Four Nations Venues Revealed: Anfield Set For Finale

Got something to discuss about RL in general? Then this is the place to post it.
josie andrews

Four Nations Venues Revealed: Anfield Set For Finale

Post by josie andrews »

The final of the 2016 Four Nations will be held at the historic home of Liverpool Football Club, Anfield, on November 19th the Express has reported.

Wayne Bennett’s first tournament as England coach will see them go up against Australia, New Zealand and Scotland, as they seek to build on the 2-1 series victory over the Kiwis last year.

The Express reports that RFL officials would prefer Wigan’s DW Stadium as the venue for the final, however it’s looking like Rugby League will be coming to Liverpool in the Autumn.

They also revealed that England’s first match will be against Stephen Kearney’s New Zealand at Huddersfield’s John Smith’s Stadium.

This could be followed by a double header at Coventry’s Richo Arena, where England will face Scotland, and the Aussies will do battle with New Zealand in a repeat of the 2014 final.

England will then play Australia at London’s Olympic Stadium- this will be the second ever Rugby League match at the ground after Game 2 of the Autumn Series in 2015.

Hull KR’s KC Lightstream Stadium and Workington Town’s Zebra Claims Stadium have also been earmarked to host Four Nations matches not involving England (Australia vs Scotland & New Zealand vs Scotland).

However, Hull FC chairman Adam Pearson revealed last month in a Hull FC Member’s Meeting that the KC Stadium had also secured a Four Nations match, which would go against the reports in the tabloid newspaper.

It was also confirmed last year that Scotland would host at least one home match, so at this stage it’s not sure how concrete these reports are.

http://the18thman.com/2016/03/22/four-n ... r-finale/?
Anyone can support a team when it is winning, that takes no courage.
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
that takes a lot of courage. #18thMan
josie andrews

Re: Four Nations Venues Revealed: Anfield Set For Finale

Post by josie andrews »

I am so against using a football stadium for this final!

Why can't we keep our money in Rugby League instead of boosting already mega rich football clubs/stadiums with our cash?

We are going to have to pay for the use of the stadium plus all the staff etc needed.

RFL again wasting our already poor resources just so they can have another jolly day out at the fans expense!!
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
the pieman

Post by the pieman »

Josie, it looks like all the matches are being played at football stadiums or at best case dual use stadiums

DW
KC
John Smiths / galpharm or whatever it is called these days
Olympic Stadium
Ricoh Arena

if the RFL are to keep it all in house then they should perhaps be looking at LSV, Warrington, Saints etc, there isnt a sole use RL ground in Yorkshire that is fit for purpose

the problem is that the RFL want to grow the sport and take it to new areas (trust me i dont believe that we have the right people in place to do that), but we dont attract the crowds generally to fill a larger stadium, but the stadiums i named above wouldnt be big enough for England V NZ or Aus, so it is a real catch 22.

i only need to look at about 20-30 years when we played tests v Aus and we had Wembley / Old Trafford and Ellend Rd with massive crowds. We now dont fill Wigan, Hudds and Hull but we get the spin about how big the games are

i sort of agree, try and keep the money within the game, but we dont have the resources / infrastructure to support where the game should be

AndyNick

Post by AndyNick »

I have been to a couple of Wasps games at the Ricoh and it's a decent setup there. Coventry and Leamington both have sides in the Lower leagues and the Midlands is a potential expansion area that hasn't previously been looked into. The concern would be the same as it was when we tried South Wales in that we are in an established strong Union area (albeit nowhere near the same level as South Wales) but you have Leicester Tigers, Northampton and Wasps all in close proximity. Will be interesting to see how it does at Coventry though.

Surprised to see Anfield. Surely given the fact it has previously hosted Magic, added to the fact that it is a far nicer and more easily accessible stadium, the Etihad would have been a better choice if you are looking for a bigger Stadium to host the final. Perhaps MCFC were approached and declined???

It is a shame that we aren't keeping it in house. Perhaps it is a wake up call to the so-called bigger clubs that they need to up their game. I know it has tradition but the older parts of Headingley are not up to modern standards, Uncle Gary will no doubt be on the phone complaining about them being overlooked though. If you're looking for 30,000+ crowds though, you are ruling out all of the stadiums in the Super League straight away. (KC 25,586, DW 25,138 and John Smiths 24,500)

The Scotland games at the World Cup did well in Workington so pleased to see them following up on the interest that is so obviously there in Cumbria
cpwigan

Post by cpwigan »

Do you never go to Wembley Josie :wink:
markill

Post by markill »

These aren't finalised yet though are they. Should be soon however as tickets on sale a month today. At long long last!
in the world of mules, there are no rules

LATEST PODCAST EPISODE
https://www.spreaker.com/user/superleaguepod
josie andrews

Post by josie andrews »

cpwigan wrote:Do you never go to Wembley Josie :wink:
Don't be stupid :wink:

I used to go to every CC final wherever it was played, Wembley, Millenium, even Twickenham ???? & whoever was playing, same with the GF's. I soon saw the light & now I only go when Wigan are there.

I don't mind Wembley because it is tradition to play the CC finals there, but it seems we are giving more & more money to football only stadiums ???? That's all I'm saying.

I know the modern RL stadia are not built to have crowds over approx 25000 these days but it still irks me that our money is not going back into our game!

Does it not bother you?
cpwigan

Post by cpwigan »

Only teasing.

Not really. I can remember the Ashes tests being played at Old Trafford, Elland Road and so forth. Sold out, great atmosphere etc. I was more gutted that Mal Meningsa stomped down field to stop us wining the Ashes.

I always think if you opt for small stadiums that you limit your ambition. Think big and what did Kevin Costern say; Build it, they will come ......
thegimble

Post by thegimble »

josie andrews wrote:I am so against using a football stadium for this final!

Why can't we keep our money in Rugby League instead of boosting already mega rich football clubs/stadiums with our cash?

We are going to have to pay for the use of the stadium plus all the staff etc needed.

RFL again wasting our already poor resources just so they can have another jolly day out at the fans expense!!
Anfield capacity 45k can any SL compete with that.

45k compated to 25k at DW is a big injection for the game not just financially but will allow more to go and watch the final.

Also another 20k paying will give the RFL a lot more money so its not wasted. Do you think they get the DW for free. Aren't the Wigan police one of the more expensive to pay for games.
josie andrews

Post by josie andrews »

thegimble wrote:
josie andrews wrote:I am so against using a football stadium for this final!

Anfield capacity 45k can any SL compete with that.

45k compated to 25k at DW is a big injection for the game not just financially but will allow more to go and watch the final.

Also another 20k paying will give the RFL a lot more money so its not wasted. Do you think they get the DW for free. Aren't the Wigan police one of the more expensive to pay for games.
I've never seen police at our games at the DW!

The only time I did see police with their horses, I asked why they were there & they said it was the best place to come when they were training the horses to get use to the crowds!