Injuries...

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
cpwigan

Re: Injuries...

Post by cpwigan »

George and his injury have been known since and probably before he was deemed injured. I am not sure anybody is to blame etc.
stevethegas

Post by stevethegas »

Asked if this could be a season ending injury, well, I only wish I knew. They don't give us crystal balls at medical school, and even on the Golden mile in Blackpool, I'm not convinced as to their accuracy and reliability.

The commonest injuries in the back are bruising/swelling which is very painful and disabling, but almost always gets better. The general advice is take plenty painkillers and keep moving.

Of course painkillers mask the pain - that's their job. But not so much that you'll risk further damage by not feeling it. You'd really have to go OTT for that to happen.

If I may digress here briefly, the best painkiller ever invented is paracetamol. It works in everybody, including those who say it doesn't. Take enough of a formulation that's absorbed quickly (fizzy soluble tablets are quickest) and it's very effective. Take one tablet that takes 2 hours to absorb, and if your headache gets better you won't realise it was the paracetamol. Adults need 1G (2 500mg tablets) every 4 hours in severe pain.
Ibuprofen is very good, but does have side effects in 5% of people. For the other 95% it's good. Again 2 x 200mg tablets every 6 hours, but READ THE LABEL.

A slipped disc is when the gristle at the front of the spine which acts as a cushioning joint between the bones of the spine, gets deformed under severe pressure, such as a big forward landing on you, and presses on a nerve root. The nerve in question is the sciatic, so leg pain, sciatica, results.
Again, mostly this resolves with no treatment, but keyhole surgery to remove the damaged gristle is relatively easy, relatively succesful, and relatively quick to heal.

I have no idea what Williams' actual injury is, so can't comment. But I would suspect a fit young man with good advice and treatment will get better OK. I repeat I have seen and heard nothing to make me question his treatment so far.

But how long? Well, I've a piece of string . . .
Stevethegas
robspark

Post by robspark »

chris1234 wrote:Injuries status starting to look worse....

Heard this morning Dom Manfredi has one ligament come clean off the bone and the other is torn, hes at risk of the other tearing if he plays on with it. Wigan want him to play on Sunday with injections.

Williams heard his injury is worse than they thought, apparently he isn't really responding to treatment and may need an op.... ending his season. This is the first ive heard about Williams, but im not 100% sure on this one.

The Manfredi one is 100% spot on right, the source is bob on.

Apparently club doctor is having all the injured players in tonight to see them all, no training for them all today at all...
If the Manfredi details are true, would you play on Sunday and risk snapping the remaining ligament and then possibly require surgery to repair the damage and be out for a long time?

Or would you go against the clubs wishes thinking of your future career?
cpwigan

Post by cpwigan »

Not sure if you could do it I.E cap BUT a months loan for Budgie would be nice as the Roosters do not seem to need him.
DaveO

Post by DaveO »

stevethegas wrote: That said, I'm really sorry for the lad. He was looking the real deal and the half back combination was firing far better with him and Smith than any combination we've had since.
Let's hope this isn't too serious.
I feel sorry for him as well but saying the half back combination of him and Smith was better than anything since isn't saying much as it was far from perfect itself. Williams seemed to be trying too hard at times maybe to make up for the lack of anything coming from Smith.

If Williams does have a season ending injury and Wane doesn't bring Hampshire back he want's his head testing.
BriH

Post by BriH »

Two great posts Stevethegas! Now I know why you are called Stevethegas!
What about "Gas'n'air". Any good? If you like sniffing nitrous oxide I guess :D :D
bill.inger

Post by bill.inger »

BriH wrote:Two great posts Stevethegas! Now I know why you are called Stevethegas!
What about "Gas'n'air". Any good? If you like sniffing nitrous oxide I guess :D :D
I always had him down as a plumber. Just shows how wrong you can be and in retrospect, I'll apologise.
stevethegas

Post by stevethegas »

Thank you all for the kind comments.

It was a friend in the pub who gave me the handle, and it kind of stuck. The gas in question is of course nitrous oxide - laughing gas. It's a good painkiller, but not an anaesthetic.

Ironically in more recent years I was doing anaesthetics mostly with intravenous drugs only, so no gas at all.

Anyway I see a new thread has appeared on General Rugby League which I may have to address.

Cheers, and thanks again.
Stevethegas