Matty smith

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
Southern Softy

Re: Matty smith

Post by Southern Softy »

Bit unkind that. I despair of us ever getting over the line when our sideways passing game is so slow but often we score after a Smith kick to a winger sets up a chance. He also gets 40/20s and very few kickers in SL seem to do that.
nathan_rugby

Post by nathan_rugby »

Southern Softy wrote:Bit unkind that. I despair of us ever getting over the line when our sideways passing game is so slow but often we score after a Smith kick to a winger sets up a chance. He also gets 40/20s and very few kickers in SL seem to do that.
His 40/20 are up there around the top in the league but he isn't creative enough for me.

Far too times we kick the ball on the 2nd or 3rd in the opponents 20, George is guilty too and it just screams out that we are clueless in attack and cannot punch holes in the defence.

I said it when it was announced Burgess was leaving, we are really goign to be affected by his ability to score long range tries, which will also see Liam Farrell not score as many.
Bomhead - "Lockers to prop."
Caboosegg

Post by Caboosegg »

nathan_rugby wrote:Credit for his conversions so far this season but other than that he offers absolutely nothing.

He had one or two good seasons with Green but other than that he really is killing our attack. Supposed to be one of the more experienced and leaders but doesn't offer anything.

No link ups with the forwards, none with the halfback, never takes the line on, no attacking kicks.
have you been watching Wakefield in error? he does everything you have stated he doesn't and killng the attack?

alot of his passes are timed so well he pulls in a extra defender of passes the ball of to the 2nd rower or centre so quickly the defense gets wrong footed.

Smith isn't the quickest, and he isn't a natural goal kicker, but he gives his all every match is responsible for a hell of a lot of the organization.

now im not saying Smith is the Best Half back in the league
far from it, but people make him out to be alot worse than he is.
These are two reasons not to trust people.
1. We don't know them.
2. We do know them.
nathan_rugby

Post by nathan_rugby »

I am really struggling to see what he is offering considering how long he has been at the club and how experienced he is...

Average, nothing more and nothing less.
Bomhead - "Lockers to prop."
Panchitta Marra

Post by Panchitta Marra »

Cherry_Warrior wrote:Yes it is but is that all his fault? Correct me if i am mistaken but for his distribution we wouldn't have got over the line at all on a few occasions in the first 2 games.
This I don't know Cherry, in the Giants game we attacked what I thought was their strongest side with Cudjoe and McGilvery, I did say in a previous post is this because Faz runs on our left flank. To me Foster against Manfredi was a total mismatch so why wasn't play directed more to that flank with John Bateman.
The way we attack with decisions like that is it down to our halves or is it impressed on them by Wane?
georgeorwell

Post by georgeorwell »

I seem to remember that Greeny got similar treatment until he announced he was leaving, then all of a sudden he was bloody marvellous. Smithy is good enough for Waney and good enough for England so he can't be all that bad. Give the guy a break!
Owd Codger

Post by Owd Codger »

georgeorwell wrote:I seem to remember that Greeny got similar treatment until he announced he was leaving, then all of a sudden he was bloody marvellous. Smithy is good enough for Waney and good enough for England so he can't be all that bad. Give the guy a break!
That good, he was restored back into the England team for the third test after two tests of no experience and organisation form the Scrum Half position.

If its not Smith, its Gelling, Powell, Sarginson, Tautai, Joel Tomkins and now Tierney has been put on the list.

Its the same every season!

Panchitta Marra

Post by Panchitta Marra »

georgeorwell wrote:I seem to remember that Greeny got similar treatment until he announced he was leaving, then all of a sudden he was bloody marvellous. Smithy is good enough for Waney and good enough for England so he can't be all that bad. Give the guy a break!
Are our halves performing George, I'm not as convinced as you feel, and all I'm asking, is it down to the halves making the decisions on how they run and distribute the ball, or is it more by ideas impressed on them by Wane and the coaching staff.
Another season like last season, attacking wise and we could well have an empty trophy cabinet again at the end of this season.
cow yeds

Post by cow yeds »

Cost me £110 against Hudds. apart from his goals i wouldn't have known he was playing.
medlocke

Post by medlocke »

Panchitta Marra wrote:
Are our halves performing George, I'm not as convinced as you feel, and all I'm asking, is it down to the halves making the decisions on how they run and distribute the ball, or is it more by ideas impressed on them by Wane and the coaching staff.
Another season like last season, attacking wise and we could well have an empty trophy cabinet again at the end of this season.
What would you do to remedy this PM?