Stats Under Millward

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
Fraggle

Re: Stats Under Millward

Post by Fraggle »

ChrisA posted:
That was one of my points in this thread, and also on a topic I made a while back, he is gettin players to belive in themselves alot more, tonight our passing was the best i've seen all year, it looked alot more natural rather than the forced style we have seen to much of this year, they looked like a team who wanted to play rugby and try to entertain a little. All our guys look alot happier in their play and look more confident in everything they try.
One other thing that really pleased me was to see players backing each other up, particularly in the first half. When we made breaks there was almost always someone there for the ball carrier, which we've not been good at. Things got a bit flat in the 2nd half, but it's definitely getting there.

I'm not one of Millward's biggest fans, but I've never questioned his coaching ability and I think it's definitely starting to show through. His enthusiasm for the game, if nothing else, was very evident amongst the players tonight.

Hansen looked impressive again, he reminded me a bit of Farrell last season with the way he was trying to use his size to break the line, and that try at the end needed work so he's done very well to get the ball down despite so many defenders.
http://fraggle.fotopic.net

"You rescue me, you are my faith, my hope, my liberty.
And when there's darkness all around, you shine bright for me, you are a guiding light to me....
You are a Tower of Strength to me" - Wayne Hussey, The Mission.

Shepherd's Bush Empire - 27/Feb/08 - 1/Mar/08
[hr]
DaveO

Post by DaveO »

Fraggle posted:

One other thing that really pleased me was to see players backing each other up, particularly in the first half. When we made breaks there was almost always someone there for the ball carrier, which we've not been good at. Things got a bit flat in the 2nd half, but it's definitely getting there.
I think that was understandable to a degree. I am pretty sure the penalty count weas against us in the 2nd half or at least for the first 20 min of it and I think that told.
I'm not one of Millward's biggest fans, but I've never questioned his coaching ability and I think it's definitely starting to show through. His enthusiasm for the game, if nothing else, was very evident amongst the players tonight.
I agree, the scenes at the end showed that.
Hansen looked impressive again, he reminded me a bit of Farrell last season with the way he was trying to use his size to break the line, and that try at the end needed work so he's done very well to get the ball down despite so many defenders.
Earlier in the season Hansen had started to look tentative on hitting the line. He seemed to slow up rather than trying to bust through.

Tonight there was no evidence of that at all. I thought he played a great game throughout. He backed up and his positional sense was great. I don't know if you noticed but at one point in the second half he ran around the outside of one player to make it possible for the player pass out of the tackle in a way that opened up that side of play.

Earlier in the seaosn he didn't have the confidence for that sort of thing IMO. If that is down to Millward (and of course the player as well) then great!

Dave
ian.birchall

Post by ian.birchall »

ChrisA posted:
It looks like the majority on Wigan fans are now waring to Millward, now I think, its just the odd few like our very own Ian Birchall who have a beef with his appointment.
ChrisA, Coming round to my way of thinkiing at last? ,you must not be paranoid, even if I am out to get you :lol:
Regarder une fille en bikini, c'est comme avoir un revolver chargé sur sa table:
Il n'y a rien de mal a ça mais il est difficile de penser à autre chose.

Now Europe is just for holidays.
warrior till i die

Post by warrior till i die »

Ive not been to a wigan game since the wakefield game for one reason or another but boy I can see the difference. Usually when we concede a try the players heads go down they didnt last night. If I was to take one thing to work on I think it would be one on one tackling as Leeds broke the line far to easily.
ancient and loyal upon my chest
they are men of wigans best
a team that playyyyyyed the wigan way
and won the championship in may

jim sullivan he was the king
brian mctigueee and jonny ring
a team that playyyyyed the wigan way

when eric ashton was alive
with billy boston by his side
dave bolton and billy blan
oh what a time to be a fan!

in 85, at wem ber ley
john ferguson and brett kenny
a team that played the wigan way
and won the challenge cup in may

in 95 we won them all
tuigamala, faz and paul
a team that playyyyyed the wigan way

Ancient and loyal upon my chest
they are men of wigans best
a team that playyyyyyed the wigan way
and won the championship in may.
thegimble

Post by thegimble »

ChrisA posted:
It looks like the majority on Wigan fans are now warimg to Millward, after recent results and seeing the guys improve so much under him its no real surprise, aswel you can see his heart is in this club of ours now and he really wants the best for us, the amount of times hes complemeted the fans is great to see, he has my support and most others by now I think, its just the odd few like our very own Ian Birchall who have a beef with his appointment.
Fans only warm to any coach when they win. IM has changed things round in the last 5-6 weeks.

People like IB might still think hes a Saints man at heart and find it difficult to see beyond this.

Hes got the present team looking like a top 6 side what will he do with a full squad and better players.
Jimmy Birts

Post by Jimmy Birts »

Millward was the 14th man out there last night. The first half had his mark all over it. Exciting rugby, loads of options coming off the half backs. The second half didn't see the collapse that we've witnessed so many times this season and again I put that down to the confidence and self belief that Millward has developed at the club. A bloke turned to me last night & said, 'fookin hell, what a team we'll be next year, unbeatable'. It does make you think that with 7 faces (I'm including Hock & Lockers) coming into the side that Millward will have the place rocking next season. He will have had the time to truly stamp his mark all over the playing style in readiness for next year.
You just have to thank Saints for throwing us the 'get out of jail card' when they did!
mike binder

Post by mike binder »

:) speaking to one of our coaches last night he reckons in 18 months well be the top team again.WHY DO WE NEED TO WAIT THAT LONG CONFEIDENCE BACK AND OME GREAT NEW SIGNINGS DOES HE NOT think well be up there challenging next year if we dont win the grand final this year(only dreaming on the last 1)but well lose our next 2
mikebinderflooring@yahoo.co.uk for all your carpets and vinyls suppiled and fitted

TROPHIES COMING HOME
IT COMING HOME
ITS COMING HOME
ITS COMING
TROPHIES COMING HOME
mrs_carney

Post by mrs_carney »

mike binder posted:
:) speaking to one of our coaches last night he reckons in 18 months well be the top team again.WHY DO WE NEED TO WAIT THAT LONG CONFEIDENCE BACK AND OME GREAT NEW SIGNINGS DOES HE NOT think well be up there challenging next year if we dont win the grand final this year(only dreaming on the last 1)but well lose our next 2
Because perfection takes time!!!!!!
11/07/05 x - Always and forever - x <3
mike binder

Post by mike binder »

mrs_carney posted:
mike binder posted:
Because perfection takes time!!!!!!
:lol: DIDNT TAKE YOU THAT LONG :eh:
mikebinderflooring@yahoo.co.uk for all your carpets and vinyls suppiled and fitted

TROPHIES COMING HOME
IT COMING HOME
ITS COMING HOME
ITS COMING
TROPHIES COMING HOME
sedbergh

Post by sedbergh »

I think Brett Dallas won us the game. He made a tackle in the second half as Leeds attacked down their right hand side, taking the Leeds player (Calderwood I think) into touch. I commented to my son at the time that that was a match saving tackle. It was a tremendous game and all the lads worked hard. Great to see, and now for Saints. Can't wait for Friday!!!