Hughes or Burke

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
gillysmyhero

Hughes or Burke

Post by gillysmyhero »

Did we make a mistake in letting Jack Hughes go and keeping Greg Burke.
Panchitta Marra

Re: Hughes or Burke

Post by Panchitta Marra »

gillysmyhero wrote:Did we make a mistake in letting Jack Hughes go and keeping Greg Burke.
Thought both played OK last night, Burke doesn't seem to give penalties away like Hughes freely does. I think Greg Burke has come on and can sustain his place in the Wigan team.
AdamMac

Post by AdamMac »

Hughes 100%.

Burke has been nothing more than average. Needs to step up big time
gillysmyhero

Post by gillysmyhero »

I can't see anything in Burke if I'm being honest. When he was on loan at KR last season I know they rated him and from what little I saw of him I thought he did well. But so far this season i just don't think he's brought anything to the team. Hughes on the other hand I think he's improved massively since he's left us. It's interesting how people's opinions on players differe
AdamMac

Post by AdamMac »

Hes a down grad on previous lads we've had who are 18th/19th choice in a full fit squad. Ie tuson, Hughes, Patrick.

Would have all those over Burke.
cpwigan

Post by cpwigan »

It was never a question of either or. Hughes was ready to leave and needed to be a starter. Burke IMO is under rated because he is not a showy player but clubs / coaches always seem to want him more than fans do.
DaveO

Post by DaveO »

cpwigan wrote:It was never a question of either or. Hughes was ready to leave and needed to be a starter. Burke IMO is under rated because he is not a showy player but clubs / coaches always seem to want him more than fans do.
I agree. It wasn't a choice there to be made at the time Hughes future was to be decided.

Always felt Hughes was underrated and suffered from being moved into the centres when at Wigan.

As to Burke I also agree. I think he is underrated. He seems to make very few errors and I think he must be doing what Wane wants of him or he would not make the side as he has been.
TrueBlueWarrior

Post by TrueBlueWarrior »

I don't think Hughes is a loss at all!!
'If you start listening to the fans it won't be long before you're sitting with them.' - Wayne Bennett
No straw damn us

Post by No straw damn us »

If everyone is fit then Burke is in the reserves, and is a back up player. He has only made over 40 metres once this season and is averaging only 27 metres per game. he doesn't make many mistakes though.
Kittwazzer

Post by Kittwazzer »

cpwigan wrote:It was never a question of either or. Hughes was ready to leave and needed to be a starter. Burke IMO is under rated because he is not a showy player but clubs / coaches always seem to want him more than fans do.
And Burke is no more of a guaranteed starter than Hughes would have been, hence his desire to move!