Lindsay insists Newtons is staying...

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
robjoenz

Lindsay insists Newtons is staying...

Post by robjoenz »

In League Express today, Maurice Lindsay quoted as saying...

"Terry Newton is on the Wigan books, and his contract will be renegotiated next season..."

We can infer from this that the contract he speaks about REnegotiating is a Wigan one.
Welski

Re: Lindsay insists Newtons is...

Post by Welski »

I can't remember which paper it was (sorry) but I was reading an article penned by Barrie McDermott recently. He was giving his assesment of the current Superleague positons/fixtures etc. The final Paragraph (completely out of context) said words to the effect that...my old mate Terry Newton will be looking to finish the season on a high as it is looking likely he won't be at Wigan next season.

Lets hope Mo is right!
Strongest Armpits in Rugby League
robjoenz

Re: Lindsay insists Newton...

Post by robjoenz »

Where does all the speculation that he's leaving come from though? A friend of a friend that once saw somebody from the club?

Reading quotes in the media all I can gather is that Newton will be staying with Wigan and it seems that so many rumours have surfaced that he is going to Bradford that is has now become a (WNAC) fact!
DaveO

Post by DaveO »

robjoenz posted:
Where does all the speculation that he's leaving come from though? A friend of a friend that once saw somebody from the club?

Reading quotes in the media all I can gather is that Newton will be staying with Wigan and it seems that so many rumours have surfaced that he is going to Bradford that is has now become a (WNAC) fact!
I think that part of the problem is that we let Farrell and Carney out of their contracts early so the assumtion is any player is fair game for a move despite having time to run on their current deal.

I am convinced that neither Farrell nor Radlinski had any idea of going to RU until the speculation started. I think the same is true with Newton in that he has not had any thought of quitting the club either.

However once speculation does start, the players start to think about it and it then appears up to them if they stay or go.

I'd even go as far as to say that neither party, player and potential new club (or code), had any idea of a move until the suggestion was made repeadedly in the press and media.

So with Newton, Bradford may have not had any thought of coming for him thinking he was under contract, Newton no thought of moving. But as soon as the speculation gets to the pitch it has now, both parties start to think a move can occur.

Before you know where you are the player is "unhappy" and asking for a release like Carney.

The solution is simple. Make it plain players will honour their contracts. Wigan have made a rod for their own backs in not enforcing the contracts of Farrell and Carney as no one believs contracts at Wigan are worth the paper they are written on anymore.

So Lindsay sayng Newton is going nowhere tells me nothing.

Dave
robjoenz

Post by robjoenz »

Schalk Brits... posted:
The deal was already done he's gone.
How do you know?
waterside glens

Post by waterside glens »

i was told this by a couple of members of the club staff after the leeds game so i believe terry,s going
Fraggle

Post by Fraggle »

waterside glens posted:
i was told this by a couple of members of the club staff after the leeds game so i believe terry,s going
As I've just written elsewhere, somebody's saying he's staying, someone else is saying he's going - one of them's got to be wrong.

Saying that, ML says Newton's contract is to be "renegotiated" next season - what does this mean? Does it mean they're going to renegotiate it so that it is no longer valid and he can go elsewhere? Or does it mean they're going to make him an offer to extend the current contract beyond the end of next year?
http://fraggle.fotopic.net

"You rescue me, you are my faith, my hope, my liberty.
And when there's darkness all around, you shine bright for me, you are a guiding light to me....
You are a Tower of Strength to me" - Wayne Hussey, The Mission.

Shepherd's Bush Empire - 27/Feb/08 - 1/Mar/08
[hr]
MrsLam

Post by MrsLam »

Tell you what, staff at Wigan Rl are crap at keeping secrets. They're always blabbing to someone about something. My friend (who works for Whelan) has been told he'll be sacked if he gives out information before the club make it official, shouldn't these people at the club be sacked as they're doing just that?
:thum: Ancient and Loyal :thum:

2005 - Play for pride
2006 - Play!
redhead

Post by redhead »

Well to be honest I'm not bothered anymore whether Newton stays or goes as I'm so sick of him dishing out penalities to the opposition. Carney could also have gone for me last year as I feel he has treated Wigan badly and made it quite clear he wanted out. But as stated why do they sign contracts and then want an early release they should be penalised for leaving ealy it may make them think about how long a contract they want before signing, if they get an offer 2 years into a 4 year dealits not the clubs fault they play for and why should they have to them consider a replacement when they thought they had this player longer.
the little walnut
thegimble

Post by thegimble »

Doug Stand posted:
Maurice Lyndsey couldn't lie straight in bed... If everyone is saying Netwon is going and only Lyndsey saying otherwise then... it does look ominous. Personally I think it's a bad move for both Wigan and Terry Newton... but if Millward thinks we can do without him then I believe him.
I seriously doubt if Godwin is as good as what people are saying... I have him at a decent enough, hardworking...slightly better than average. Whereas Newton is fighting for best hooker in SL with fat boy from up the road.

If Fat Boy is fit hes better than Newton.