Connor Farrell Extends Contract and Joins Widnes On Loan

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
josie andrews

Connor Farrell Extends Contract and Joins Widnes On Loan

Post by josie andrews »

Connor Farrell Extends Wigan contract until the end of November 2018

Young forward joins Widnes for 2016 season

“Connor is a good young player who needs to be playing Rugby League regularly at a competitive level.” Ian Lenagan

Wigan Warriors announce that Connor Farrell has signed a contract extension with Wigan which will run until the end of November 2018 and, as the next stage of Connor’s senior development, he will join Widnes on loan for the 2016 season.

22-year-old Farrell, who is a graduate of the famed Wigan Youth Development system, is highly regarded at Wigan and has played nine times for the First Team since making his debut against Widnes in June 2014. He is clearly ready to play Super League games regularly but the strength of Wigan’s current International back row and backups means he may not get those games regularly for Wigan in 2016.

The agreement with Widnes Vikings is for a 12-month loan for the 2016 season without contractual constraints and with the intention that Connor can challenge for a regular Super League position at Widnes.

Wigan Warriors Chairman, Ian Lenagan, said:

“Connor is a good young player who needs to be playing Rugby League regularly at a competitive level and the current shambles of Reserves/Dual-Registration does not allow that opportunity.

We believe this move will help Connor achieve more senior game time which will help him improve as a player and allow him the chance to show his capabilities regularly on the Super League stage.

“Connor has a major future at the Wigan Club and we have extended his contract until the end of 2018 to reflect the year away. Connor is determined to have a long-term successful career at Wigan and agrees that this is the right opportunity for the next stage of his career development.

“We have a good relationship with Widnes and know that Connor’s development is in excellent hands under their talented Head Coach, Denis Betts”.

Wigan Warriors Head Coach, Shaun Wane, said:

“This is a good move for Connor and one that will serve him well in the future. Greg Burke recently returned to Wigan after spending a year with Hull KR and is a much better player for that and I know that Connor will take this opportunity with both hands. Widnes are getting a highly professional young player who works very hard. We are looking forward to monitoring how he reacts to the pressure of Super League this year.”

Connor Farrell said:

“I am delighted to have extended my deal at Wigan and am very grateful to Kris Radlinski and Ian Lenagan for giving me this opportunity to play regularly in Super League. I am now at the stage of my career where I feel I need to play weekly in the Super League and hope to be able to do that this year. People I have spoken to have only had good things to say about Widnes and I’m looking forward to playing for them this year before returning to Wigan in 2017 and 2018.”

http://www.wiganwarriors.com/news/2016- ... ZsOAk7s.99
Anyone can support a team when it is winning, that takes no courage.
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
that takes a lot of courage. #18thMan
thegimble

Re: Connor Farrell Extends Contract and Joins Widnes On Loan

Post by thegimble »

Read this on sporting life 5 minutes ago.

Josie you should have made the topic heading

Farrell to Widnes instead of SOL

Meltdown until they read the article.
josie andrews

Post by josie andrews »

thegimble wrote:Read this on sporting life 5 minutes ago.

Josie you should have made the topic heading

Farrell to Widnes instead of SOL

Meltdown until they read the article.
:lol: :lol:
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
Wiganer Ted

Post by Wiganer Ted »

Liam had a loan spell at Widnes some years ago and it didn't do him too much harm!
Mike
Site Admin

Post by Mike »

We've sort of swapped him for ISA this season then? I wonder where ISAs game time is coming from this year? In the centres?
⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
🏆🏆🏆🏆
markill

Post by markill »

Mike wrote:We've sort of swapped him for ISA this season then? I wonder where ISAs game time is coming from this year? In the centres?
His utility value means he can fill in a few places. I'd reckon he's here for injury/loss of form cover in the back row primarily though. I'm more interested to see where Burke gets his game time, but both your expect are pleased with Connor going out on loan and reducing competition for places
in the world of mules, there are no rules

LATEST PODCAST EPISODE
https://www.spreaker.com/user/superleaguepod
menpond

Post by menpond »

No wonder our descent from the heights,now 20 years and going strong continues. If L Farrell is not good enough now,he never will be. After all there will be more new players coming through ,and surely the odd one good enough to make it to first team at 22?We need a real coach to filter out the mediocre ,ie be able to measure a good player from an also ran ,immediately,and put out a competitive 17.Wane must go.
mp
josie andrews

Post by josie andrews »

menpond wrote:No wonder our descent from the heights,now 20 years and going strong continues. If L Farrell is not good enough now,he never will be. After all there will be more new players coming through ,and surely the odd one good enough to make it to first team at 22?We need a real coach to filter out the mediocre ,ie be able to measure a good player from an also ran ,immediately,and put out a competitive 17.Wane must go.

If you read the report properly you will see that it's CONNOR FARRELL!!
Tuigamala

Post by Tuigamala »

menpond wrote:No wonder our descent from the heights,now 20 years and going strong continues. If L Farrell is not good enough now,he never will be. After all there will be more new players coming through ,and surely the odd one good enough to make it to first team at 22?We need a real coach to filter out the mediocre ,ie be able to measure a good player from an also ran ,immediately,and put out a competitive 17.Wane must go.
You talk crap, contradict yourself and get many facts wrong. Me thinks your a bit of a troll!
"If there is no blood on the line, it is not rugby league"
(Russell Crowe)

cpwigan

Post by cpwigan »

josie andrews wrote:

If you read the report properly you will see that it's CONNOR FARRELL!!
:eusa10: Glasses for Menpond