Charnley in talks with Sale

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
josie andrews

Re: Charnley in talks with Sale

Post by josie andrews »

Can we try & quote the one post we are replying to instead of a dozen or so as it is very hard to follow the conversation when you have to read or scroll thru the umpteen previous posts to get to the reply?

Thank you
Anyone can support a team when it is winning, that takes no courage.
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
that takes a lot of courage. #18thMan
nathan_rugby

Post by nathan_rugby »

josie andrews wrote:
nathan_rugby wrote:Would be interesting to see where everyone thinks Burgess SHOULD have ranked in terms of Wigan's top earners if we managed to give him a new contract.

I would say top 3 are:
Tomkins,
Lockers,
MM,
Joel Tomkins,

I would have been happy if Burgess took the number 5 top earner, however I feel players such as Charnley, Smith, Flower, Mossop etc would have been ahead.
I thought Joel Tomkins & Lee Mossop came back on a reduced wage?
Did they?

The only trouble with wages, what often happens in Rugby is people get increasing wages year on year...

The point I was making, albiet not very clear, was that in terms of Wigan's earners, where should Burgess have been ranked in terms of the improved offer Wigan made?

I personally think after the season he had and the further potential, Wigan should have made him around the 5th top earner. I highly doubt this was the case and would have been based on an increasing wages salary year on year.

I expect Sydney's wage offer for 2016 was still higher than what Wigan offered for Y3, 4 or even 5.
Bomhead - "Lockers to prop."
josie andrews

Post by josie andrews »

I'm sure Joel commented on being on lesser pay?

Maybe he was talking about taking a 'pay cut' from Union wages!!
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
Panchitta Marra

Post by Panchitta Marra »

Whelley Warrior wrote:
Panchitta Marra wrote:
DaveO wrote: He didn't need to ask for a transfer. He was set to be a free agent.

Having nothing on the table from Wigan he went looking and found even as a rookie he could get a deal in Oz and got one.

He didn't "set his stall out".

Once he was sorted whether or not Wigan could match it was probably irrelevant. His mind would have been set on the move.

I doubt he is on mega bucks in Oz. His club do have a lot more expensive and experienced players to fit under even their large salary cap. He is not a marquee player for them but his wage will certainly be high by SL standards. Maybe six figures in £££'s and no doubt some would say we should not be chucking £100K+ at players of his age.

I'd say why not? We have got few other players of his talent who deserve it!

Wigan need to recognise special talent and pay accordingly.
I fully agree, special talent has to be recognised and paid accordingly irrespective of age. Joe obviously wasn't by wigan so chose to move on.
Is anyone seriously suggesting that Wigan would not offer a good contract to a outstanding young winger like Burgess and forced him into a situation of wanting to go to Australia.

The fact that no other Super League showed interest when they saw what was happening at Wigan tells you that they knew that had Burgess made the decision to leave for more money in the NRL irrespective of what any offer by Wigan or any other club here.
When Josh Charnley was a young winger similar to Budgies age he was reportedly on a £16k per annum salary.
Maybe he didn't want to play for any team other than Wigan in Superleague.
josie andrews

Post by josie andrews »

RJ

Post by RJ »

Sad day for me when u lose a player of Josh's ability. His record is tremendous for the club and he always gives 100 per cent.Good luck to him.
Owd Codger

Post by Owd Codger »

If anything has promted Charnley to leave in addition to any money, it is the way he was publicly criticised by Wane at the end of last season and the comments that have followed on the social media including websites like this one, saying that he was no longer good enough to wear the Wigan shirt.

The money may have tempted him, but the criticiam more than likely convinced him to go.
Mike
Site Admin

Post by Mike »

I couldn't see any way back from him after the MEN article he wrote accusing Wane of treating him unfairly.
⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
🏆🏆🏆🏆
DaveO

Post by DaveO »

Whelley Warrior wrote:If anything has promted Charnley to leave in addition to any money, it is the way he was publicly criticised by Wane at the end of last season and the comments that have followed on the social media including websites like this one, saying that he was no longer good enough to wear the Wigan shirt.

The money may have tempted him, but the criticiam more than likely convinced him to go.
Good grief! I agree with WW :wink: though I think you overrate the influence of social media. Any player or coach who takes any notice of it wants their heads testing. I think if there are issues other than money involved they are between Josh, Wane and the club.
DaveO

Post by DaveO »

Mike wrote:I couldn't see any way back from him after the MEN article he wrote accusing Wane of treating him unfairly.
He isn't the first player to fall foul of Wane. Taylor, Hampshire and Josh spring to mind. Others who cause debate over their ability seem bulletproof as far as Wane goes.