Garbage League?

Got something to discuss about RL in general? Then this is the place to post it.
deancartwright1990

Re: Garbage League?

Post by deancartwright1990 »

Absolute garbage league, the RFL sought to even out the leagues which has been done, but the quality of rugby and players has decreased.

Salary cap needs increasing, RFL need to invest time and money at promoting the sport to investers.

Look at the stars at WIGAN, SAINTS, LEEDS and BRADFORD 11- 15 years ago.

Wigan had Radlinski, Dallas, Furner, Lam, Craig Smith, Farrell. Saints had the like of Long, Cunningham, Martyn, Talau, Gidley, Lyon.

same with Leeds and Bradford and espeically them Bradford sides early 00's.

Now look at these teams. All have some suuperstars but look at the rest of the sqauds, wouldnt get anywhere near the teams back then. Looking at Saints in particular this year, Amor, Dawson, McDonnell, Vea, Burns, LMS.... not gonna get any where near the teams of the past
cpwigan

Post by cpwigan »

Oldham beat Hull KR today. Leigh are currently getting beat by a French club.
thegimble

Post by thegimble »

old hooker wrote:This is the worst SL I can recall.When the likes of Scott Moore, Jacob Miller, Nick Scruton and Liam Finn shine in a team that puts 62 points on Wigan it speaks volumes.Also when Willie Isa, Matty Smith, Lewis Tierney and Greg Burke are allowed to wear a Wigan shirt it shows firstly how poor we are and secondly the complacency of the Wigan club to have allowed us to sink so low.
But ironically this was the purpose of SL. To even out the playing field so no side could dominate as we did by buying most of the better players in. Now is the complaint by most if not all on here that we are not playing expansive rugby and putting 40 points a game on most sides. Or is it a genuine quality issue.

Look back to the pre SL (1990 to 1996) era the game was struggling back them with the mainstream due to the poor national side results which lost a lot more than they won. From 1996-2013 the England results went backwards with players like Faz, Long, Sculthorpe etc England got battered on many occasions winning the odd game here and there.

But now since the 2013 World Cup England have improved and been close to getting to a World Final and should have knocked the OZ out of the last 4 nations but for a poor VR decision.

Now I do agree the standards are awful and we are not even trying and are top of SL with half the side out and are joint top. But I would say standards world wide has dropped. There are not that many world class players in the NRL. By that I mean players that week in week out makes you want to watch the game. Thurston, Inglis, Smith and Slater are the only NRL player that is a genuine World Class player who you can compare with the greats. I do believe there is a drop in the game on a world level that might be down to wrestling on the tackle and might need looking at to speed the game up. NRL do have some good players but from little I watch of it its not on the level that is made out on here. They like SL have a few good sides and then average ones. Problem we have we have a few average ones and some truly horrendous ones.

Only way you improve is the national side you have the hardcore fans that will watch RL but the mainstream will not notice it until the national side wins or gets to the final of the World Cup. Union has leaped forward since going pro financially but it got a bigger boom when England won the WC in 2003. Do that and bigger sponsors will want to buy into it.

That rant is over.

Unless the Yorkshire clubs get things right off the pitch the game will struggle to move forward they have the worst stadiums generally and are the ones who hold back the game from moving forward due to lack of financially backing. Why should Wigan, Wire, Salford and Catalan be held back with a cap at the level it is as its only keeping sides that have won next to nothing since the 1980's at a level playing field which bloody ironically it is not. If its a level playing field where are the juniors at Cas, Wakey, HKR, Hull, Salford etc. These sides do very little to develop talent. They held up the marquee ruling why as they can not afford one. Now how is that keeping a level playing field. its a level game with the lowest denominator controlling the money.

Or to put it another way you can only run the 100 meters at the pace of the slowest in the field. Usain Bolt would move to another event as no one would watch. And that what the cap has done it has made SL more competitive but to the lowest level and still sides like Wakey will celebrate beating us 62-0 like the u won the Grand Final. And that is what is holding back SL poor financially run clubs having the same share of the pie as the ones pumping the money and players into it. This cycle will carry on and standards will drop more and more. If the NRL standards takes off as I think it will do then SL will have missed the boat again and will be left drifting along as it has been since 2004.
josie andrews

Post by josie andrews »

thegimble wrote: But ironically this was the purpose of SL. To even out the playing field so no side could dominate as we did by buying most of the better players in. Now is the complaint by most if not all on here that we are not playing expansive rugby and putting 40 points a game on most sides. Or is it a genuine quality issue.

Look back to the pre SL (1990 to 1996) era the game was struggling back them with the mainstream due to the poor national side results which lost a lot more than they won. From 1996-2013 the England results went backwards with players like Faz, Long, Sculthorpe etc England got battered on many occasions winning the odd game here and there.

But now since the 2013 World Cup England have improved and been close to getting to a World Final and should have knocked the OZ out of the last 4 nations but for a poor VR decision.

Now I do agree the standards are awful and we are not even trying and are top of SL with half the side out and are joint top. But I would say standards world wide has dropped. There are not that many world class players in the NRL. By that I mean players that week in week out makes you want to watch the game. Thurston, Inglis, Smith and Slater are the only NRL player that is a genuine World Class player who you can compare with the greats. I do believe there is a drop in the game on a world level that might be down to wrestling on the tackle and might need looking at to speed the game up. NRL do have some good players but from little I watch of it its not on the level that is made out on here. They like SL have a few good sides and then average ones. Problem we have we have a few average ones and some truly horrendous ones.

Only way you improve is the national side you have the hardcore fans that will watch RL but the mainstream will not notice it until the national side wins or gets to the final of the World Cup. Union has leaped forward since going pro financially but it got a bigger boom when England won the WC in 2003. Do that and bigger sponsors will want to buy into it.

That rant is over.

Unless the Yorkshire clubs get things right off the pitch the game will struggle to move forward they have the worst stadiums generally and are the ones who hold back the game from moving forward due to lack of financially backing. Why should Wigan, Wire, Salford and Catalan be held back with a cap at the level it is as its only keeping sides that have won next to nothing since the 1980's at a level playing field which bloody ironically it is not. If its a level playing field where are the juniors at Cas, Wakey, HKR, Hull, Salford etc. These sides do very little to develop talent. They held up the marquee ruling why as they can not afford one. Now how is that keeping a level playing field. its a level game with the lowest denominator controlling the money.

Or to put it another way you can only run the 100 meters at the pace of the slowest in the field. Usain Bolt would move to another event as no one would watch. And that what the cap has done it has made SL more competitive but to the lowest level and still sides like Wakey will celebrate beating us 62-0 like the u won the Grand Final. And that is what is holding back SL poor financially run clubs having the same share of the pie as the ones pumping the money and players into it. This cycle will carry on and standards will drop more and more. If the NRL standards takes off as I think it will do then SL will have missed the boat again and will be left drifting along as it has been since 2004.
Cracking post gimble & spot on ????????????????????????
Anyone can support a team when it is winning, that takes no courage.
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
that takes a lot of courage. #18thMan
Owd Codger

Post by Owd Codger »

Welcome to the world of make belief!
cpwigan

Post by cpwigan »

Explain WW
http://www.sportinglife.com/rugby-leag ... est-people

At least in their deepest low Hull KR are acknowledging that fans are being let down, 'cheated' when they give so much of their income / lives to the sport. Why should decent fans, fans like Josie who give up so much for their passion / love of Wigan / RL be treated so poorly.

Since the season started, before any virus; Wigan have game after game said our attack is awful but we will get it better WHEN; the play offs? Should fans even bother attending regular Wigan season games / regular season SL games when EVERY club INCL our says sorry but we were crap this week, sorry but we were crap again this week .... Our points scored is pitiful; I will surmise when Wigan review this season all they will mention is the damn virus. Well sorry the virus wasn't there at the start of the season, the week after, the week after, the week when Wane said wait until our attack clicks; wait until our attack clicks. Wane the same man who when appointed said under Madge we underachieve, we can play better, attack better, score more points. Yet the longer in post the further backward Wigan go; 2 seasons with nothing; a 3rd season being served up crap. Is you want to be deluded WW enjoy yourself BUT why should RL: / Wigan fans be short changed. I tries to remain positive, a win, good league position Etc but if a Wigan playing so badly round after round are doing so well then that is a GARBAGE league.

England, players go to the NRL largely to improved. SL is the equivalent of the Queensland Cup.

As Ratner discovered, eventually customers wake up. SL customers are being short changed. I was relieved we beat Cas, (I expected the worst) but lets be honest, we struggle to even pass the ball correctly at times.

2016 WE ARE HOPING; Sam returns firing, we are hoping Gelling produces a great offload, we are hoping Lockers throws a world class pass BUT it is hope rather than expectation of a well drilled RL team.
The booze hound

Post by The booze hound »

cpwigan wrote:Explain WW

At least in their deepest low Hull KR are acknowledging that fans are being let down, 'cheated' when they give so much of their income / lives to the sport. Why should decent fans, fans like Josie who give up so much for their passion / love of Wigan / RL be treated so poorly.

Since the season started, before any virus; Wigan have game after game said our attack is awful but we will get it better WHEN; the play offs? Should fans even bother attending regular Wigan season games / regular season SL games when EVERY club INCL our says sorry but we were crap this week, sorry but we were crap again this week .... Our points scored is pitiful; I will surmise when Wigan review this season all they will mention is the damn virus. Well sorry the virus wasn't there at the start of the season, the week after, the week after, the week when Wane said wait until our attack clicks; wait until our attack clicks. Wane the same man who when appointed said under Madge we underachieve, we can play better, attack better, score more points. Yet the longer in post the further backward Wigan go; 2 seasons with nothing; a 3rd season being served up crap. Is you want to be deluded WW enjoy yourself BUT why should RL: / Wigan fans be short changed. I tries to remain positive, a win, good league position Etc but if a Wigan playing so badly round after round are doing so well then that is a GARBAGE league.

England, players go to the NRL largely to improved. SL is the equivalent of the Queensland Cup.

As Ratner discovered, eventually customers wake up. SL customers are being short changed. I was relieved we beat Cas, (I expected the worst) but lets be honest, we struggle to even pass the ball correctly at times.

2016 WE ARE HOPING; Sam returns firing, we are hoping Gelling produces a great offload, we are hoping Lockers throws a world class pass BUT it is hope rather than expectation of a well drilled RL team.
????????
TrueBlueWarrior

Post by TrueBlueWarrior »

cpwigan wrote:Explain WW

Is this thread about a garbage league or how garbage we are?
'If you start listening to the fans it won't be long before you're sitting with them.' - Wayne Bennett
Wigan_forever1985

Post by Wigan_forever1985 »

I suppose the two kind of go hand in hand

We are one of, if not, the biggest club so if we have a poor team it's a statement about the league expectations

Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure
cpwigan

Post by cpwigan »

TB, the two go hand in hand albeit it is about the entire SL.