DW pitch

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
Wiganer Ted

Re: DW pitch

Post by Wiganer Ted »

That pitch is an utter disgrace.
Before long we'll be back 40 years when teams had to change shirts at half time due to them being mud soaked.

Agree that long term it will have to be changed to artifical.
the pieman

Post by the pieman »

Wiganer Ted wrote:That pitch is an utter disgrace.
Before long we'll be back 40 years when teams had to change shirts at half time due to them being mud soaked.

Agree that long term it will have to be changed to artifical.
Ted think you'll find that apart from TT the whole team did that last night

All we need now is the heavy cotton shirts to really take us back :)
Owd Codger

Post by Owd Codger »

As the weather in February every season tends to be more bad than good, surely it would make sense for the 'official' season to start a month later on the first weekend of March and end on the last weekend of October.

That would be a step in the right direction, especially when we are now supposed to be a 'Summer' sport.

Why do we also persist in starting in Frebuary when all the rugby attention in the sporting media is to do with the Union Six Nations?

josie andrews

Post by josie andrews »

As others I agree entirely with you.

Was going to post that all the players deserved medals for playing on that turnip patch

One other possible idea re the pitch.

Instead of an artificial pitch, how about raising it enough for a proper draining system underneath the surface? Could mean both teams having to play games from the DW but what we currently have is not acceptable.

IL must accept that he risks players welfare and future support with the current situation, re playing our home games early on a shit hole and then 2 months on the road for resurfacing just for the football to ruin it again for the following season. No team should accept playing on that
I was thinking about that as well, would it lead to the same type as is at Old Trafford with the pitch having a 'moat' round it?
Anyone can support a team when it is winning, that takes no courage.
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
that takes a lot of courage. #18thMan
Fujiman

Post by Fujiman »

Arsenals ground has large fans under the pitch that sucks the water from the surface
thegimble

Post by thegimble »

Fujiman wrote:Arsenals ground has large fans under the pitch that sucks the water from the surface
Yeah but they have bigger pies than us.

I will get my coat. :D
WiganWoman1968

Post by WiganWoman1968 »

Well, we've got large fans in Wigan too :D

Tuigamala

Post by Tuigamala »

Yes to show that pitch live on TV was a tad embarrassing for our town if you ask me. Im not sure how we fix it though because it drains into the dougie and the dougie has been ridiculously high of late so the water has nowhere to go, still doesn't help the fact that the match was marred by this as Catalan's error count was a cricket score. Cant really take anything from that game apart from the 2 points.
"If there is no blood on the line, it is not rugby league"
(Russell Crowe)

BriH

Post by BriH »

WiganWoman1968 wrote:Maybe if we all signed a petition / wrote a letter to IL he may get the message that we are not happy at always coming second :( and especially as regards the pitch and facilities. If he is always trying to entice the Down South business then I bet they won't be too happy with the shabby Northern set up :(
Well said 'Wigan Woman'!
IL shouldn't have to be told what a crap pitch it is. He can see it with his own eyes surely? Great Stadium in the wrong place: flood plain and high water table.
Solution? I haven't a clue, apart from having our own custom built stadium and I don't think IL would see that as a viable commercial option.
thegimble

Post by thegimble »

BriH wrote:
WiganWoman1968 wrote:Maybe if we all signed a petition / wrote a letter to IL he may get the message that we are not happy at always coming second :( and especially as regards the pitch and facilities. If he is always trying to entice the Down South business then I bet they won't be too happy with the shabby Northern set up :(
Well said 'Wigan Woman'!
IL shouldn't have to be told what a crap pitch it is. He can see it with his own eyes surely? Great Stadium in the wrong place: flood plain and high water table.
Solution? I haven't a clue, apart from having our own custom built stadium and I don't think IL would see that as a viable commercial option.
So if we have no solution to the issue of the pitch then how is writing a letter to IL going to solve the issue and raise the issue.

He knows its in a bad state but there is nothing that can be done. Typical British attitude not happy write a letter.

Solution is simple artificial pitch such as the one Widnes has. Writing a letter if it makes you feel better than write it. But your only telling IL and even DW what they already know. Finding a solution is much more important and as for own ground that needs millions which neither the club or IL will have to spend.