Can we win anything without Micky Mac and/or Sam T

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
southportcdm

Can we win anything without Micky Mac and/or Sam T

Post by southportcdm »

Really pleased with the effort last night and the four from four so far this season. Lots of us think we're doing well considering the injury situation but I also feel that there are only two players out that would make a big difference to our starting 13 i.e. Micky and Sam. Joel, Willie and Dom would all strengthen the squad but don't offer much more than the players starting at present. So, with Micky not due back this season and Sam unlikely to reach top form (if at all this season) until late in the day, the question is, can we win anything without both of them? I'd like to think that we could but don't we need to consider:

a) helping out Sam Powell (he can't play 80 mins all season, he made 40+ tackles last night)and what if he gets injured?
b) at fullback we have to try Sarge early in the season (did O.K. last night) in case Lewis gets injured or can't cope on a weekly basis. Lots of us think that Sarge would be a good fullback but he needs lots of experience before the big games come up. There's no point waiting until May only to find out that Sam isn't going to be fit this year.

We have been unlucky with injuries but you can't rely on us not having more as the season progresses. Any thoughts?
josie andrews

Re: Can we win anything without Micky Mac and/or Sam T

Post by josie andrews »

You've missed out the nucleus of the team IMO !
Anyone can support a team when it is winning, that takes no courage.
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
that takes a lot of courage. #18thMan
TrueBlueWarrior

Post by TrueBlueWarrior »

Lockers out as well.....!!
'If you start listening to the fans it won't be long before you're sitting with them.' - Wayne Bennett
DaveO

Post by DaveO »

Really pleased with the effort last night and the four from four so far this season. Lots of us think we're doing well considering the injury situation but I also feel that there are only two players out that would make a big difference to our starting 13 i.e. Micky and Sam. Joel, Willie and Dom would all strengthen the squad but don't offer much more than the players starting at present.
I agree. If we are right then I think we need to look to sign a hooker. Maybe look down under for a player who is older and wants a year or so in the UK. We have to do something because I am not convinced the team can cope without MM all season nor that Sam will be a revelation.
josie andrews

Post by josie andrews »

TrueBlueWarrior wrote:Lockers out as well.....!!
???????? He's the main man!
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
markill

Post by markill »

Of course we can. It makes it harder, but we can win without them. Saints won the league and GF without their main ballplayers in 2014. No matter how you think/feel about how it went down, they still won it with some serious players out - especially in their playoff run. If they could do it, so could we.
in the world of mules, there are no rules

LATEST PODCAST EPISODE
https://www.spreaker.com/user/superleaguepod
josie andrews

Post by josie andrews »

markill wrote:Of course we can. It makes it harder, but we can win without them. Saints won the league and GF without their main ballplayers in 2014. No matter how you think/feel about how it went down, they still won it with some serious players out - especially in their playoff run. If they could do it, so could we.
???????????????????????????? Well said Mark ????
markill

Post by markill »

josie andrews wrote:
markill wrote:Of course we can. It makes it harder, but we can win without them. Saints won the league and GF without their main ballplayers in 2014. No matter how you think/feel about how it went down, they still won it with some serious players out - especially in their playoff run. If they could do it, so could we.
???????????????????????????? Well said Mark ????
I'm feeling all optimistic today Josie. No idea what's come over me. I probably would have responded totally differently yesterday morning.
in the world of mules, there are no rules

LATEST PODCAST EPISODE
https://www.spreaker.com/user/superleaguepod
Wormburner

Post by Wormburner »

Keep the faith
Let's is a contraction of “let us.” You use it to make suggestions about what you and someone else should do. Let's is NOT a promise
Kittwazzer

Post by Kittwazzer »

DaveO wrote:
Really pleased with the effort last night and the four from four so far this season. Lots of us think we're doing well considering the injury situation but I also feel that there are only two players out that would make a big difference to our starting 13 i.e. Micky and Sam. Joel, Willie and Dom would all strengthen the squad but don't offer much more than the players starting at present.
I agree. If we are right then I think we need to look to sign a hooker. Maybe look down under for a player who is older and wants a year or so in the UK. We have to do something because I am not convinced the team can cope without MM all season nor that Sam will be a revelation.
I agree with Dave on this occasion. Sam Powell doing a good job but we need cover at hooker. I believe Josh Ganson is set to be our 'next big thing' but he's at least one season too young.
As for Sam, let's take our blinkers off. How many times in 2013 was he pulled out around 7.30 once all tickets were sold? Decent 2014 for NZW by all accounts and injured most of 2015!

And who is Willie??