Tonight V Warrington

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
Panchitta Marra

Re: Tonight V Warrington

Post by Panchitta Marra »

TrueBlueWarrior wrote:
Dorsey wrote:
TrueBlueWarrior wrote:Let's just get one thing clear in my mind, Thaler is suspended but Hicks is allowed to referee?
You couldn't make it up could you :angry:
He has arguably made about 8 clear wrong decisions!! He has no control over the players or respect from them, he told SOL and Hill to go away because they weren't listening!! :lol:

Making a mockery of the sport!!
I'm saying nothing, it just guts me knowing he has his own agenda when refereeing Wigan games.
TrueBlueWarrior

Post by TrueBlueWarrior »

Southern Softy wrote:We are the second-best team in SL at the moment. If all of our injured players were back (assuming Warrington's were as well) then we would be equal first in SL.
However, Warrington have a thinking and planning coach and we do not.
Despite the sheer inadequacy of the on-field referee and the Video Referee, whose decisions are frankly beyond a laughing-stock and seeming to be something else, we were magnificent in the second half, having been played off the park in the first.
But our efforts (and I thought Gregson and Gildart were outstanding, among others) simply meant that what we saw were players battering a Warrington side who must have been quite pleased that it turned into a slug-fest. I didn't see any skill. finesse or anything that made me think that this was a true Wigan side. It might have been Castleford (no offence) just rolling up their sleeves and 'having a right go.'

Sarginson's two passes were the only real bits of quality that stood out as doing something different to break down a rugged defence. What was typical was Tautai, rampaging forward, hair flying, all effort and achieving not very much at all. Fine for a middle of the table side but not for Wigan.
Really? I think SW has got the better of Smith in recent years when it really matters!!
'If you start listening to the fans it won't be long before you're sitting with them.' - Wayne Bennett
Southern Softy

Post by Southern Softy »

I think for the last couple of years, Warrington might have been a bit short of cash because they didn't replace key players but this season (the last bit of last season for Sandow) they have spent a bit, recruited and put together a side which has a plan on and off the pitch. They are not supermen and they can be beaten by teams who work them out but is SW the man to do that? He came out last night and said that he was proud of the players in the second half when what I saw was players determined to show some pride and 'fight.' Great but that doesn't win SL, it just reflects the way that SW used to play.
TrueBlueWarrior

Southern Softy wrote:I think for the last couple of years, Warrington might have been a bit short of cash because they didn't replace key players but this season (the last bit of last season for Sandow) they have spent a bit, recruited and put together a side which has a plan on and off the pitch. They are not supermen and they can be beaten by teams who work them out but is SW the man to do that? He came out last night and said that he was proud of the players in the second half when what I saw was players determined to show some pride and 'fight.' Great but that doesn't win SL, it just reflects the way that SW used to play.
When it matters we will beat them!!
'If you start listening to the fans it won't be long before you're sitting with them.' - Wayne Bennett
Kittwazzer

Post by Kittwazzer »

shaunedwardsfan​club​ wrote:
On another matter, how do Wire get 25 guys under the salary cap? Sandow, Gidley, Hill, Simm, Westwood, Lineham, Ratchford, Westwood and Clarke must take up the vast chunk of it.
No doubt Dr Koukash will be asking that question very publicly should the RFL have the balls to penalise Salford over their Salary Cap?
Southern Softy

Post by Southern Softy »

And why will it be different from last night? This is not the Warrington team of the last few years. They can be beaten but does SW have the nous to realise this is a different team who have to be played in a different way from previous seasons?
TrueBlueWarrior

Southern Softy wrote:And why will it be different from last night? This is not the Warrington team of the last few years. They can be beaten but does SW have the nous to realise this is a different team who have to be played in a different way from previous seasons?
Sam
Gelling
Williams
Crosby
MM (if lucky)
Flower
Lockers (full game)
Bateman

I would have thought could make a difference!!
SJ

Post by SJ »

ian b wrote:
Whelley Warrior wrote:The Warrington team only showed that they have something we do not have ie, a good class Stand off in Ratchford and yes, I have too admit it on his form this season, a good class Scrum Half in Sandow plus a top class experience Australian ex International in Gidley who together with two big, rough Prop Forwards in Hill and Simms controlled the game and made us look poor.

Whenever they got near our 20m line, they looked dangerous whereas when we reached their 20m line, we as usual were running around like headless chickens without making any real headway.

Unless we sort out the major problem at half back, we will continue to struggle this season, irrespective of who is playing in the other positions or is missing because of injury.

I have been supportive of Wane as the Head Coach, but I now have to admit, that perhaps a change of direction is needed in the way of coaching at the club with the appoinment of a top class experienced Coach from down under.

Without any of the usual personel abuse, what do others think?

Think that is spot on to be honest. Defensive wise I think Wigan have been quite good but attacking wise they have been poor. Every time they get near the try line they haven't a clue and like you say they just run around aimlessly and it is so

predictable.

Just watched it I share TBW's opinion. I saw nothing to fear in Wire performance. We only played the last half hour. ,possibly by design? Re- SW like WW I've always supported SW and on the whole I am happy with our team but like CP I'm a Jack Gibson desciple and believe a coach can take a team so far before fresh ideas,systems etc. are needed. I think that time is now due. A change for the coach will rejuvenate him as well as the teamI would suggest an Aussie coach. This is no reflection or Criticism of SW'S abilities but simply a programmatic strategy

superleague

Post by superleague »

I find it amusing that anyone can think wane has any tactical nous, he's only tactic is bash em and hope for the best. The attack is truly shocking, it's so predictable and boring, the line is ridiculously flat and slow. In training all we must do is tackle, because there's isn't a bloody organised and structured attacking play in us. I'm really hoping and I believe it's really clutching at straws because imo Wane is the big problem along with players who aren't good enough, that when we get our injured players to return we can actually fashion some sort of decent attack
thegimble

Post by thegimble »

TrueBlueWarrior wrote:I must have been watching a different game because yes they dominated the first 20 after massive leg ups from that clown in the middle but after that considering we had 8 of our first team missing and they had 1, I thought we looked the more dominant!! Again with players back nothing to fear!!
Last night was the scariest result for a while.

If we went to Wire they lost 8 of the best players imagine what a fully fit Wigan side would have done to them.

Fact that they did not speaks volumes and they will start going backwards just like Widnes did once injuries and fatigue creeps in.