Fair Result

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
DaveO

Re: Fair Result

Post by DaveO »

OJ posted:
with the short term signings at Warrington, Hull and Bradford it is going to be very interesting to see who comes out on top. Have to say I think my money will be on Bradford.
Who cares? Those three clubs have reduced the competiton to a farce with their ringers.

Dave
ChrisA

Post by ChrisA »

DaveO posted:
ChrisA posted:
We have had 4 goods wins, but tonight showed were we are at realisticaly, we have imoroved alot over the last few months, but not enough to challenge the big boys. It all stands us in good stead for next year though, the young guys will bulk up and be a year wiser in their development, plus the new guys and players returning from injury, thats the scant consolation I'm taking now from what is left of this year.
I can't see how it tells us much all about where we are. The ref set the course of the game and far too many players missing to make this one a representative game for the team. It is like saying because we beat Leeds we will win SL. I don't think we can draw any conclusions about the young players either who have come in except that have some guts for giving it a go. They are simply not of SL standard at the moment (bar about two maybe) and we don't know if they will bulk up and kick on to be so.

Dave
To me it ashows that against the best side in the leage who played with 12 men on the field and only 1 sub for half the game, we still couldnt get a result, they played a very profesional game in the second half, nothing fancy just good solid rugby.

I agree about the young guys, only Hargreaves has really impressed me, Hansens defence is solid, he always goes low like Cassidy used to do, somthing most of our forwards have trouble doing. hence the pathetic attempt by Wild when fasavwatev crashed over, he was the 1st man in the tackle and should have gone low and stopped him there, as Wild did against Talau when Gardner scored, he was at fault for 2 tries through his poor tackling technique. Tomkins doesnt look anywhere near upto the job, neither do Bewswick or Allen, Jewitt looked like a big guy for 17 years old, and he looked like he could live up to his reputation as a guy who doesnt take any crap, I know his dad and brothers played exactly the same.
DaveO

Post by DaveO »

ChrisA posted:

To me it ashows that against the best side in the leage who played with 12 men on the field and only 1 sub for half the game, we still couldnt get a result,
But who is "we"? It can only be representative if the side that played resembled the side we ought to have been able to put out there.

It shows that the 17 in the team tonight could not get a result but there is no way that 17 is representative of the best the club has to offer this season never mind the next.

We have something like 10 players out injured who would have been vying for a place. All teams have injuries but not like ours.

What the last few weeks have shown me is that Millward can coach!

BUT, I do not expect our first 17 next season to be remotely like the one that played tonight so to me, the last few weeks don't benchmark us as a side at all. They benchmark what we had available.
I agree about the young guys, only Hargreaves has really impressed me, Hansens defence is solid, he always goes low like Cassidy used to do,
You read my mind. Those are the two young players I think have cut the mustard so far. Of the two Hargreaves definately has a future. The question mark over Hansen is if he will he bulk up or not? If he does he will be great. If not, he might make a squad player.
Tomkins doesnt look anywhere near upto the job, neither do Bewswick or Allen, Jewitt looked like a big guy for 17 years old, and he looked like he could live up to his reputation as a guy who doesnt take any crap, I know his dad and brothers played exactly the same.
It is almost impossible to tell anything about these guys. I thought Tomkins did OK tonight but most of the young players have been rotated by Millward (and rightly so) so if anyone says so-and-so is going to be a top player based on the handful of games (if that) they have played I will give up.

Dave
waterside glens

Post by waterside glens »

DaveO posted:
OJ posted:
with the short term signings at Warrington, Hull and Bradford it is going to be very interesting to see who comes out on top. Have to say I think my money will be on Bradford.
Who cares? Those three clubs have reduced the competiton to a farce with their ringers.

Dave
well said, as for the broken cheek bones alberts was a pure accident while longs[who i have no love for] was sickening and terry should be ashamed of himself
Wizard_Millward

Post by Wizard_Millward »

I feel your comments on Tomkins are a little harsh. It was something like his 4th or 5th start in a row last night so it's obvious MIlly can see something there, and to be honest so can i. He's a big lad for his age and seems to have decent speed, i'm not going to say he'l be the next Denis Betts or anything yet, but I think he will become a very good player in the next few years, I also feel this way about Hansen, who I feel should be a strong competitor for young player of the year.
Fraggle

Post by Fraggle »

ChrisA posted:
We conceeded 2 tries down to forward passes, but overall we were pretty poor in every department, especially our disciplne and ball control, we scored 2 good tries, but apart from that Saints were always in control.
We looked very tired and lacking in ideas at times. Orr and Moran were hopeless after their great efforts the week before, and defensively we were probably the worst we have been since before Milly took over. Every tackle on a Saints player earned them an extra 5-10 yards as we just couldn't stop anyone dead even with 3 or 4 players in the tackle. I'm not sure why we kept kicking on the 4th tackle either, we didn't seem to be gaining anything at all from that tactic.

The forward passing from Saints was just a joke, Mr Smith didn't have a clue and I noticed that late-on some of our lads found they could get away with blatently obvious forwards as well, not that it did us any good. Smith's reaction to the fight was also disappointing, he ran away instead of trying to take control. Even the card situation was wrong, he sent Lyon off for a legitimate tackle but did nothing to the Saints player who went jumping in AFTER the fighting had more-or-less finished. KK's got competition for the worst ref of the year.
Newton really needs to sort his head out, to many times he has done what he did tonight and he has never learned, hes taken 2 guys out tonight who could now miss the rest of the season, if thats how he is and cant change then maybe he should seek employment elsewhere.
If it was the other way round and Fozzard had done what he did, we would be up in arms, you cant defend what he did and anyone who does needs to take the cherry and white goggles off.
Newton's reverted back to his Leeds days when he was one of several dirty players in their pack with Farrell, Fleary and Morley. He can't even say his passing was good last night as some of it was abysmal. Fozzard was very well behaved for him, I didn't see the padded forearm being used once. If Newton is going, then on last night's evidence he's on loss to us.
We have had 4 goods wins, but tonight showed were we are at realisticaly, we have imoroved alot over the last few months, but not enough to challenge the big boys. It all stands us in good stead for next year though, the young guys will bulk up and be a year wiser in their development, plus the new guys and players returning from injury, thats the scant consolation I'm taking now from what is left of this year.
We need to get some bigger players back for next year. Bob, for example, is just not big enough or good enough, ditto Brown, Aspinwall and Allen. I got to see the replay on Sky and saw even less of DV than on the pitch, he might as well not have been there except to contribute to a couple of good attacks. And what happened to Carney's big game that he promised us for his last home match? One failed intercept and a couple of runs that gained a couple of meters at best. It'll be all-change next season, and I doubt if many of the players that are going at the end of the season will be remembered by us for long.

Definitely a game (and a season) for us to forget, and I suspect Gilmour probabably won't remember very much of last night's game at all!
http://fraggle.fotopic.net

"You rescue me, you are my faith, my hope, my liberty.
And when there's darkness all around, you shine bright for me, you are a guiding light to me....
You are a Tower of Strength to me" - Wayne Hussey, The Mission.

Shepherd's Bush Empire - 27/Feb/08 - 1/Mar/08
[hr]
OJ

Post by OJ »

DaveO posted:
OJ posted:

Dave
Well I may not care as such but I am certainly interested. I totally agree with you that they have turned the comp into a farce and I sure as hell think the RFL should do something about it sooner rather than later but I am still interested to see what happens and I bet you watched Andrew Johns playing for Warrington tonight.
Think Sky should have had a competition this evening with a prize for the person who could tell them (to the nearest 100) how many times they mentioned his name during the broadcast.
Never argue with an idiot. He will bring you down to his level and beat you with experience.

robjoenz

Post by robjoenz »

Haha OJ. It was cringeworthy wasn't it, and when they asked Dave Hadfield who they're looking for as MOTM they might as well have given the watch straight to Johns as he converted Fa'afilis try.
MrsLam

Post by MrsLam »

robjoenz posted:
Haha OJ. It was cringeworthy wasn't it, and when they asked Dave Hadfield who they're looking for as MOTM they might as well have given the watch straight to Johns as he converted Fa'afilis try.
It was embarassing to watch. Johns this Johns that if I was a Wire fan or even player I'd be extremely ****** off right now. The rest of the team have done all the hard work to get into the top 6 and now they're talking as if Johns will be the one to win them the trophy. Sorry, but they haven't been a one man team all year why would they suddenly become it now? Am very anti Johns.
:thum: Ancient and Loyal :thum:

2005 - Play for pride
2006 - Play!
Welski

Post by Welski »

Come on Mrs Lam, Johns is a genius, he is, Stevo said so.

"Just watch the length of the pass from Johns, that's what made the try. It must have been at least 20 metres."

Yeah Stevo pure Genius. :wink:
Strongest Armpits in Rugby League