Hull Match.

Got a hot rumour from a source inside the club, or just something you heard down the pub? Then what are you waiting for, post it on The Rumour Mill.
exiled

Re: Hull Match.

Post by exiled »

Speculate to accumulate????
cpwigan

Post by cpwigan »

I think so. We can stand still and/or contract and I see no reason why we should. Last night I was watching Union and was so bored I switched over and watched Philomena. IMO we have a better sport but we remain the grateful servant accepting our lot.
keptinthedarkfans

Post by keptinthedarkfans »

cpwigan wrote:I just look at the bigger picture and have a vision for the sport. Never been keen on throwing the towel in at anything. IMO there is not much money in Wigan these days as a town, many do it tough. I do not think we will ever achieve a 20K average based on Wiganers and thus we need to find investment / growth from elsewhere.
You really have surprised me CP. for a well educated man I think your being quite naïve believing London is going to be RL'S saviour. I'm All for selling brand and casting net to promote game beyond m62 corridor but there is more directions than south. you make Wigan sound like the ghettos. Many more do it tougher in London. Bet there is more people living rough in London than Wigan's entire weekly crowd. As for investors down there where have they been when there was a brand the Broncos that they could have snapped up when RFL was pumping everything into them and bending every rule to make them work. I will tell you putting into higher return exposures like football. London like every where else isn't paved with gold believe it or not.
thegimble

Post by thegimble »

keptinthedarkfa​ns​ wrote:
cpwigan wrote:I just look at the bigger picture and have a vision for the sport. Never been keen on throwing the towel in at anything. IMO there is not much money in Wigan these days as a town, many do it tough. I do not think we will ever achieve a 20K average based on Wiganers and thus we need to find investment / growth from elsewhere.
You really have surprised me CP. for a well educated man I think your being quite naïve believing London is going to be RL'S saviour. I'm All for selling brand and casting net to promote game beyond m62 corridor but there is more directions than south. you make Wigan sound like the ghettos. Many more do it tougher in London. Bet there is more people living rough in London than Wigan's entire weekly crowd. As for investors down there where have they been when there was a brand the Broncos that they could have snapped up when RFL was pumping everything into them and bending every rule to make them work. I will tell you putting into higher return exposures like football. London like every where else isn't paved with gold believe it or not.
When do investors ever want to be associated with a losing side. Broncos should be the RL salvation in the South but it failed and no one hardly wanted it. London is not going to save RL. England winning a world cup will. National exposure is the only way.
cpwigan

Post by cpwigan »

Economically, if you want the best chance of securing a decent living then you have far more chance in the South, particularly London than in the North. It has always been that way in my life.

Wigan? Love the place but plenty areas, plenty people in Wigan do it tough. Our town was built on mining and textiles. We still have some processing but even that is under pressure. It remains a great place to live because of its equal distance proximity to Manchester, Liverpool and ability to travel North and South to other neighbouring places. The bottom line our town was built on things that no longer exist.

Somebody tell me/show me how Wigan RLFC can achieve average attendances of 20K + and revenue from solely Wigan? I cannot see it? I think the club are rightly very reluctant to increase prices (does that not say something about our catchment area?)

We are no different to virtually ever other RL town. I would argue Leeds has a stronger economy / wealth than others.

So where do we build our sport, where do we get our investment? It has to be from elsewhere and IMO Wigan have done the right thing looking beyond Wigan and where is the largest pool of cash / potential investment? London.

Sure nobody expects or believes RL will replace, even make a dent on football in the capital BUT it doesn't have to. Even American Football shows you can achieve something in London, in a foreign country.

I see no answers/solutions from anybody else.
keptinthedarkfans

Post by keptinthedarkfans »

thegimble wrote:
When do investors ever want to be associated with a losing side. Broncos should be the RL salvation in the South but it failed and no one hardly wanted it. London is not going to save RL. England winning a world cup will. National exposure is the only way.
Broncos where not a loosing side when they first came to Sl The product was there to be built on and was assisted to the hilt by the RFL but investors did not or where not willing to invest in a sport that is not prime time TV And sorry not even winning a world cup will change that.
Wandering Warrior

Post by Wandering Warrior »

Fulham in the 80s and later London didn't lay the foundation so why should one normal match a season do it?
Do you really think the RFL are that interested? If they are why not take Magic Weekend down there? Perhaps the attendances won't be good enough and they know it? If they did then the Holy Grail of every SL team playing a match a season down there would be achieved?!
Until then the "sheep" will traipse down to London for a match and 1000 may go free! Yippy do!!!
When John Byrom plays on snow, he doesn't leave any footprints - Jimmy Armfield
Wandering Warrior

Post by Wandering Warrior »

thegimble wrote:
keptinthedarkfa​ns​ wrote: You really have surprised me CP. for a well educated man I think your being quite naïve believing London is going to be RL'S saviour. I'm All for selling brand and casting net to promote game beyond m62 corridor but there is more directions than south. you make Wigan sound like the ghettos. Many more do it tougher in London. Bet there is more people living rough in London than Wigan's entire weekly crowd. As for investors down there where have they been when there was a brand the Broncos that they could have snapped up when RFL was pumping everything into them and bending every rule to make them work. I will tell you putting into higher return exposures like football. London like every where else isn't paved with gold believe it or not.
Broncos where not a loosing side when they first came to Sl The product was there to be built on and was assisted to the hilt by the RFL but investors did not or where not willing to invest in a sport that is not prime time TV And sorry not even winning a world cup will change that.
Tell me didn't IL invest in London? Either he's never going to learn or he has other personal agendas? I think it's the latter.
When John Byrom plays on snow, he doesn't leave any footprints - Jimmy Armfield
Owd Codger

Post by Owd Codger »

Ther is no bigger picture in London as 'Blue Chip' companies in the City of London are only interested in major team games like Football,Cricket, Rugby Union and now American Football.

The only reason why IL is so keen of Wigan playing in London is I suspect the demise of London Broncos and as a former owner of that club together with the RFL, want a Super League team presence in the capital and Wigan being the most well known club in the game fit the bill.
cpwigan

Post by cpwigan »

What you are saying WW is that RL will never have major games / huge reasons for big company's to invest. Sorry but I disagree. I think London and other non RL places is 1) attracting new investors 2) Some new fans, on the face of it not enough but from small acorns .... and 3) potentially new junior talent. Existing supporters rightly or wrongly (rightly IMO) are not the key to these on the road fixtures; every investment we get, every adult who wants to watch RL, every junior who wants to play RL are a WIN WIN WIN. IMO there are potential legends who will never even play RL and that is a travesty IMO and if that junior is i the future successful in business they may well decide to invest in Wigan/RL.

Re London - for the doubters lest they forget when it was first mooted to hold the CC at Wembley the same voices poo poo pood it was crazy / stupid. Has that not been a success?