DW pitch

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
cpwigan

Re: DW pitch

Post by cpwigan »

Makes me smile. No mention of Wigan RLFC rightly demanding big improvements before Brisbane. Truth be told if IL and co had not demanded drastic improvements it would not have happened.
markill

Post by markill »

This way the Latics fans can say it only became a problem after the rugby side played on it.
in the world of mules, there are no rules

LATEST PODCAST EPISODE
https://www.spreaker.com/user/superleaguepod
DaveO

Post by DaveO »

Well it's too late to change the fixtures this season even if they don't re-lay it again in the spring/summer.

I hope they use the time to address the problem once and for all.

There was a post on rlfans quoting some latics fan who works for a civil engineering company that builds stadia. The upshot was the drainage outlets have been set too low. So as soon as there is heavy rain the water rises to higher than the outlets so the pitch can't drain.

If that is true and this is known to be the problem they really need to bite the bullet and sort it out.

I suppose it could potentially mean playing a season away from the DW if the scale of the work involved was so great but dealing with the annual mud bath has got to cost more in the long run.

ian.birchall

Post by ian.birchall »

Fujiman wrote:Arsenals ground has large fans under the pitch that sucks the water from the surface
And 60000 paying an average £70 a ticket which gives them a 'bit' more money to come up with these fancy solutions.
And don't get me started on the millions they get from TV
Regarder une fille en bikini, c'est comme avoir un revolver chargé sur sa table:
Il n'y a rien de mal a ça mais il est difficile de penser à autre chose.

Now Europe is just for holidays.
cow yeds

Post by cow yeds »

'Further significant work is planned at the end of the football season to improve the playing surface for next season.'
So were does that leave/affect us after May 8th.?
josie andrews

Post by josie andrews »

We are away from home from May 21st Magic weekend up to July 2nd v Catalan inclusive.

Our first home game after the 'break' is v Wakefield Wildcats Friday July 8th.
Anyone can support a team when it is winning, that takes no courage.
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
that takes a lot of courage. #18thMan
thegimble

Post by thegimble »

WiganWoman1968 wrote:
thegimble wrote:
BriH wrote: Well said 'Wigan Woman'!
IL shouldn't have to be told what a crap pitch it is. He can see it with his own eyes surely? Great Stadium in the wrong place: flood plain and high water table.
Solution? I haven't a clue, apart from having our own custom built stadium and I don't think IL would see that as a viable commercial option.
So if we have no solution to the issue of the pitch then how is writing a letter to IL going to solve the issue and raise the issue.

He knows its in a bad state but there is nothing that can be done. Typical British attitude not happy write a letter.

Solution is simple artificial pitch such as the one Widnes has. Writing a letter if it makes you feel better than write it. But your only telling IL and even DW what they already know. Finding a solution is much more important and as for own ground that needs millions which neither the club or IL will have to spend.
No. Of course he shouldn't have to be told that it's a crap pitch. That's obvious. But if people just sit on their bottoms posting on a forum and paying their money every week then nothing is going to change. Carry on doing that if it makes you feel better.

He needs to really know what people think. He may not even care. But I was suggesting that all the Down South interest which he is keen to drum up to bring in more money may have something to say about it.

And he may not come up with your solution of an artificial pitch all by himself.
Then instead of posting it here tell him yourself.
WiganWoman1968

Post by WiganWoman1968 »

thegimble wrote:
WiganWoman1968 wrote:
thegimble wrote: So if we have no solution to the issue of the pitch then how is writing a letter to IL going to solve the issue and raise the issue.

He knows its in a bad state but there is nothing that can be done. Typical British attitude not happy write a letter.

Solution is simple artificial pitch such as the one Widnes has. Writing a letter if it makes you feel better than write it. But your only telling IL and even DW what they already know. Finding a solution is much more important and as for own ground that needs millions which neither the club or IL will have to spend.
No. Of course he shouldn't have to be told that it's a crap pitch. That's obvious. But if people just sit on their bottoms posting on a forum and paying their money every week then nothing is going to change. Carry on doing that if it makes you feel better.

He needs to really know what people think. He may not even care. But I was suggesting that all the Down South interest which he is keen to drum up to bring in more money may have something to say about it.

And he may not come up with your solution of an artificial pitch all by himself.
Good idea!
thegimble

Post by thegimble »

WiganWoman1968 wrote:
thegimble wrote:
WiganWoman1968 wrote: No. Of course he shouldn't have to be told that it's a crap pitch. That's obvious. But if people just sit on their bottoms posting on a forum and paying their money every week then nothing is going to change. Carry on doing that if it makes you feel better.

Good idea!
Also tell him I actually agree its a crap pitch.
cpwigan

Post by cpwigan »

Weird

For the record I did so and said persons agreed and that was before the pitch was dug up and relayed.