Silverwood Wrong

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
GeoffN

Re: Silverwood Wrong

Post by GeoffN »

willie c posted:
sc states that the straddling rule pretains to a kick in general play and what crabtree did wasnt affected by rule change brought in two year ago
I understand that, my point is that I can't see any rule to say it's a penalty...it doesn't say that it's deemed to be out on the full in the "straddling" situation.

Another point...what about the linesmen and/or reserve ref...why didn't they correct him?
Tom_McCooey

Post by Tom_McCooey »

E-mail from the RFL, got it 5mins ago

Thank you for your email regarding the laws of the game. In answer to your question, the rule is different, yes.

If the ball is kicked from general play, and an opposition player catches the ball straddling the dead ball line, the player has carried the ball dead and therefore a goal line drop out would be awarded.

If the ball is kicked from the kick-off, and an opposition player catches the ball straddling the dead ball line, it is deemed that the ball has been kicked out on the full, and a penalty to the non-kicking team should be awarded.

I hope this rule is now clarified for you, and I apologise for any confusion caused. If you need any further information, please do not hesitate to contact me,

Yours Sincerely,

Julia Lodge
Administration Assistant

Match Officials Development
The Rugby Football League
Wigan 'til I die.
GeoffN

Post by GeoffN »

Nice one, Tom, thanks!
robjoenz

Post by robjoenz »

GeoffN posted:
Fropm the RFL rules, section 8

"6. A player who kicks off or drops-out shall be penalised if he
(b) kicks the ball on the full over the touch line, touch in-goal, or over the dead ball line."

No mention of any player being involved, but in the Notes it says...

"Should a kick be made dead by a defending player
straddling the dead ball line or touch in-goal line, play will restart with a goal line drop-out
."

Not limited to any particular type of kick. I'm interested to see which rule SC is looking at, if he is, in fact saying Silverwood was wrong.
I am eager to see what SC has to say about this one too. I read his comments in League Express this morning but his interpretation as you point out Geoff isn't written into the rule. Therefore, is the rulebook available to download an incomplete version or is SC just interpretting it as he sees it?

Also if you read Section 8, Rule 4...

The game is restarted with a drop-out by a defending player from the centre of the goal line if:
(i) where a kick is made dead by a defending player straddling the dead ball line or touch in goal line.

In the glossary a 'kick' is defined as...
means imparting motion to the ball with any part of the leg (except the heel) from knee to toe inclusive.

Therefore, their own glossary of terms does not differentiate between different types of kicks.
robjoenz

Post by robjoenz »

Interesting point here...

Could you back-heel the ball out of play and be awarded a 20m restart?

:roll:
Tom_McCooey

Post by Tom_McCooey »

robjoenz posted:

You used to be able to cos I saw Jason Robinson do it once at central park, however the rules have changed and doin this now results in the drop-out
Wigan 'til I die.
robjoenz

Post by robjoenz »

Tom_McCooey posted:
robjoenz posted:

You used to be able to cos I saw Jason Robinson do it once at central park, however the rules have changed and doin this now results in the drop-out
Try finding it in the rule-book :doz:
robjoenz

Post by robjoenz »

Geoff, I have just got a reply from Julia Lodge and she said they are thinking about changing the wording in order to make it more clear. She said Richard Silverwood was aware of what the rule actually was and made a mistake. Poor Richard, I'm starting to feel sorry for him.
GeoffN

Post by GeoffN »

robjoenz posted:
Poor Richard, I'm starting to feel sorry for him.
Feeling sorry for referees? Go and lie down in a dark room until you feel better....