Tonight V Warrington

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
Premium

Re: Tonight V Warrington

Post by Premium »

I will not respond to the personal comments you make

I will await the step off either foot and acceleration you mention hopefully it still is effective personally I have my doubts we are still doing a move instigated by McGuire and everybody knows what to expect
butt monkey

Post by butt monkey »

Kittwazzer wrote:
TrueBlueWarrior wrote:I must have been watching a different game because yes they dominated the first 20 after massive leg ups from that clown in the middle but after that considering we had 8 of our first team missing and they had 1, I thought we looked the more dominant!! Again with players back nothing to fear!!
Exactly. What we saw last night was as good as Warrington get whereas we were a shadow of the team we can be if we get our injuries sorted.
Key word - IF

This season might be the season we continually and incessantly loose players to injuries. Seems so so far.

Not wishing it on them but you cannot predict how we will fair on this front so to predict our full strength side will beat Wires is nothing more than hypothetical
[img]http://www.webdeveloper.com/animations/ ... monkey.gif[/img]

The biggest Room is the Room for improvement.

The best form of defence is attack!!

Out of the black and into the red, remember you don't get anything for two in a bed!!
TrueBlueWarrior

Post by TrueBlueWarrior »

Premium wrote:
TrueBlueWarrior wrote:
Southern Softy wrote:And why will it be different from last night? This is not the Warrington team of the last few years. They can be beaten but does SW have the nous to realise this is a different team who have to be played in a different way from previous seasons?
Sam
Gelling
Williams
Crosby
MM (if lucky)
Flower
Lockers (full game)
Bateman

I would have thought could make a difference!!
Are you sure about that ?

Sam. Good support player not know for being creative
Gelling Make it up as he goes along probably a cheap signing as well
Williams. Good potential if played in correct position
Crosby. Not for me
MM (if lucky). Brilliant player we are missing him massively
Flower. Solid forward
Lockers (full game). Great defensively not a creative player
Bateman. Resilient Gutsy fully committed not creative

We have no recognised goal kicker
As previous postings have mentioned What's the plan in the lfinal third ? We are still doing the same move that McGuire started there has been no progression
Going to be completely honest I stopped reading after your comments about Sam!!
'If you start listening to the fans it won't be long before you're sitting with them.' - Wayne Bennett
TrueBlueWarrior

butt monkey wrote:
Kittwazzer wrote:
TrueBlueWarrior wrote:I must have been watching a different game because yes they dominated the first 20 after massive leg ups from that clown in the middle but after that considering we had 8 of our first team missing and they had 1, I thought we looked the more dominant!! Again with players back nothing to fear!!
Exactly. What we saw last night was as good as Warrington get whereas we were a shadow of the team we can be if we get our injuries sorted.
Key word - IF

This season might be the season we continually and incessantly loose players to injuries. Seems so so far.

Not wishing it on them but you cannot predict how we will fair on this front so to predict our full strength side will beat Wires is nothing more than hypothetical

Everything is hypothetical until it happens, what is fact is them missing just Sandow and us 8 of our first 17, for me it was closer than it should be and I assume that Wire will be more worried about us than I am about them after last night!!
'If you start listening to the fans it won't be long before you're sitting with them.' - Wayne Bennett
butt monkey

Post by butt monkey »

TrueBlueWarrior wrote:
butt monkey wrote:
Kittwazzer wrote: Exactly. What we saw last night was as good as Warrington get whereas we were a shadow of the team we can be if we get our injuries sorted.
Key word - IF

Everything is hypothetical until it happens, what is fact is them missing just Sandow and us 8 of our first 17, for me it was closer than it should be and I assume that Wire will be more worried about us than I am about them after last night!!
Of course and I acknowledge that Wire were almost at full strength. What is certain is that Wigan need to make more out of the possession that we have than we currently do.

Wire noticeably fell off in the second half and relied on simply playing for position with little grubbers keeping us down in our 20. Wigan did not have the creativity to open them up with the quality of the likes of Manfredi on the wing enough
[img]http://www.webdeveloper.com/animations/ ... monkey.gif[/img]

The biggest Room is the Room for improvement.

The best form of defence is attack!!

Out of the black and into the red, remember you don't get anything for two in a bed!!
TrueBlueWarrior

butt monkey wrote:
TrueBlueWarrior wrote:
butt monkey wrote: Key word - IF

Of course and I acknowledge that Wire were almost at full strength. What is certain is that Wigan need to make more out of the possession that we have than we currently do.

Wire noticeably fell off in the second half and relied on simply playing for position with little grubbers keeping us down in our 20. Wigan did not have the creativity to open them up with the quality of the likes of Manfredi on the wing enough
I totally agree that our attack will have to improve if we want to be competitive at the business end of the season!!
cpwigan

Post by cpwigan »

The problem with the stats is yes on the face of it our forwards look awful but invariably our forwards are not allowed to be forwards. Rarely if ever do our forwards get the opportunity to make the big/long yardage carrys to say return kicks. We invariably use backs like forwards so yardage stats for our forwards will always look awful.
Owd Codger

Post by Owd Codger »

With respect to Wane, I think that like Rogers at Liverpool he has taken the team as far as he is capable of taking it with the players he has in the squad. However, for me we have not got the right blend of top class experienced players and emerging Academy players like Leeds have had in recent seasons. In fact I think we have too much concentration on youth and not enough on top class experience. Having said that, perhaps the blame might lie more with Leneghan than Wane.

As for the game against Warrington, it is no good saying that we competed with them in the second half because by then the damaged had been done in the first half by their superior half backs and I for one always got the impression that Warrington if required could have stepped up a gear if we got close to them in the score. Supporters should also to note that this season they have like Leeds recruited some new quality players and they may not have gelled fully yet. Gidley for example sure knew near the end of the game how to soak up time and take the pressure off them by keep kicking the ball into touch and creating a scrum in our part of the field as he could see that Hick was slow in stopping the clock.
i'm spartacus

Post by i'm spartacus »

DaveO wrote:
i'm spartacus wrote:
Everyone is on Smith's back again, and compared to Sandow's performance i can see why most folks would come to that conclusion. I really don't think it's just as simple as that though as Sandow was playing behind a very dominant set of forwards.
So what is his excuse when our pack is on top as it has been several times this season? We have spent quite a few minutes camped in the opposition 20m in several games this season and have very little to show for it.

I think suggesting Smith isn't good enough is that simple because when he has our pack dominating for him, he still doesn't have a clue.

I was going to say it may be because Wane insists he plays the way he does but Matty Smith has enough experience now to say stuff that if it isn't working but he doesn't.
I'm beginning to believe that SW has a god complex and wouldn't listen to anyone no matter how misdirected he is

The fact that our attack fails and has failed all season isn't solely the fault of any one player. We are playing split half's so it's not fair to blame him for the whole attack and I'm going to have to say it.

Wane ball is all to predictable, the shapes are the same, and there seems to be very little thought put into the movement and direction of the whole attack. I really do believe it's an attacking coach with a plan we need.
i'm spartacus

Post by i'm spartacus »

In the games where are forwards are on top, they do get the big long yardage returns. Against HKR we had 5 forwards over 100 metres with Bateman at 164. As I've said numerous times, stats are not the whole story, but they are indicative of performance, and on the reading of stats for the forwards v Wire it was a very poor performance. I also don't think anyone who watched the game needs cold hard stats to tell them that.

I accept that in Sims and Hill, wire have the two of the best props in SL and they are always going to be hard to contain, but our forwards made no real impact