The most complete 40 minutes ever ?

Got something to discuss about RL in general? Then this is the place to post it.
cpwigan

The most complete 40 minutes ever ?

Post by cpwigan »

I have seen Wigan v much poorer teams back in the day BUT NEVER have I see such a complete 40 as that by the Rabbitohs v the Roosters. Clinical, largely mistake free, some brilliant line defence, astute penalty concessions to keep a 0 score. Wane can only dream, no Waneball nonsense.
Wiganer Ted

Re: The most complete 40 minutes ever ?

Post by Wiganer Ted »

Come on CPWigan, there's me thinking it was your New Year Resolution not to mention "Waneball".
Mind you if it was you've done well getting into March.
cpwigan

Post by cpwigan »

Wiganer Ted wrote:Come on CPWigan, there's me thinking it was your New Year Resolution not to mention "Waneball".
I try Ted :wink: I have to say that 40 was my idea of RL heaven.
The Eclipse

Post by The Eclipse »

cpwigan wrote:I have seen Wigan v much poorer teams back in the day BUT NEVER have I see such a complete 40 as that by the Rabbitohs v the Roosters. Clinical, largely mistake free, some brilliant line defence, astute penalty concessions to keep a 0 score. Wane can only dream, no Waneball nonsense.
CP I personally think Madge Maquire would've been a much better choice as England coach than Bennett.
Owd Codger

Post by Owd Codger »

cpwigan wrote:
Wiganer Ted wrote:Come on CPWigan, there's me thinking it was your New Year Resolution not to mention "Waneball".
I try Ted :wink: I have to say that 40 was my idea of RL heaven.
What, even better than in the days of Jack Gibson?
nathan_rugby

Post by nathan_rugby »

Haven't seen it but trust your opinion.

When we played Warrington a couple of seasons ago in the play offs and won with Williams at hooker, that for me was a complete game of rugby by Wigan. Best I have seen us play under Wane against good opposition.
Bomhead - "Lockers to prop."
cpwigan

Post by cpwigan »

The Eclipse wrote:
cpwigan wrote:I have seen Wigan v much poorer teams back in the day BUT NEVER have I see such a complete 40 as that by the Rabbitohs v the Roosters. Clinical, largely mistake free, some brilliant line defence, astute penalty concessions to keep a 0 score. Wane can only dream, no Waneball nonsense.
CP I personally think Madge Maquire would've been a much better choice as England coach than Bennett.
Possibly. Do you not think Madge is a 'club' coach though in terms of needing to work with players day out, day in to get his ideas across and into practice. WB has done Rep at Origin. I am not sure how much time he will spend on the job though in terms of looking for the right players beyond what he already knows.

One irk I have is how NRL kids come through much quicker / better than here. Yet, we know the very best England juniors can compete / beat the very best Aus juniors. So somewhere, Aus juniors end up in the fast lane and ours are stuck in the stop start middle line.

WW - The quality of the Roosters is what made the Rabbitohs victory special IMO.

Mike
Site Admin

Post by Mike »

cpwigan wrote:
The Eclipse wrote:
Possibly. Do you not think Madge is a 'club' coach though in terms of needing to work with players day out, day in to get his ideas across and into practice. WB has done Rep at Origin. I am not sure how much time he will spend on the job though in terms of looking for the right players beyond what he already knows.

One irk I have is how NRL kids come through much quicker / better than here. Yet, we know the very best England juniors can compete / beat the very best Aus juniors. So somewhere, Aus juniors end up in the fast lane and ours are stuck in the stop start middle line.

WW - The quality of the Roosters is what made the Rabbitohs victory special IMO.
Its like Wigan used to be - if you bring youngsters into an environment of excellence then even lesser players strive to become excellent very quickly. If you bring them into mediocrity then only the very best even bother being better than those that surround them. The NRL has a higher standard first team environment so their juniors continue to progress to meet that standard. Ours stop short when their standard is high enough for SL, and they pick up all the little habits and culture along the way. In the glory days at Wigan we brought a conveyor belt of youngsters through. I don't think they were any better than the kids today but the environment they come into certainly is different.
⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
Owd Codger

Post by Owd Codger »

Mike wrote:
cpwigan wrote:
The Eclipse wrote: CP I personally think Madge Maquire would've been a much better choice as England coach than Bennett.

Its like Wigan used to be - if you bring youngsters into an environment of excellence then even lesser players strive to become excellent very quickly. If you bring them into mediocrity then only the very best even bother being better than those that surround them. The NRL has a higher standard first team environment so their juniors continue to progress to meet that standard. Ours stop short when their standard is high enough for SL, and they pick up all the little habits and culture along the way. In the glory days at Wigan we brought a conveyor belt of youngsters through. I don't think they were any better than the kids today but the environment they come into certainly is different.
They were indeed Mike, prior to 1996, introduced into a envviroment of clubs full of better class quality International players which included players at their peak from down under and top class Union players, mostly from South Wales who came into our game for the money.

Now the boot is on the other foot and our game is now the poor relation where money is concerned in both Union and the NRL and as a result it now can only attract the odd one or so decent players from Union and only rookies, fringe players and those past their best from the NRL.

Sad, but true!
cpwigan

Post by cpwigan »

Mike wrote:
cpwigan wrote:
The Eclipse wrote: CP I personally think Madge Maquire would've been a much better choice as England coach than Bennett.

It is an excellent answer. It even applies to coaching too. Noble being a great example and Madge showing the level it should be.