DW

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
Owd Codger

Re: DW

Post by Owd Codger »

I think you find that there is mor or less a equal number of posters etc of both clubs around the Stadium.

My only complaint was the posters in the town centre which had Emerson Boyce in front of Shaun O'Loughlin.

I ask you, a hardly known mercenary footballer rather than a local lad of International class playing for his home town club in a game wigan is renowned for all over the world.

But, thats the Council for you where Uncle Dave is involved.
SJ

Post by SJ »

Whelley Warrior wrote:I think you find that there is mor or less a equal number of posters etc of both clubs around the Stadium.

My only complaint was the posters in the town centre which had Emerson Boyce in front of Shaun O'Loughlin.

I ask you, a hardly known mercenary footballer rather than a local lad of International class playing for his home town club in a game wigan is renowned for all over the world.

But, thats the Council for you where Uncle Dave is involved.
Is Whelan really anti Warriors?

Considering the Bribane game is of International status and importance is it feasible at this late stage to change the venue?
Is it feasible for us to move from the DW permanently? Or will we go down with the ship when Latics descend to the lower regions of the Football League which I Presume they will inevitably will?
cpwigan

Post by cpwigan »

We will never move from the DW. As it stands we will always be playing early season fixture on a bog.
SJ

Post by SJ »

Do you mean we'll never leave irrespective of feasibility CP.
cpwigan

Post by cpwigan »

SJ wrote:Do you mean we'll never leave irrespective of feasibility CP.
IL has no intention of leaving, he has stated that several times IIRC. To be honest if they can sort the pitch out then I see little reason to move. Interesting post on RLfans where a turf expert said far better than I can that the set up / drainage beneath the turf is wrong which means as I said the pitch is an expensive folly. I am dreading Brisbane as a spectacle because it will be no different to Cats. The pitch needs several months to get it right, otherwise we do as we always have, crap pitch, stay off it, relay new turf YEAR after YEAR.

Not sure where you could put a ground in Wigan anyhow. The building developers have all the prime sites. Ashfield, Standish?
Owd Codger

Post by Owd Codger »

cpwigan wrote:
SJ wrote:Do you mean we'll never leave irrespective of feasibility CP.
IL has no intention of leaving, he has stated that several times IIRC. To be honest if they can sort the pitch out then I see little reason to move. Interesting post on RLfans where a turf expert said far better than I can that the set up / drainage beneath the turf is wrong which means as I said the pitch is an expensive folly. I am dreading Brisbane as a spectacle because it will be no different to Cats. The pitch needs several months to get it right, otherwise we do as we always have, crap pitch, stay off it, relay new turf YEAR after YEAR.

Not sure where you could put a ground in Wigan anyhow. The building developers have all the prime sites. Ashfield, Standish?
IL has no intention of leaving the DW Stadium simply because there is no alternative Stadium with the capacity for most of our crowds within the borough boundry. It there was and in view of the continual bad state of the pitch at the DW Stadium, I am sure that he would have a rethink, especially when he has moved the HQ of the club to Central Park because of poor office conditions at the DW Stadium.

As for saying there are no sites is wrong as there are a number of site around Wigan, many desinated industrial and they are not all in Standish and there are no plans to build houses on Ashfield Park, which anyway is not big enough for a Stadium.

josie andrews

Post by josie andrews »

Whelley Warrior wrote: IL has no intention of leaving the DW Stadium simply because there is no alternative Stadium with the capacity for most of our crowds within the borough boundry. It there was and in view of the continual bad state of the pitch at the DW Stadium, I am sure that he would have a rethink, especially when he has moved the HQ of the club to Central Park because of poor office conditions at the DW Stadium.

As for saying there are no sites is wrong as there are a number of site around Wigan, many desinated industrial and they are not all in Standish and there are no plans to build houses on Ashfield Park, which anyway is not big enough for a Stadium.
How do you know that the office conditions at the DW were "poor"??
Anyone can support a team when it is winning, that takes no courage.
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
that takes a lot of courage. #18thMan
Owd Codger

Post by Owd Codger »

Do you mean to say that you don't know?
Mike
Site Admin

Post by Mike »

Whelley Warrior wrote:Do you mean to say that you don't know?
Wow. What an answer. :D
⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
🏆🏆🏆🏆
josie andrews

Post by josie andrews »

Whelley Warrior wrote:Do you mean to say that you don't know?
No, I do not know. I'm not like an old fishwife poking my nose in then tittle tattling about every little thing that goes on at Wigan Warriors!

I have a great deal to tend to at home & with my family to be looking into every minor happening down at the DW Stadium.

Thank you very much!

And, as far as I'm aware, it was always on the cards, and made more sense, for the Wigan Warriors office staff and everything to do with the Warriors to move to Central Park.

What was the point of having all those buildings & rooms if they weren't going to be utilised?
Anyone can support a team when it is winning, that takes no courage.
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
that takes a lot of courage. #18thMan