Pre-season publicity

Got something to discuss about RL in general? Then this is the place to post it.
SJ

Re: Pre-season publicity

Post by SJ »

AncientWarrior wrote:
SJ wrote:So what do you propose seeing we've been trying for the last 100 Years. Look forward to your remedy,suggestion,ideas etc
My first priority would be to recruit the best press / publicity / marketing professionals. Who can forget the positive and effective influence of Sally Bolton at the last World Cup? Incidentally, she has progressed to bigger things since then. See the article at:
http://www.insidethegames.biz/articles/ ... mpionships

Secondly, I feel each club should have an ongoing responsibility to promote themselves. In Wigan's the case, we had Kris Radlinski's Blog. What an insight did that provide for all fans putting a face and personality to players and staff. This would IMO provide an effective link with the club and press. In other words, we shouldn't be afraid of any publicity.

These off the top of my head. Perhaps others may have more (and the more the merrier) ideas?

Yes I agree unreservedly with your remarks. I hope that individual teams are doing what you say. However one of RL's problems has been highlighted in your post. The young lady you refer to was recruited and gone on to higher things. This illustrates our ability to recruit quality but the inability to retain it. Threw no fault of the RFL. We see this in players moving to Union for greater remuneration etc Union seemingly more likely to attract potential coaches again for similar reasons. For me it seems like an unsolvable conundrum

I watched a TV interview by Sky News where ST was asked a question which left him scope to criisize Unnion which he didn't do. Why? Because he may be offered a deal to convert which he couldn't refuse.

Who could blame him.

All in all I don't believe the RFL are entirely to blame. The press are firmly in the pocket of Union depriving the RFL of any clout. Depressing I know but it's always been that way and will not change in my lifetime mores the pity
AncientWarrior

Post by AncientWarrior »

SJ wrote:
AncientWarrior wrote:
SJ wrote:So what do you propose seeing we've been trying for the last 100 Years. Look forward to your remedy,suggestion,ideas etc
My first priority would be to recruit the best press / publicity / marketing professionals. Who can forget the positive and effective influence of Sally Bolton at the last World Cup? Incidentally, she has progressed to bigger things since then. See the article at:
http://www.insidethegames.biz/articles/ ... mpionships

Secondly, I feel each club should have an ongoing responsibility to promote themselves. In Wigan's the case, we had Kris Radlinski's Blog. What an insight did that provide for all fans putting a face and personality to players and staff. This would IMO provide an effective link with the club and press. In other words, we shouldn't be afraid of any publicity.

These off the top of my head. Perhaps others may have more (and the more the merrier) ideas?

Yes I agree unreservedly with your remarks. I hope that individual teams are doing what you say. However one of RL's problems has been highlighted in your post. The young lady you refer to was recruited and gone on to higher things. This illustrates our ability to recruit quality but the inability to retain it. Threw no fault of the RFL. We see this in players moving to Union for greater remuneration etc Union seemingly more likely to attract potential coaches again for similar reasons. For me it seems like an unsolvable conundrum

I watched a TV interview by Sky News where ST was asked a question which left him scope to criisize Unnion which he didn't do. Why? Because he may be offered a deal to convert which he couldn't refuse.

Who could blame him.

All in all I don't believe the RFL are entirely to blame. The press are firmly in the pocket of Union depriving the RFL of any clout. Depressing I know but it's always been that way and will not change in my lifetime mores the pity
Yes. Fully agree with you. I didn't say it was easy. In fact, I believe there to be a positive agenda against Rugby League within the media. That said, I am angry that the sport "lies down and plays dead" in the face of all the opposition. I have been informed from a person I trust that Sky Sports pays more money to Darts than to RL.

If we allow ourselves to be subordinate to Darts, Netball, indoor international bowls etc., the game will decline even further.

We are in desperate need of the hearts and minds of sports lovers and the only way is much more publicity. Thanks for reading.
A word of encouragement during a failure is worth more than an hour of praise after success.

Panchitta Marra

Post by Panchitta Marra »

Whelley Warrior wrote:You can have the best publicity department in the sporting world, but if the national media and Sky television are more interested in the team games of Cricket especially with its one day 'big bash' games, Union with its European Competitions/International scene and especially Football with its all star big money Premiership and Eurpean/World competitions, What chance has Rugby League got when it is now not even attracting the star players at their peak from both down under and Union like it use to do?

We are now regared as a minority sport in the eyes of the sporting media and time that some supporters faced the fact.
So let's just sit there and accept our fate like lambs to the slaughter.
Wouldn't be on my watch.
Nezza Faz

Post by Nezza Faz »

Ok, let's just begin with the easy route to getting more publicity. It can't be impossible to get the clubs, selected players, coaches and the owners to go on to the local radio stations to help build up and promote the new season for the game in general and their club in particular. Programmes offering previews, discussion, forums are just a starting point - our stake holders should be more proactive in marketing ideas, after all it can only benefit themselves, their clubs and the game ??
Owd Codger

Post by Owd Codger »

SJ wrote:I hear what you say and would agree but as WW says and I was implying the RFL are in an impossible position. The very fact that RU flopped and we didn't ensures our inability to promote our game because of Unions vested interests in the very agencies we need to facilitate promotion of RL. If you get my drift WW is spot on
Glad to see that there are others who understand the present situation in regard to our game where the national media is concerned.

What chance have we got when the 'old school tie' who played Union at school are involved and in some cases running the national media of newspapers and television?

Panchitta Marra

Whelley Warrior wrote:
SJ wrote:I hear what you say and would agree but as WW says and I was implying the RFL are in an impossible position. The very fact that RU flopped and we didn't ensures our inability to promote our game because of Unions vested interests in the very agencies we need to facilitate promotion of RL. If you get my drift WW is spot on
Glad to see that there are others who understand the present situation in regard to our game where the national media is concerned.

What chance have we got when the 'old school tie' who played Union at school are involved and in some cases running the national media of newspapers and television?
It's good understanding what your saying, but to sit there and do nothing is almost criminal. And basically that's what the RFL are doing, nothing.
Superleague netball are doing more advertising for their sport than Superleague rugby league.
Players like Stewart, Taylor, Sika Manu and Pritchard coming to SL with the return of Pat Richards and Sam Tomkins yet little mention of it never mind having the balls to put together some simple clips to show exactly what's coming to SL.
Are you happy with what the RFL are doing in promoting their sport.

SJ

Post by SJ »

I share and feel your frustrations We should never. Become complacent about promoting our sport particularly the RFL. I can't speak on their behalf but I think I understand their position has I have already referred to. You may be right and if so I would be more than disappointed.
From a media commercial aspect the players you name including the Wigan legend Pat Richards are relatively unheard of outside the M62 corridor and so no newspaper selling power.
On one of my many Italian trips I got in to conversation with a chap from Melbourne Australia a keen Aussie Rules fan who had no idea that RL was played Internationally and further had never heard of his local team M Storm. this was at a time when they were riding high in the NRL. so I've tried to give this topic a wider perspective and place your comments and our shared frustrations in this context.

I'm not happy about it neither is Whelley Warrior and hopefully the RFL defeatist but Realists. Unsatisfactory comment I know but that's the way it is.
eccywarrior

Post by eccywarrior »

Whats been letting us down is our identity these days with being called superleague instead of rugby league.
IN WANE WE TRUST
Owd Codger

Post by Owd Codger »

SJ wrote:I share and feel your frustrations We should never. Become complacent about promoting our sport particularly the RFL. I can't speak on their behalf but I think I understand their position has I have already referred to. You may be right and if so I would be more than disappointed.
From a media commercial aspect the players you name including the Wigan legend Pat Richards are relatively unheard of outside the M62 corridor and so no newspaper selling power.
On one of my many Italian trips I got in to conversation with a chap from Melbourne Australia a keen Aussie Rules fan who had no idea that RL was played Internationally and further had never heard of his local team M Storm. this was at a time when they were riding high in the NRL. so I've tried to give this topic a wider perspective and place your comments and our shared frustrations in this context.

I'm not happy about it neither is Whelley Warrior and hopefully the RFL defeatist but Realists. Unsatisfactory comment I know but that's the way it is.
Correct SJ, I am not happy about the lack of publicity for our game, but at the same time, I realise that it must be hard for the powers that be to get the national media interested in our game when unlike the times before Union going fully professional, there are no longer as many outstanding well known Star players at their peak in our game from Union and down under due to their now being far less money in our game compared Union and the NRL.

And the situation is not helped by Sky Sports News when in the week of the start of our season, they spent a whole day yesterday on transfers in the overpaid and over rated game of football, most of which involved players who are hardly known, even to many of those who watch the game.

It is so easy for some to criticise others, but a darn sight harder to do anything about it when you have a media now dominated by the people who consider any thing to do with the north is not worth bothering about unless of course it is about the big clubs in football.
Panchitta Marra

Interesting comment on BBC TV this morning that Eddie Jones spends more time with HIS media contacts than his wife.

What do the RFL do in comparison?