Who should Wigan sign?

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
Wiganer Ted

Re: Who should Wigan sign?

Post by Wiganer Ted »

There were rumours a couple of weeks ago from a Cas fan saying we'd signed Justin Carney for 2017 after his loan at Salford was finished.
A back five of Tomkins, Manfredi, Gelling, Gildart & Carney looks pretty strong to me.

If I was after anyone in SL it would be Terry Campese. Bring him in as player/asst coach so he could tutor our half backs in the finer points of play.
Campese is a quality player at the back end of his career and coaching in the future will have occured to him by now.
Where better to end your playing career with continuity into coaching than at Wigan?
Panchitta Marra

Post by Panchitta Marra »

Joe Burgess.
josie andrews

Post by josie andrews »

Panchitta Marra wrote:Joe Burgess.
????????????????????????????????
Anyone can support a team when it is winning, that takes no courage.
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
that takes a lot of courage. #18thMan
butt monkey

Post by butt monkey »

cpwigan wrote:
markill wrote:When Manfredi was a back-up we didn't really know what we had in him. Similar thing when Charnley was coming through too.

So I don't think we can write off the youngsters as being 'worse' than the youngsters of the past. We're basing how good they are on what they've done in the first team and not as unknown quantities they once were before that. The likes of Higginson are unknown quantities at the moment but may not be in 12 months.
Which applies to Gildart. Agree with Mark 100%
Which sort of renders your thread useless CP

Why sign anyone at all if all we need to do is simply promote juniors and see how they go?
[img]http://www.webdeveloper.com/animations/ ... monkey.gif[/img]

The biggest Room is the Room for improvement.

The best form of defence is attack!!

Out of the black and into the red, remember you don't get anything for two in a bed!!
SJ

Post by SJ »

Wiganer Ted wrote:There were rumours a couple of weeks ago from a Cas fan saying we'd signed Justin Carney for 2017 after his loan at Salford was finished.
A back five of Tomkins, Manfredi, Gelling, Gildart & Carney looks pretty strong to me.

If I was after anyone in SL it would be Terry Campese. Bring him in as player/asst coach so he could tutor our half backs in the finer points of play.
Campese is a quality player at the back end of his career and coaching in the future will have occured to him by now.
Where better to end your playing career with continuity into coaching than at Wigan?
Like the suggestion of Campase Ted
medlocke

Post by medlocke »

SJ wrote:
Wiganer Ted wrote:There were rumours a couple of weeks ago from a Cas fan saying we'd signed Justin Carney for 2017 after his loan at Salford was finished.

Injury prone and over the hill
cpwigan

Post by cpwigan »

medlocke wrote:
SJ wrote:

Injury prone and over the hill
Agree 100% with Meds. In his pomp an excellent player BUT not now.
DaveO

Post by DaveO »

Cherry_Warrior wrote: I have to disagree. I think it's stronger. You forgot to add Isa to the centres.
And so did Wane. Both Wane and the player himself now see the 2nd row as his position.

cpwigan

Post by cpwigan »

butt monkey wrote:
cpwigan wrote:
markill wrote:When Manfredi was a back-up we didn't really know what we had in him. Similar thing when Charnley was coming through too.

So I don't think we can write off the youngsters as being 'worse' than the youngsters of the past. We're basing how good they are on what they've done in the first team and not as unknown quantities they once were before that. The likes of Higginson are unknown quantities at the moment but may not be in 12 months.
Which applies to Gildart. Agree with Mark 100%
Which sort of renders your thread useless CP

Why sign anyone at all if all we need to do is simply promote juniors and see how they go?
The club has a youth policy and that is fine / great BUt equally you accept none are perfect and you have to make signings too; Flower and Clubb for example.
cpwigan

Post by cpwigan »

DaveO wrote:
Cherry_Warrior wrote: I have to disagree. I think it's stronger. You forgot to add Isa to the centres.
And so did Wane. Both Wane and the player himself now see the 2nd row as his position.
Isa is seen as a backrower. He would probably be behind even Bateman as a back. Personaly, I prefer not to put forwards into back position but sometimes you have to. I did smile at Dave Taylor being dropped into centre for Cats. I bet the opp centre did not appreciate it :lol: