Goal kicker

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
josie andrews

Re: Goal kicker

Post by josie andrews »

WiganWoman1968 wrote:
josie andrews wrote:Pat Richards will hammer us IMO
I agree Josie. He will make the difference.

Especially seeing as he is having the pie experience round at Shaun's house! :D
Yeah, Pat, Kim & the kids have been staying at Lockers house since Wednesday :)
Anyone can support a team when it is winning, that takes no courage.
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
that takes a lot of courage. #18thMan
Owd Codger

Post by Owd Codger »

DaveO wrote:
cpwigan wrote:
....IIRC only really started place kicking when he came to Wigan in order to get in the team.
Yes he did. It also shows a coach will compromise to have a good kicker in his side. Frano had no chance getting into the side as a half back when he arrived here but his goal kicking got him a spot on the wing.
As I recall, it was reported that Botica was signed by the club against the wishes of the then Coach John Monie who wanted to sign a different player.
WiganWoman1968

Post by WiganWoman1968 »

josie andrews wrote:
WiganWoman1968 wrote:
josie andrews wrote:Pat Richards will hammer us IMO
I agree Josie. He will make the difference.

Oh I thought they were at SW's house. Mixing my Shaun and Sean!
josie andrews

Post by josie andrews »

WiganWoman1968 wrote:
josie andrews wrote:
WiganWoman1968 wrote: I agree Josie. He will make the difference.

Oh I thought they were at SW's house. Mixing my Shaun and Sean!
No they were all staying at Lockers he was telling me about it last week :)
Anyone can support a team when it is winning, that takes no courage.
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
that takes a lot of courage. #18thMan
butt monkey

Post by butt monkey »

Whelley Warrior wrote:
DaveO wrote:
cpwigan wrote:
....IIRC only really started place kicking when he came to Wigan in order to get in the team.
Yes he did. It also shows a coach will compromise to have a good kicker in his side. Frano had no chance getting into the side as a half back when he arrived here but his goal kicking got him a spot on the wing.
As I recall, it was reported that Botica was signed by the club against the wishes of the then Coach John Monie who wanted to sign a different player.
Phil Blake
[img]http://www.webdeveloper.com/animations/ ... monkey.gif[/img]

The biggest Room is the Room for improvement.

The best form of defence is attack!!

Out of the black and into the red, remember you don't get anything for two in a bed!!
butt monkey

Post by butt monkey »

Whilst the apparent decision to persist with Smith seems odd after he lost the goal kicking job at the end of last season, I do think he must have been practising plenty during the off season and maybe the club have (crossed fingers) used outside input to help improve his %

Weather is always a contributory factor, still if Smith's kicking has not improved then question must be asked why not.

An interesting thought is, who would replace him if he was out of the side for any reason?
[img]http://www.webdeveloper.com/animations/ ... monkey.gif[/img]

The biggest Room is the Room for improvement.

The best form of defence is attack!!

Out of the black and into the red, remember you don't get anything for two in a bed!!
cpwigan

Post by cpwigan »

butt monkey wrote:
Whelley Warrior wrote:
DaveO wrote: Yes he did. It also shows a coach will compromise to have a good kicker in his side. Frano had no chance getting into the side as a half back when he arrived here but his goal kicking got him a spot on the wing.
Phil Blake
Indeed albeit I think Monie later praised Frano. Mind you Blake was a special player too. IIRC, he (Blake) coaches rugby union now.
WiganWarrior

Post by WiganWarrior »

Gidley showing experience in kicking tonight, poor kicking tonight I think has cost Leeds the game tonight.

I feel that Wane didn't have a position he wanted to improve on, so signing a goal kicker would have resulted in a player coming in and getting in the side just for kicking
Wigan til i Die !!!!

"Its like a game of union the ball disappears for 3-4 tackles then appears to be kicked" BBC GMR
cpwigan

Post by cpwigan »

However, are you better with a poorer player who kicks than a better player who cannot kick. Decisions, decision, who would be a coach! Lacking a kicker like Sinfield certainly cost Leeds tonight.
Mike
Site Admin

Post by Mike »

cherry.pie wrote:Lenegan mentioned on BBC Radio Manchester than Johnny Wilkinson was brought in to teach a 'masterclass to our '3' kickers, who presumably are Smith, Williams and Charnley.

It at least shows the club are trying to address the issue, and Wilkinson is certainly one of the greatest goalkickers in any form of rugby.

It's worth bearing in mind that Leeds are going into this season with two goalkickers, Hardaker and Sutcliffe, who were kicking at around 60% in Super League last season. They haven't gone out and deliberately signed a top goalkicker to replace Sinfield and that's most likely for the same reasons Wigan haven't signed a goalkicker.
Yeah, and its already cost them a point in the league.
⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐