Amateur player serious injury...

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
robjoenz

Amateur player serious injury...

Post by robjoenz »

Just read in League Express this morning that Hull Dockers hooker Peter Stephenson broke a vertebrae in his neck in a three man tackle last Tuesday night.

Another shocking injury that, three in two years now, I doubt he'll be able to play again and being an amateur he'll be out of work (as a joiner) for a long time too. He also has a girlfriend and young child to support.

I hope he gets some decent donations to tide him over whilst he recovers, wonder if Mr. Stankevitch could donate a few quid. Give generously if you see any collections!
mrs_carney

Re: Amateur player serious inj...

Post by mrs_carney »

Just read that, its such a shame i hope the operation works and he's able to get back to work.
Talking about serious injuries, matt king is studying a level geography and history. He also has told his parents he wants an operation to help him breathe on his own, as when he goes out people tend to stare at him as they arent used to seeing people with tubes and oxygen tanks surrounding them. But his auntie thinks its unlikely to work if he hasnt been able to do it alone already.
Hopefull it will make Mr Stankevitch realise ACCIDENTS HAPPEN!
11/07/05 x - Always and forever - x <3
willie c

Re: Amateur player serious...

Post by willie c »

yeah its a shame when any player gets injured just think a amateur player also pays to play the game
here mate is that tackle seven your jokeing my head marra
wiganrldeanh

Re: Amateur player serious inj...

Post by wiganrldeanh »

robjoenz posted:
I hope he gets some decent donations to tide him over whilst he recovers, wonder if Mr. Stankevitch could donate a few quid. Give generously if you see any collections!
insurance should cover that
willie c

Post by willie c »

not really the barla insurance will only cover him if he is totally disabled unless it has changed since i played anyway what kind of reply is that
wiganrldeanh

Post by wiganrldeanh »

well most clubs have am seperate insurance and most sensible players have private insurance aswell
robjoenz

Post by robjoenz »

wiganrldeanh posted:
well most clubs have am seperate insurance and most sensible players have private insurance aswell
In that case why would Stankevitch and that Aussie whose career was ended with a spear tackle follow the path of court proceedings if there was an insurance package that covered loss of earnings etc?

These are professional players we are talking about who will have much better insurance packages than an amateur player. Yes there are support structures in place but it is inevitable he will suffer financially as a result of what has happened.
willie c

Post by willie c »

most insurance that clubs have are very poor also private ones dont equal peoples weekly wage thats why clubs put events to raise money for injured players
botica

Post by botica »

Barla insurance is still a joke but all club have to have it. It now does not cover player to player cases. NWC open age asked all clubs to make sure that all players had personal insurance or the club would be fined. So many got the cover pre season so they could play and then cancelled it once the first two payments had been taken. This year they havent asked for proof of insurance! My 12yr old has his own and since taking it on he has not even had a black eye!
"Not only did they beat St Helens in the Grand Final, they did it with style" Mike Stephenson 2nd Oct 2010