Steve Ganson becomes RFL’s new Head of Match Officials

Got something to discuss about RL in general? Then this is the place to post it.
josie andrews

Steve Ganson becomes RFL’s new Head of Match Officials

Post by josie andrews »

Former Super League Match Official Steve Ganson has been appointed the RFL's new Head of Match Officials.

Ganson has spent the last three years as Match Officials Coach and Technical Director, helping oversee the introduction of two new full-time Match Officials and increasing the number of referees in the Community Game, while assisting a number of revolutionary rule changes in the sport.

The 46-year-old made his senior debut as a Match Official when he took charge of a match between Barrow and Carlisle on August 27, 1995 and refereed his first Super League match the following August as Castleford Tigers took on Paris St Germain.

He also officiated in the 2008 World Cup and in a number of major domestic finals, before retiring in April 2013 as the sport's most experienced official at club and international level.

Commenting on his appointment, Ganson said: "I’m really pleased to have been appointed the RFL’s new Head of Match Officials.

"I have been involved with refereeing at the highest level for 20 years and taken charge of games on the biggest world stages. I understand refereeing and the increasing demands placed on our referees.

"It’s a critical area in the sport.

"There are changes we will introduce in the way we prepare, coach, assess and appoint our referees," he continued.

"Our coaching structure has been reviewed to assist in developing our referees and I want to accelerate the development of Championship and reserve grade referees so we have a stronger talent pool to select from at the highest levels.

"I fully intend to give the referees the support and the framework they need. It’s the small margins at elite level that make a real difference."

The RFL's Chief Operating Officer, Ralph Rimmer, added: "Following an open and extensive recruitment process, which attracted an international field of applicants, we are delighted to announce that Steve Ganson has been confirmed as the new Head of Match Officials.

"This is in addition to recent announcements of increased levels of investment into the Match Officials structure, which has enabled the expansion of the number of full-time match officials from seven to nine, greater levels of off-field coaching and assessment, plus the introduction of increased Sports Science.

"A great deal of work over recent months has also gone into the Match Officials Pathway within the development pyramid and, following that work, Super League Match Official Ben Thaler will be heading up a focused recruitment campaign which is now being rolled out by the team.

"The appointment of the Head of Match Officials is an important milestone within the significant journey that the Match Officials structure has recently undergone. As would be expected, the position attracted interest from all over the globe.

"The process was thorough and Steve's appointment is well deserved.

"He brings outstanding skills and huge experience to the role but, more than that, it was his ideas and enthusiasm that shone out and eventually secured the position at this very exciting time."

http://www.therfl.co.uk/news/article/33 ... s-rfls-new
Anyone can support a team when it is winning, that takes no courage.
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
that takes a lot of courage. #18thMan
THE JUDGE

Re: Steve Ganson becomes RFL’s new Head of Match Officials

Post by THE JUDGE »

The Lunatics are running the Asylum!!!!
Following a Judicial Review of my computer, I hope I have now resolved my inability to participate
SJ

Post by SJ »

THE JUDGE wrote:The Lunatics are running the Asylum!!!!

The same could be said of those "operating ' in the Legal System '

Review that Judge :D
BriH

Post by BriH »

josie andrews wrote:Former Super League Match Official Steve Ganson has been appointed the RFL's new Head of Match Officials.

Ganson has spent the last three years as Match Officials Coach and Technical Director, helping oversee the introduction of two new full-time Match Officials and increasing the number of referees in the Community Game, while assisting a number of revolutionary rule changes in the sport.

The 46-year-old made his senior debut as a Match Official when he took charge of a match between Barrow and Carlisle on August 27, 1995 and refereed his first Super League match the following August as Castleford Tigers took on Paris St Germain.

He also officiated in the 2008 World Cup and in a number of major domestic finals, before retiring in April 2013 as the sport's most experienced official at club and international level.

Commenting on his appointment, Ganson said: "I’m really pleased to have been appointed the RFL’s new Head of Match Officials.

"I have been involved with refereeing at the highest level for 20 years and taken charge of games on the biggest world stages. I understand refereeing and the increasing demands placed on our referees.

"It’s a critical area in the sport.

"There are changes we will introduce in the way we prepare, coach, assess and appoint our referees," he continued.

"Our coaching structure has been reviewed to assist in developing our referees and I want to accelerate the development of Championship and reserve grade referees so we have a stronger talent pool to select from at the highest levels.

"I fully intend to give the referees the support and the framework they need. It’s the small margins at elite level that make a real difference."

The RFL's Chief Operating Officer, Ralph Rimmer, added: "Following an open and extensive recruitment process, which attracted an international field of applicants, we are delighted to announce that Steve Ganson has been confirmed as the new Head of Match Officials.

"This is in addition to recent announcements of increased levels of investment into the Match Officials structure, which has enabled the expansion of the number of full-time match officials from seven to nine, greater levels of off-field coaching and assessment, plus the introduction of increased Sports Science.

"A great deal of work over recent months has also gone into the Match Officials Pathway within the development pyramid and, following that work, Super League Match Official Ben Thaler will be heading up a focused recruitment campaign which is now being rolled out by the team.

"The appointment of the Head of Match Officials is an important milestone within the significant journey that the Match Officials structure has recently undergone. As would be expected, the position attracted interest from all over the globe.

"The process was thorough and Steve's appointment is well deserved.

"He brings outstanding skills and huge experience to the role but, more than that, it was his ideas and enthusiasm that shone out and eventually secured the position at this very exciting time."

http://www.therfl.co.uk/news/article/33 ... s-rfls-new
Can't have been that many then! Jobs for the Boys.
Owd Codger

Post by Owd Codger »

Surely it is far better to have a former match official like Ganson in charge of match officials than a former average player like Sharp?

A step in the right direction in my opinion.
cpwigan

Post by cpwigan »

I agree / disagree WW. Not sure Sharp was actually in charge; wasn't he meant to provide a players/coaches understanding to officiating. However, why not Ganson? He was effectively doing the job already good/bad. Talk about a recruitment campaign is good.

The ? is this cost cutting? Previously Sharp/Ganson now just Ganson?
Mike
Site Admin

Post by Mike »

I wonder if they advertised this role. Or just allocated it as usual.
⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
Owd Codger

Post by Owd Codger »

All very well making adverse and sarcastic comments about the appointment, but if not a former Referee in Ganson, then who?
SJ

Post by SJ »

Whelley Warrior wrote:Surely it is far better to have a former match official like Ganson in charge of match officials than a former average player like Sharp?

A step in the right direction in my opinion.
I Agee with WW. I just wouldn't make a reference to a particular player. Or ex-players
cpwigan

Post by cpwigan »

Whelley Warrior wrote:All very well making adverse and sarcastic comments about the appointment, but if not a former Referee in Ganson, then who?
If a single appointment why not he already does the job. Other than that; another ex referee.

Originally the idea has been to 'marry' technical expertise (a referee) with a playing expertise (coach / player). I think it has happened in the NRL too.

AGAIN the key question is ?

If the RFL went for the combined idea before; why not again? Did it not work? (RFL seemed happy with it, only the departure of Sharp seemed to force action) OR is it financial to cut costs?

Ganson was already doing the job, I see little problem to be fair.