Should we save the UK steel Industry?

Got anything else on your mind that isn't about the Warriors? If you do, this is the place to post.
cpwigan

Should we save the UK steel Industry?

Post by cpwigan »

And if so, how?
Fujiman

Re: Should we save the UK steel Industry?

Post by Fujiman »

cpwigan wrote:And if so, how?
Pretend it's a bank!
cpwigan

Post by cpwigan »

Fujiman wrote:
cpwigan wrote:And if so, how?
Pretend it's a bank!
:lol:

I hope we do and please lets not use the we cannot do anything we are in the EU. It hasn't stopped Italy or Germany.
Wiganer Ted

Post by Wiganer Ted »

Yes we should.

By reducing energy costs.
By the Gov't buying a majority shareholding (51%) as they did with the banks.
Then "dump" their steel on the market at below cost.
Being prepared to pay the financial cost which would be zillions less than bailing out the banks.

This Govt is embarking on the biggest infrastructure investment since Victorian times over next 20 years. It will take millions upon millions of tons of steel so plan for it to be British Steel.
Once our steel indutry is gone then we depend on imports to supply the whole of the needs of the UK.
Not a good position to be in.
Owd Codger

Post by Owd Codger »

We have no chance in saving our steel industry as the Indian owners of Tata have shipped all the profitable parts of the industry to India.

Its ccalled asset stripping and the sad thing is that our Goverment has allowed them to do it.
Panchitta Marra

Post by Panchitta Marra »

It's a pity when such industries produce highly skilled people and that also provide apprenticeships in a time of problematic employment for our younger generation.
My apprenticeship was with BBC Cumbria, something I look back on that was a very good standing for the start of my working career.
medlocke

Post by medlocke »

Whelley Warrior wrote:We have no chance in saving our steel industry as the Indian owners of Tata have shipped all the profitable parts of the industry to India.

Its ccalled asset stripping and the sad thing is that our Goverment has allowed them to do it.
Labour allowed it first :exc:
SJ

Post by SJ »

medlocke wrote:
Whelley Warrior wrote:We have no chance in saving our steel industry as the Indian owners of Tata have shipped all the profitable parts of the industry to India.

Labour allowed it first :exc:
If its costing £ 1000,000. Per day. As reported Get rid and pay the 1,500 laid off a decent payout from the saving Some hope
Wandering Warrior

Post by Wandering Warrior »

Get rid of the steel industry today and get rid of the remaining engineering industry we have tomorrow.
I know for a fact that some imported stainless steel previously was imported for use in a major industry and was not fit for purpose, P Marra will be aware of this also I suspect?
This will be Cameron's equivalent of Thatcher's meddling with the coal industry.
NHS next to see the axe?
When John Byrom plays on snow, he doesn't leave any footprints - Jimmy Armfield
DaveO

Post by DaveO »

Yes we should save it.

The last straw for Tata was our own government vetoing a rise in the tariffs imposed on Chinese imports despite the fact they are dumping the steel at below cost price.

Lets be clear on this - that nasty organisation the EU wanted to increase the tariffs to protect the European steel industry including our own yet the EU has been prevented from doing so by our Tory government.

The Chinese steel industry isn't profitable either but they are subsidising it and when ours is gone they will have a ready market.

Free trade only works if you play the game which the Chinese are not so tariffs are a legitimate mechanism with which to protect your own industry. It is not protectionism whereby inefficient industries are hidden from genuine competition because as I said the Chinese steel industry is loss making, is being state subsidised and is dumping product at below cost price.

The Yanks are imposing huge tariffs to protect their steel industry yet our stupid Tory government vetoed a rise in tariffs to be imposed by the EU. Morons!

Why did our government do this? Well apparently if industry had to pay more for steel that would put costs up for the consumer. The idea that perhaps paying the true cost of things might actually lead to a balanced economy and some industry in the UK that was sustainable does not concern them.