edwards or Farrell back as head coach in a heartbeat.
They're both that good they'll be ahead of the game whichever code they coach in.

Best of luck to Farrell, I wish him well!
Have to disagree.

Both great servants to Wigan RL but WAY off the pace currently to be a top RL coach.

Had a passing interest in Farrell as an England RU coach. Couldn't care less about him as an Irish RU coach. Then again that could be due to the amount of anti RL Irish bile I have had to put up with over the years.

Owd Codger

Post by Owd Codger »

SJ wrote:
This seems to me to be what WW meant but I'll let him clarify that if he choses to do so. The English RFU would I think support that contention hence his dismissal. The Wales RFU on the other hand do seem happy with Edwards has coach. I'm just happy he is not our coach and he appears to be excited at becoming the Irish defence coach. So good luck to him for the future.
Glad to see that someone could understand what I meant.

Edwards has been far more successful as a Coach in Union both at club and international level. Even speculation that following the sacking of Stuart Lancaster and prior to the appointment of Eddie Jones, he was among the candidates for the position of England RU Coach.

Farrell on the other hand was not even considered for promotion by England, just sacked!

I will always remember him as a great and outstanding player and goalkicker for Wigan, but never want to see anyone who takes a talented international away from our game become a Coach of our club.
cpwigan

Post by cpwigan »

Whelley Warrior wrote:
SJ wrote:
Glad to see that someone could understand what I meant.

Edwards has been far more successful as a Coach in Union both at club and international level. Even speculation that following the sacking of Stuart Lancaster and prior to the appointment of Eddie Jones, he was among the candidates for the position of England RU Coach.

Farrell on the other hand was not even considered for promotion by England, just sacked!

I will always remember him as a great and outstanding player and goalkicker for Wigan, but never want to see anyone who takes a talented international away from our game become a Coach of our club.
Didn't Farrell replace Edwards at the Lions? Didn't Edwards hold off on extending his Welsh contract to see if Jone wanted him and then when it was not forthcoming accepted his latest Welsh contract.

Both fantastic men IMO. I think for both like several; have stated maybe even a head coach in RL is a big ask given how long they have been away. I agree personally but that does not mean either could not in time become outstanding RL coaches..
bill.inger

Post by bill.inger »

Just been announced that he's going to Munster with immediate effect and taking over the Irish Union coaching job in four months time.
thegimble

Post by thegimble »

cpwigan wrote:Interesting. Personally I think both have been hugely successful as coaches in Union. Both proved themselves with the Lions. I think Edwards has made the better choices by working alongside Garland and for Wales. England RU is a poisoned chalice. Anything related to England RU is not likely to last long, look at Sam Burgess. Both probably make better assistants than head coaches in Union.
Not belittling anyone just Edwards had it tougher start. Saracens even I could make them a top 3 side.