Super league Dream Team

Got something to discuss about RL in general? Then this is the place to post it.
cow yeds

Super league Dream Team

Post by cow yeds »

Owd Codger

Re: Super league Dream Team

Post by Owd Codger »

Was it based on a selection of players by the League Express or was it a free vote on any player during the period of Super League?
medlocke

Post by medlocke »

Jealousy/Hatred for Wigan is still alive and well 20 years on, The Slug over Rads is a Joke and no Pat Richards
cow yeds

Post by cow yeds »

Whelley Warrior wrote:Was it based on a selection of players by the League Express or was it a free vote on any player during the period of Super League?
It's just a readers of the League Express poll.
menpond

Post by menpond »

Shows what a poor 20 years we have had,as well as the usual tinge of anti Wigan bias.At least Wane has stopped his previous pre seasons bluster. He improved enormously last year in pacing the season so we were well placed to win in both the big knock out cups,so another improvement this year might get us silverware?. Despite the current poor overall standards,Isuspect such success is beyond Wane,going on some weakness in the squad..We can but hope.
mp
Wigan_forever1985

Post by Wigan_forever1985 »

To be fair its an impossible one to call this as the players of 20 years ago played a completely different game.

I expect PW was chosen over rads due to his longevity after rads retirement meaning he is more in the mind of people. It looks like more of a "legends" selection and it depends on how you are judging this but i wouldnt say in context its that far out.

1 Paul Wellens (id of had rads but understand this)
2 Ryan Hall (id of had richards over hall)
3 Jamie Lyon (by far the best centre to have played SL)
4 Keith Senior (id of had Hape)
5 Lesley Vainikolo (cant grumble)
6 Tommy Martyn (a few to chose from but worthy)
7 Sean Long (probably correct - Lam had he been around longer)
8 Jamie Peacock (bang on)
9 Keiron Cunningham (probably correct)
10 James Graham (again bang on)
11 Andy Farrell (would of had him at 13)
12 Gareth Ellis (classy player)
13 Paul Sculthorpe (would of had him at 11)
Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure
medlocke

Post by medlocke »

I'm shocked it wasn't a full team made up off Sir King Kev
Owd Codger

Post by Owd Codger »

cow yeds wrote:
Whelley Warrior wrote:Was it based on a selection of players by the League Express or was it a free vote on any player during the period of Super League?
By free vote, I meant readers could select any player of the Super League era or was it from a list of players published by League Express.
cow yeds

Post by cow yeds »

Whelley Warrior wrote:
cow yeds wrote:
By free vote, I meant readers could select any player of the Super League era or was it from a list of players published by League Express.
It was a list of 108 players published by the LE.
Owd Codger

Post by Owd Codger »

cow yeds wrote:
Whelley Warrior wrote:
cow yeds wrote: It's just a readers of the League Express poll.
It was a list of 108 players published by the LE.
Thank you cow yed, but as far as I am concerned the poll only shows that either many Wigan supporters did not bother to vote or there is a bigger number of supporters like myself who have stopped buying the Yorkshire orientated newspaper. I was told yesterday that there is a poll in this weeks edition on who should be the Coach, three of Leeds if you include Tony Smith, but no nominated Coach from Wigan, not even McGuire.

Is it true?