DW pitch

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
Fujiman

Re: DW pitch

Post by Fujiman »

Someone in the pub last night said IL had chucked in £120K towards the cost. Not seen anything about it myself. Any one else heard similar?
sheepsteeth

Post by sheepsteeth »

Unless something has changed without my knowledge the Football League don't let teams play on artificial pitches so it's a non starter.

I have no knowledge of the mechanics of engineering or laying putches but it seems obvious to me the drainage is inadequate. Bite the bullet and fix the drainage system.

Failing that spend the money and get the best groundsman in the business.
markill

Post by markill »

Would the solution be agreement by both clubs/tenants (and with the acceptance from their fans) that they'll both lose half a season of home games whilst the place is ripped up properly and redone for good - i.e. not just a pitch relaying??

We'd go play at Leigh and have a couple of on the road games and maybe try to get RFL support to put our big home games on when we can have use of the ground (i.e. Leeds, Saints, Wire). Latics can go and play at Bolton or wherever will have them.
in the world of mules, there are no rules

LATEST PODCAST EPISODE
https://www.spreaker.com/user/superleaguepod
Bert's Medal

Post by Bert's Medal »

ian.birchall wrote:
Fujiman wrote:Arsenals ground has large fans under the pitch that sucks the water from the surface
And 60000 paying an average £70 a ticket which gives them a 'bit' more money to come up with these fancy solutions.
And don't get me started on the millions they get from TV
But the DW Stadium should have had a similar system installed to that at the Emirates - have a read at this, for once, unbiased article from Cockney Latic: http://www.cockneylatic.co.uk/index.php ... &Itemid=50

Just to add, that article is from 2011.

butt monkey

Post by butt monkey »

Fujiman wrote:Someone in the pub last night said IL had chucked in £120K towards the cost. Not seen anything about it myself. Any one else heard similar?
That was a wind up from the Latics fans

[img]http://www.webdeveloper.com/animations/ ... monkey.gif[/img]

The biggest Room is the Room for improvement.

The best form of defence is attack!!

Out of the black and into the red, remember you don't get anything for two in a bed!!
Fujiman

Post by Fujiman »

butt monkey wrote:
Fujiman wrote:Someone in the pub last night said IL had chucked in £120K towards the cost. Not seen anything about it myself. Any one else heard similar?
That was a wind up from the Latics fans

Cheers BM. Made me smile though :lol:
Maverickpils

Post by Maverickpils »

Does anyone know the state of the pitch following the Latic's game at the weekend?
butt monkey

Post by butt monkey »

Maverickpils wrote:Does anyone know the state of the pitch following the Latic's game at the weekend?
From what I have been told, not that good.

Was not a full relay so still bare patches around the pitch and it cuts up pretty easily too (not had enough time to bed in).
[img]http://www.webdeveloper.com/animations/ ... monkey.gif[/img]

The biggest Room is the Room for improvement.

The best form of defence is attack!!

Out of the black and into the red, remember you don't get anything for two in a bed!!
OJ

Post by OJ »

If the weather in Wigan is anything like it is here i.e. raining since about 6 pm last night, the poor groundsman must be in need of therapy by now.

Does anyone know if they've managed to cover the pitch with anything?

I can just picture it now - game on Sky being shown worldwide as various strips of turf float along in front of the cameras or become dis-lodged and trip up the players and the ref
Never argue with an idiot. He will bring you down to his level and beat you with experience.

Mike
Site Admin

Post by Mike »

I imagine the pitch relay could actually make the situtation worse for rugby, at least if it isn't actually raining on the day. I relay that hasn't had time to bed in often cuts up very badly. If its doign that for footabll, imagine what it will be like when you are digging yoru studs in a being pushed the other way - we could see huge chinks just give way. I hope it works out better than that, but the Brisbane game could be a nightmare.
⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
🏆🏆🏆🏆